in

which would you choose?

Last post 05-03-2012 9:27 PM by Arne. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2012 6:12 AM

• kahoon
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-18-2010
    • Toronto
    • Posts 92

which would you choose?

i apologize if this has been asked before. i did a search and couldn't find an answer specific to my question.

if the S3 was still offered by Cervelo and it was the same price as the S5 Team, which would you choose? i realize some people might pick the S5 because its newer looking, maybe a better way to ask the question, is which bike would you choose for an upcoming race?

thanks for your input.

• 04-30-2012 7:00 AM In reply to

Re: which would you choose?

S3. Looks much better and was used to win on grand tours

If the S5 is so good, why do I keep seeing R3's under the pro teams even on the TT's (Peter Stetina Tour de Romandie 2012 stage 5)

Has an S5 been near the front yet on a grand tour?

Cervelo S3 2011, 6.6kg with lots of bling
  • 04-30-2012 8:43 AM In reply to

• NIX
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-14-2010
    • Posts 76

S3
    2009 S2 / SRAM RED / ROTOR Q-RINGS / ZIPP 404 FIRECREST CLINCHERS
    2012 R5VWD / SRAM RED / ROTOR 3D+ WITH Q-RINGS / ZIPP 202 FIRECREST CLINCHERS
  • 04-30-2012 8:48 AM In reply to

S5 for sure
  • 04-30-2012 8:53 AM In reply to

Stephen:

Has an S5 been near the front yet on a grand tour?

I'm pretty sure Thor Hushovd was riding an S5 while wearing yellow at last year's TdF

besides, I'm pretty sure none of us here are competing in a grand tour anytime soon, so why should that matter?

• 04-30-2012 8:55 AM In reply to

Is the carbon layup on the S3 not more like the S5 VWD? So, does that complicate it. I know I love my S3, and really like the S5, but, I would not ever sell the S3 for an S5 Team.
    eyecycle
    R3, Chorus, Fulcrum Racing Zero, 15lbs14oz (Magic)
    S3, Super Record, Bora Ultra 2, 14lbs6oz (Rocket)
  • 04-30-2012 9:38 AM In reply to

gimme_some:

I'm pretty sure none of us here are competing in a grand tour anytime soon, so why should that matter?

True but we all buy Cervelos cos they are good enough to do that if we ever wanted to 8-). mine is used on fast club rides and I'm beginning to do Time Trials on it, so the ability to go fast and handle well is appreciated

I think from the quick S5 team ride I've had that its stiffer (didnt notice any better aero but it was a short ride) and maybe not as comfortable on longer rides. if I was going for a pure TT bike maybe the S5, but for comfort, handling, looks, weight. In short the S3 is a much better all rounder than the S5

Cervelo S3 2011, 6.6kg with lots of bling
  • 04-30-2012 9:47 AM In reply to

It seems like to me it depends on the stage.  The reason I think some guys don't ride the S5 because it depends on the stage.  Telansky rode the S5 for I think most of the stages in the race they just ran.  If its a mountain stage or TT  not a flat TT I think some riders might see the benifits of R vs S.  I love my S5 I have never ridden the S3 but they are both great bikes I don't think you could go wrong with either.  I live in a fairly flat area with a few climbs of less than 2 miles.  I only ride long climbs 7 to 16 miles a couple times a year when I go out of town so the S5 made sense to me.  I will tell you one thing I had an S1 before and it for me anyway has been a huge jump.  If your looking for weight then the S5 is not the way to go it is alittle heavy and I think the S3 is alittle lighter.  JMHO good luck on your choice.
  • 04-30-2012 2:27 PM In reply to

Def S3.
  • 05-01-2012 10:33 PM In reply to

eyecycle:
    Is the carbon layup on the S3 not more like the S5 VWD? So, does that complicate it.

Yes, but what does that matter? Layup is just a tool for the engineers to get the frame properties they want. It's the resulting frame properties we ride, not the layup.

I loved my S3, and it's hella fast, but I'm just a littel faster on my S5. I like faster. ;-)

• 05-01-2012 10:54 PM In reply to

I agree its about faster. S5 consistently faster in testing. Love my S2. Love my S5 more.
  • 05-03-2012 5:20 PM In reply to

d_1234:

eyecycle:
    Is the carbon layup on the S3 not more like the S5 VWD? So, does that complicate it.

Yes, but what does that matter? Layup is just a tool for the engineers to get the frame properties they want. It's the resulting frame properties we ride, not the layup

Yah. S5 Team is a more advanced bike than the S3. Bettah.
  • 05-03-2012 7:52 PM In reply to

Interesting article in the most recent Bicycling magazine by none other the Jens Voigt: despite all the advancements in technology over the last two decades, only two riders in the most recent Paris-Nice TT beat Sean Kelly's time over the same course 20 years ago. Voigt's conclusion: the bike basically doesn't matter, the engine makes the difference. The differences between the S3 and the S5 most likely do not translate to differences in a road race with the intrinsic effects of being in the pack and tactics etc. Keep working hard and buy whatever bike takes your fancy (depending on trial rides and fitting).
    2006 Lynskey Level 4 Road, Zipp 303 with PT, Ultegra Di2
    2012 Cervelo S2, Zipp 404 with PT, Ultegra
    2012 Ritchey Breakaway, 105
    Colnago Master, Ambrosio Nemesis, DuraAce
    2010 Stevens Team Ultegra Cyclocross
    2006 Raleigh Rush Hour
    2001 Giant XTC NRS1
  • 05-03-2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• Arne
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-07-2009
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 83

S3! When I got mine this winter, I had the option of getting the S5, but when I saw that the LBS had an S3 frame hanging from the ceiling of his shop, I couldn't resist. The shape is classic, the aero benefits are good enough for me . This is the bike that got me into Cervelos in the first place! I would love to see them bring this frame back into production.
    2011 S3
    2010 P2
    2009 CAAD 9
    2008 Rancilio Silvia & Rocky
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.