in

Cervelo S5 and Zipp 404's - Major Issues

Last post 11-13-2012 8:51 AM by v70cat. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-01-2012 6:29 PM

Cervelo S5 and Zipp 404's - Major Issues

So I got my S5 and Zipp Firecrest 404's with a SRAM Red build back in December.  I parked it in the garage until just this week, waiting for the British winter to pass before braving it out on the open roads.  Monday morning brought some blue skies and sunshine...and a total disaster:

My Zipp 404 Firecrest carbon clincher with Continenal GP4000s 700x23c tyre picked up grit off the slightly wet road surface from the weekend rain.  This grit stuck to the tyre, and effectively sanded down a part of the frame, very near the rear brake, removing the paintwork.  To further damage the frame, a few dips and bumps along the country roads caused me to apply a natural downwards force into the bike, which in turn caused larger bits of road grit to puncture through the carbon frame.

I'm speaking to the retailer I purchased the frame and wheels from tomorrow, but I'd love to hear Cervelo's perspective on this.  I have read on several forum threads that Cervelo have designed the S5 frame to fit all wheel types including more modern, wider wheels such as the Firecrest shape.  If there is a limitation to only use 21mm tyres or less, I would imagine this would be widely advertised, and retailers should be informed of this?  With whom would such a warranty issue fall: Zipp or Cervelo?  Or is this at my loss...though I cannot fathom how I should be penalised for putting quality cycle components together, and a compatibility issue potentially writing off the frame entirely!!

I've compared the clearance between my Mavic Aksium w/ Conti turbo trainer tyre 700x23c and my Zipp 404 w/ Conti GP4000s 700x23c, and the difference is noticeable.  I'm afraid I haven't figured out how to upload photos, but would love to show some to assist in my explanation.  ARE ZIPP 404 FIRECREST CARBON CLINCHERS COMPATIBLE WITH THE CERVELO S5 FRAMESET? 

Cervelo, please answer this call for help.

Christophe

The number of bikes you require is derived from the equation: N+1. Where N is the number of bikes you currently own.
  • 05-01-2012 6:59 PM In reply to

Re: Cervelo S5 and Zipp 404's - Major Issues

I think you might be a little overexcited here. I have an S5 team with firecrest tubular 808 - 23's. On occasion I have picked up a rock that I heard scrape the frame but I don't consider it the end of the world. You want a tight gap for good aero, but you risk the occasional scrape of the inside of the frame that is rarely seen, kind of like looking inside the wheel well of a car.

It certainly isn't anything structural (otherwise you should stop and clear out some major grinding stone, if that could even occur), and since it's cosmetic, on the inside of the wheel well equivalent, no biggie for me. 

• 05-01-2012 10:25 PM In reply to

Agree with you colorchange, the tight clearance helps aero and a few stones scraping the paint isn't any big deal.

• 05-01-2012 10:46 PM In reply to

• Twize
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2012
    • Posts 5

Chistophe, I agree with what's been said. I have a S5 and have a few minor scratches from small road debre that got stuck to the tire after rolling over a wet area then to dry. Again minor scratches and only cosmetic... BUT you stated "...which in turn caused larger bits of road grit to puncture through the carbon frame." If it punchured through the paint and into damaging the carbon (actually going through it), then this is NOT cosmetic and IS structural. Do you have any pictures you can upload to help show this? Thanks for posting this.
  • 05-02-2012 2:09 AM In reply to

Clearance between the frame and the Zipp 404 rear wheel - apologies for the off centre brake.
    The number of bikes you require is derived from the equation: N+1. Where N is the number of bikes you currently own.
  • 05-02-2012 2:13 AM In reply to

Clearance between Mavic Aksium & turbo tyre with the frame
  • 05-02-2012 2:15 AM In reply to

The back of the bike, clearly showing not a scrape, but a large area where the paint has been sanded off.

The back of the bike, clearly showing not a scrape, but a large area where the paint has been sanded off.

• 05-02-2012 2:17 AM In reply to

And this is a close up, clearly showing a puncture point to the left hand side where there is a small patch of red.

And this is a close up, clearly showing a puncture point to the left hand side where there is a small patch of red.

• 05-02-2012 2:20 AM In reply to

So I've figured out how to post photos on this forum....have a look at the above.  Cosmetic damage?  I guess I hope so, but I fear not as a puncture carbon is more than just a scrape or a scratch - that I could deal with.

I look forward to your responses.

Christophe

• 05-02-2012 3:32 AM In reply to

Last one looks more than cosmetic, but i am not a expert
    2007 SLC Sold
    2008 R3 Di2 Calfee internally wired Lightweight C
    2012 Crumpton SL Di2
    2014 Crumpton Type 5 on order
  • 05-02-2012 7:06 AM In reply to

• Arne
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-07-2009
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 83

Is it possible that you have conti 4000S 25mm tires on?
    2011 S3
    2010 P2
    2009 CAAD 9
    2008 Rancilio Silvia & Rocky
  • 05-02-2012 8:54 AM In reply to

Wow, that is WAY worse than anything I have ever seen. Something is wrong. What tires are you running?

• 05-02-2012 9:14 AM In reply to

Hey all...

Definitely running Continental GP4000S 700 x 23C tyres (front and back) both new with the wheels and the bike. 

The wheels are Zipp Firecrest 404 Carbon Clinchers 2011 - standard size (700)

Tubes - I haven't checked these yet, but I go for Continental Race 28's as standard with a 42mm valve, so I'd be suprised to find anything else in there.  These are suitable for 18 - 25mm tyres.

• 05-02-2012 9:28 AM In reply to

Still something very wrong. Little scratches are normal, this is a large abraded patch down into the carbon. It's probably not structural yet but that is A LOT of rubbing. Just out of curiosity, what do you weigh? I'm thinking maybe major frame sag? If wheel and tire dimensions are correct, then you start looking at weirder things.

• 05-02-2012 9:59 AM In reply to

Riding an S5 in New England means that I am constantly encountering lots of extras in the road this time of year.  And I can honestly say that I've had tons of crap accumulate in the space between the rear tire and the seatube, as well as the fork.  I also run red and the 404 firecrest clinchers.  My tires are the Michelin Pro4s and I've yet to do anything quite like you have.  What is the pink stuff in the one photo?  Looks to me like you hit something or dragged something up that managed to get through the tire/ caliper area.  The only other thing I could possibly think of is that the clear coat cracked and all it took was one pebble to start chipping away at it.

Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.