in

S5 weight,buildup, handling

Last post 05-01-2012 8:50 PM by tothlalaka. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2012 5:34 PM

S5 weight,buildup, handling

Hi there, New to the forum. Wonder what you guys think. I currently have a very nice 2009 spec. ed. Tdf S3 built up with SRAM Red,Specialized saddle and stem,Zipp carbon handlebar. The front end is "nervous", I don't feel a 100 % safe on long,high speed descents.There appears to be some instability at the fork,maybe at the headset and yes, I have it checked out by a good mechanic.That checks out fine. Is the S5 feels better ? Did anyone notice the same problem or it's just me. I did not feel this issue on my previous bikes. Also wonder what your experience is on the S5 ? I heard people complaining about the tall headtube and some compatibility issue with certain wheels. In my opinion, The Team edition is the best value.

Thanks much !

• 04-30-2012 6:29 PM In reply to

Re: S5 weight,buildup, handling

What wheels are you using on your S3? There should be no stability problems inherent to the frame. It is the same front end as the S2 and I have no issues with high speed descending nor does a friend that have any problems with his S2 over 50mph. I would suggest that you have your bike looked over by another mechanic, something is not right.
  • 04-30-2012 9:25 PM In reply to

Thanks ! I thought about it, was not sure whether the areo frame/fork catches that much more wind maybe. Thanks for the advice ! Don't think it's the wheel- I ride an old Hed Ardennes low rim profile wheel although that will be swapped to a new ENVE 1.25 carbon tubular once it's built.Any opinion about the other issues ! Best, Lajos
  • 04-30-2012 10:24 PM In reply to

It could be your position / fit and position of center of gravity. I love my s5 and S3 on local steep and long downhills. See this string for good discussion. http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/9895/68601.aspx#68601
  • 04-30-2012 11:59 PM In reply to

Defo something not right with your bike or fit

My S3 steady as a rock at 50 mph on either the Fulcrum 7's or the mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE's (On Conti GP4000s or four Seasons). Even in gusty conditions it wont shake

Normally insuficient weight on front wheel, headset not right, or rider stiffening up at speed

Is it a rapid pulsing or a slower vagueness?

Cervelo S3 2011, 6.6kg with lots of bling
  • 05-01-2012 8:33 AM In reply to

Pulsing in crosswinds, poor handling,conrnering "type" feeling otherwise.Wobbly at times.

I ma not the fastest descender but can handle the bike fine, there is a change from my previous rigs and I started to question my wheel too.That will be answered soon once I have my new Enve.I was fitted earlier this year but I did not feel a difference to any direction after it has been done.

• 05-01-2012 12:04 PM In reply to

+1 to taking the bike to someone else to check the headset.

Also having recently experienced some wobble myself and being puzzled by it, the answer was almost staring me right in the face.  Check your tires for wear.  For whatever reason I never though to check mine until there were no other possibilities left and soon realized that the tires were worn and past due for replacing.  Once I replaced them the wobble went away and my S5 became rock solid while descending even with stiff breezes.

Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 05-01-2012 1:02 PM In reply to

Check your wheels. Bearings, trueness, Skewer tightness and position

What wheels you running? What tyres? what Tubes? what Pressures? what age and wear?

Grab wheel rim near brakes and push side to side, any play?

Cervelo S3 2011, 6.6kg with lots of bling
  • 05-01-2012 8:50 PM In reply to

Thanks guys ! Rel. new ceramic bearings, Hed Ardennes clincher wheel, Spinstix skewer, brand new Michelin Pro 4 Service course tire, ~ 100 psi, wheel is ~ 4-5 yrs. old but I will retire it hopefully next week when my Enve comes in. I BTW became an enthusiastic fan of Enve carbon tubulars. Just finished a ride in the N. Ga mountains ("gaps" as peaople know it around here), flew through a pothole, Enve couldn't have cared less, no damage, solid as a rock.Later on, I ran through a rock and flatted my front wheel, fortunately the rear one was not affected (tubular). I will have my bike, fork and headset checked out on Thursday and go from there.Yes, there was some play in the front wheel but I am not convinced that that is the real problem since I rode this same front wheel on my previous bikes.

L

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.