in

Creackin sound (metalish)

Last post 06-22-2012 2:46 AM by bomboutking. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-12-2012 3:05 PM

• Dex99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2012
    • Posts 31

Creackin sound (metalish)

Soo here the deal, i have a Cervelo S3, it's 4 days old, 10k on it at most. I'm kinda worried about a metalish sound i hear everytime (almost everytime) i hit rough ground. The sound at first seemed like it was comming from seatpost, now i hear it on the down tube. I was wondering if you guys ever experienced something like this and how did you solved it.

The frame is untouched, all new, no incidents.

Thanks!

• 06-12-2012 3:16 PM In reply to

• S Berg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2011
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 53

Re: Creackin sound (metalish)

I don't have an S3, but wondering if what you are hearing may be the cables slapping against your frame???  This happens on my R3 on rough roads, I need to get some rubber grommets to silence the noise!!

2011 R3 - Dura Ace
  • 06-12-2012 4:09 PM In reply to

• Dex99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2012
    • Posts 31

Cables are integrated, i dont know if they are moving around in there...i hope not.

• 06-12-2012 4:47 PM In reply to

Try adjusting the tension on your pedals/ lubricate them. I have had creak with my S2 and S5. Pedals were the culprit in both.
  • 06-12-2012 5:03 PM In reply to

• Dex99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2012
    • Posts 31

Yes, i will do that. Thanks for the advice.

On my previous roadie, i had noises coming from the pedals. But in this case when i'm pedaling out of the saddle i don't hear anything. If to say something is wrong with the pedals, this noise should appear when i'm putting tension on them.

• 06-12-2012 5:05 PM In reply to

I don't know if this is the same, but my R5 with Rotor cranks started to develop a creaking sound from the bottom bracket. During the Air Force Classic ride this weekend, the noise got louder and louder and I almost abandoned the ride, but was ultimately able to finish. Took the bike to LBS (Freshbikes) and they said that my bike was one of several recently received from Cervelo with the bottom bracket cupset over preloaded, which damaged the drive side bearing. Over time, this develops lateral play and results in the noise. The noise started out as a sort of creaking, especially noticeable under hard pedaling, but it became a constant noise, sort of sounding like a bad case of cross chaining, but independent of any particular gear. Don't know how common this is, but thought I'd pass it along...
  • 06-12-2012 6:22 PM In reply to

• Dex99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2012
    • Posts 31

When first i heard it was under hard pedaling but on the saddle ( the first 2-3 pedals). The noise vanished a bit after playing around with the seatpost bolt. And it appears when on bumby roads, when hitting a bumb or small hole (not everytime). It drives me mad! Argh..carbon!

• 06-12-2012 10:15 PM In reply to

There are LOTS of threads on this forum cover the issues of creaking and cracking noises...type those two words into the the search engine and you will find lots of great info.

Here is a recent example.... http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/10183/70284.aspx#70284

EM3

• 06-13-2012 6:14 AM In reply to

• Dex99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2012
    • Posts 31

Thanks!

• 06-13-2012 8:16 AM In reply to

• racewatcher
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-09-2011
    • Newfoundland and Labrador
    • Posts 189

The seatpost on my 2010 S2 was the source of a lot of creaking noises. It took several trips to the bike shop to find it and fix it, but thankfully, all is good now. It was at the seatpost bolt area, and some carbon paste and carefull bolt torque did the trick.
    racewatcher
  • 06-13-2012 8:29 AM In reply to

• Dex99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2012
    • Posts 31

Tomorow i will take the bike down to the bike shop and i hope the creack will go away. Im leaning towards the seatpost too because yesterday i got of the bike and pushed the saddle in, and there it was - that ”lovely” sound. I read a couple of posts here and alot of people are dealing or dealt with this problem too. Very anoying.

• 06-13-2012 9:25 AM In reply to

Check where the seatpost attaches to the rails of the saddle.  Saddles "creak" is very common.

• 06-14-2012 4:42 PM In reply to

• Dex99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2012
    • Posts 31

I`m begining to think it`s the seatpost or saddle .Any of you guys know if carbon spokes make noise under tension? From what i read carbon spokes can make noises sometimes. But after reading this i`m inclined to think it`s the seatpost.

~~The wheels (and spokes) under go load cycling for every revolution (each part of the wheel experiences a load cycle as it passes into and out of the Load Affected Zone) at the bottom of the wheel), regardless of whether you are seated or standing, pedaling or not pedaling. If the noise happens only when seated and pedaling, a more likely source of the noise is the saddle. Saddle rails can creak where they are attached to the saddle shell, and seatpost cradles and clamps can creak when the saddle is rocked under pedaling motions. If the noise goes away as soon as you stand up or stop pedaling, I'd check there first.~~ 

• 06-18-2012 12:41 PM In reply to

Could be your rear hub. Mine does the same thing. They loosen quickly especially if new. Take the wheel off, stick an allen key in each side and tighten. It will probably kill the sound

R3 sl
    Campy Super Record 11 Speed
    Zipp 606s and Fulcrum Racing 1s
    Biking across Canada to help kids with cancer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8coLtAk36k
  • 06-18-2012 6:33 PM In reply to

• Dex99
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2012
    • Posts 31

Nope, not the hub. From what i read here there is a topic on "moving seatpost". And the sound comes from that ,i know for sure. The seatpost, no matter how tight it is (not to tight) when i hit a small bumb it moves fwd and backwards making a small click! sound, it is smaller than in the beggining but it is still there. My last hope will be to re lube with Tacx Carbon Composite and check if the sound will go way, if not, Cervelo will have to claim it as warranty.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.