in

S5/Quarq power meter compatibility

Last post 04-20-2013 2:00 PM by speedcheese. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2012 12:28 PM

S5/Quarq power meter compatibility

Hi, I'm new here but had a quick question. I have a S5 with a rotor crankset on it. I would like to upgrade to a Quarq powermeter. I guess my question is if the S975 crank would fit (I think it would) and if there is any way to attach the Quarq it to my existing rotor crankset to cut cost? Thanks for any help. Sorry if its already been answered. Michael
  • 05-03-2012 12:52 PM In reply to

Re: S5/Quarq power meter compatibility

The Rotor upgrade option is available: http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/quarq-cinqo-saturn---rotor-3d-compatible-spider-only-569-p.asp Also I think Power2Max are worth looking at for a cheaper option based upon SRM's 4 strain gauge design: http://www.power2max.de/produkt_rotor.php I'm looking at the options myself right now, I'm using an older wired SRM and want to upgrade.
  • 05-03-2012 5:18 PM In reply to

You'd have to forego the BBright I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I might suggest a G3 powertap hub laced into a decent ~30mm clincher rim (DT Swiss). I have an S5 and P3 and have a Ptap so I don't have to deal w/ two different bottom bracket standards (and use an adapter on the S5)
  • 05-03-2012 8:11 PM In reply to

The Rotor crankset will not work with BBright. You will need a 3D+ crankset, whereas the crank offered by quarq is the 3D version (not BB30).

The S975 GXP "technically" does not fit as of yet (as the adapter for the GXP is currently in transit), but several mechanics have made adapters that work with the frame. The S975 with BB30 will work with BBright. 

• 05-16-2012 7:01 PM In reply to

andrewm:

The Rotor crankset will not work with BBright. You will need a 3D+ crankset, whereas the crank offered by quarq is the 3D version (not BB30).

The S975 GXP "technically" does not fit as of yet (as the adapter for the GXP is currently in transit), but several mechanics have made adapters that work with the frame. The S975 with BB30 will work with BBright. 

I just went through this drill and ended up going with an SRM (I preferred Quarq for cost, and to a tiny extent, looks, but I needed to go with SRM due to my specific needs). I talked with Quarq and the 3D (not 3D+) crank WILL work with BBright, BUT you have to use an adaptor that allows the use of the 3D and its 24mm axle rather than the 30mm axle that you should be enjoying with BBright. So you're losing the structural advantage of BBright over BB30.

The only "true" Bbright Quarq crank right now is the S975. Which is a great choice for BBright if you're happy with the rings that come with it. But IF you want to run Q-Rings on your crank (which I do), then Quarq told me you will not get accurate readings with the S975. You CAN run Q-Rings with the 3D Quarq crank, but again, you're using an adaptor and a 24mm axle.

I asked about a 3D+ version of the Quarq and was told they were just discussing that during a morning meeting today and there are NO PLANS to come out with that crank - I'm not saying they will not at some point, and I don't know their product development cycle, but I was told there is literally no timetable whatsoever for a Quarq version of this crank.

So to summarize: the only "true" BBright Quarkq crank is the S975, and you need to stick with the SRAM rings that come with it. If you want a "true" Bbright powermeter crank and also want the option to use Q-Rings, SRM is your only choice (I spoke with them this morning, confirmed that Q-Rings do not affect the power reading and was told that if I wanted my SRM crank calibrated at the factory with Q-Rings, I should call Rotor to buy the rings, and have Rotor ship them directly to SRM - both companies happen to be in Colorado Springs so apparently this is quite common).

Good luck to you.

S5 VWD | 9070 di2 | Rotor 3D+ SRM | Enve 6.7s
    SuperX Hi-Mod Disc | SRAM Red | Rotor 3D+ SRM | Zipp FC 303s
    P5 | 9070 di2 | Quarq Elsa | Zipp 808 FC CC/Super 9 Disc CC
    T1 | Scatto | Rolf Prima FX58 / Zipp Super 9

• 05-17-2012 2:00 PM In reply to

• S Berg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2011
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 53

What refthimos said is totally accurate as I just went through the same situation with Quarq and took me 3 attempts before they would give me an answer on when a 3D+ powermeter from them may be coming.  Their answer is "At this time there are no immediate plans to support the Rotor 3D+ crank.  It has quite a different interface than the Rotor 3D and requires a substantial redesign of the crank."

I have been told by my LBS and Quarq that with a BBright frame, the SRAM S975 is the only option, although I believe the new SRAM Red powermeter would work also, but does cost a bit more.

Good luck.  I am about to pull the trigger on the SRAM, and then will need to sell my beloved ROTOR 3D+ cranks :-(

2011 R3 - Dura Ace
  • 05-17-2012 2:21 PM In reply to

S Berg:

I have been told by my LBS and Quarq that with a BBright frame, the SRAM S975 is the only option, although I believe the new SRAM Red powermeter would work also, but does cost a bit more.

You're right, the new Red crank may be another option for BBright without an adaptor, but I did ask Quarq about that crank (was actually my preferred crank going into the call) but like the S975, the crank needs to be used with the rings that it comes with and will not work with Q-Rings.

S5 VWD | 9070 di2 | Rotor 3D+ SRM | Enve 6.7s
    SuperX Hi-Mod Disc | SRAM Red | Rotor 3D+ SRM | Zipp FC 303s
    P5 | 9070 di2 | Quarq Elsa | Zipp 808 FC CC/Super 9 Disc CC
    T1 | Scatto | Rolf Prima FX58 / Zipp Super 9

• 05-18-2012 12:11 PM In reply to

• S Berg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2011
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 53

Ok, wanted to pass this along to everyone, and to refthimos in particular.  According to my LBS, the new Quarq Red power meter WILL work on the BBright frames.  However, it will NOT work with any front derailleur except the new SRAM Red.   Apparently the chainring spacing is off slightly and designed to only work with the new Red system. In my case (Dura Ace 7900 system), this means: 1. New Quarq Red powermeter/crank 2. New Red derailleur 3. New Red shift levers.  This means, not happening for me! 

I will likely pull the trigger on the S975 system unless I hit the lottery soon!

2011 R3 - Dura Ace
  • 04-19-2013 9:39 PM In reply to

I see this is old, but wanted to see what you ended up doing.  I'm debating the Quarq ELSA vs RIKEN, and the BB30 vs the GXP.  I'm thinking of going with the Quarq ELSA BB30 to retain the BBright structural advantage (as small as it may be), but wanted to see what the current thought was on this subject.  What's the best PowerMeter deal for the 2012 S5 BBright?

Thanks!

~Billy

• 04-19-2013 10:10 PM In reply to

lhs2miler:

I see this is old, but wanted to see what you ended up doing.  I'm debating the Quarq ELSA vs RIKEN, and the BB30 vs the GXP.  I'm thinking of going with the Quarq ELSA BB30 to retain the BBright structural advantage (as small as it may be), but wanted to see what the current thought was on this subject.  What's the best PowerMeter deal for the 2012 S5 BBright?

Thanks!

~Billy

Either one will fit your BBright frame without having to use adapters... the key is to buy the BB30 option of either power meter.  If you go with the GXP then you need to use the Enduro or Wheels Mfg adapters for BBright to GXP.  Simply put, anything GXP from Sram needs to use the adapters to fit on the frame.

As for what the best deal is?... well, you can find the BB30 Quarq S975 power meter nowadays for a little less than $1400, maybe cheaper on Ebay.  However, another power meter that keeps getting notable mentions on the forum is the Power2Max... they offer a Rotor 3D+ and 3DF versions which are fully compatible with BBright frames without having to use any adapters. '12 BB30 Red Quarq also works, but it is more expensive.  There are others like the new Rotor power meter around the 3D+ platform, but pricey.  Honestly I think the important thing is to find a power meter that is "native" to BBright and does not need adapters installed besides the PressFit BB which already is subject to fine/tight tolerances.

As for the BB30 Elsa... note on the pic below, there is a drive side spacer that stays, as for the non-drive side, normally you take off the ~5mm black spacer and preload nut adjuster and instead use a combination of thin ~0.5mm spacers, plus a wave/spring washer to preload the bearings while the final torque setting is applied on the drive side nut.  You may use one or the other of those two parts, it just might be easier to eliminate lateral play and have the correct torque setting by fine-tuning preload with the spacers/wave washer combo.  Really, it's up to you, whatever works best while remaining within spec.

2011 R3

www.beyondtheforum.com <--- Check it out... and sign up!!!

A convergence of bicycle technology, fun riding, pro-racing fanfare... a huge fun factor!

All taking place: May 16-18, 2014 - Santa Monica Mountains, Southern California, US
  • 04-20-2013 9:54 AM In reply to

Hutch - thanks for the detailed reply.  I didn't even know about the Power2max Rotor3D+.  Is the only disadvantage of this PowerMeter that it doesn't have the PowerBalance?  I don't think I really care about that feature anyways.  The Rotor3D+ appears lighter than the ELSA, and according to the European site it's around ~$1500, which is much less. 

If I were to get that for my S5, I would have to purchase it with the crank, correct?  I don't think my stock FSA SL-K crank will fit the Power2Max sensor spider, correct?

Thanks,

Bill

• 04-20-2013 1:36 PM In reply to

• Voye
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-20-2008
    • Posts 79

The new P2M version has the power balance, estimated left/right power.  Straight swap with the spider on your Rotor crank if you have that crankset.  Easy set-up and outstanding price for a power meter. Even if you need the entire unit (crank, rings, meter), the price is hard to beat.  Unfortunatly won't work with the FSA crank.

Talk to Micheal if you are in the Canada or the States.  Excellent service.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/12/power2max-leftright-power.html

http://www.power2max.ca/

• 04-20-2013 2:00 PM In reply to

FWIW, I run the new P2M on an S5 with Rotor crank and you can retrofit, as Voye suggests. Took me no time at all to get up and running. And so far, so good. Been rock solid, credible power figures when I compare them to my Powertap, and considerably cheaper than Quarq.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Dura-Ace 7900; Dura-Ace C50
    2011 Cervelo S1 Ultegra 6700; Dura-Ace C35
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.