in

BBright compatibility w/SRAM and Ultegra cranksets

Last post 08-01-2012 3:09 AM by slick. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-01-2012 1:32 AM

• slick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2012
    • Posts 2

BBright compatibility w/SRAM and Ultegra cranksets

Recently purchased a 2012 R3 Team. I've examined some of the forum topics on this matter in depth, and am seeking confirmation of what I think is correct; there are some sharp cats on these forums, so I have no doubt that someone like Hutch or d_1234 might be able to assist . . .

I will be running 2012 Ultegra Di2 shifters and derailleurs, and most likely a SRAM PG1070 cassette.

Case 1: I have a 2012 SRAM Red (black) BB30 crankset on my current frame. Ideally, I'd like to switch this to the R3, as it would allow me to run a variety of chainrings for the variety in terrain I ride and race. As I understand it however, this crankset is a no-go, as the axle is too short to fit the BBright . . . in this case, my best option amongst the SRAM cranksets would be the S900, is this correct?

Case 2: I can pick up an Ultegra 6700 crankset at a decent price. I could fit this to the BBright, but would need to use an adapter (like the one manufactured by Rotor for this purpose); does anyone know whether using a 24mm crankset with a 30mm adapter leads to any appreciable difference in stiffness or power transfer?

Thanks in advance.

• 08-01-2012 3:03 AM In reply to

Re: BBright compatibility w/SRAM and Ultegra cranksets

slick:

I will be running 2012 Ultegra Di2 shifters and derailleurs, and most likely a SRAM PG1070 cassette.

Case 1: I have a 2012 SRAM Red (black) BB30 crankset on my current frame. Ideally, I'd like to switch this to the R3, as it would allow me to run a variety of chainrings for the variety in terrain I ride and race. As I understand it however, this crankset is a no-go, as the axle is too short to fit the BBright . . . in this case, my best option amongst the SRAM cranksets would be the S900, is this correct?

Case 2: I can pick up an Ultegra 6700 crankset at a decent price. I could fit this to the BBright, but would need to use an adapter (like the one manufactured by Rotor for this purpose); does anyone know whether using a 24mm crankset with a 30mm adapter leads to any appreciable difference in stiffness or power transfer?

Thanks in advance.

Hey slick... (catchy username)

Case 1, will not work for the reason you stated; axle is too short on the Red BB30 crankset (bummer).  The BB30 S900/S950 is the most compatible with BBright since it doesn't need adapters and it has the 30mm axle.  They are a little hard to find and some users here have reported not getting some of the spacers (mainly the drive side one) with their package, especially from ChainReactionCycles.  Keep in mind though, any GXP version of a Sram crankset will work they just need the BBright to GXP adapter.  Probably not what you are looking for, but it will work with the adapters.

BBright to GXP adapter: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=BBRight+To+GXP+BB+Adapter&vendorCode=ENDURO&major=1&minor=6

Case 2, you can certainly fit an Ultegra 6700 (they are really cheap now) with the Shimano/Rotor adapter.  Whether there is an "appreciable difference" in stiffness or not I don't know, but I am willing to bet that the Ultegra 6700 will more than likely shift better with the Ultegra Di2 FD considering Shimano has always had superior front shifting.  Perhaps others like d_1234 or someone else might have a more informed opinion/experience about running a Shimano crankset on a BBright frame.

Shimano BBright adapter: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=BB+Right+Shimano+Adapter%2DBottom+Bracket&vendorCode=CERVELO&major=1&minor=6

I like the Shimano adapter idea because it is a one and done adapter/BB interface.  For instance, to use Sram GXP cranksets, you still need a PressFit BB installed, then come the BBright to GXP adapters.  To many parts for my liking, but that's just me.  Good luck.

2011 R3

www.beyondtheforum.com <--- Check it out... and sign up!!!

A convergence of bicycle technology, fun riding, pro-racing fanfare... a huge fun factor!

All taking place: May 16-18, 2014 - Santa Monica Mountains, Southern California, US
  • 08-01-2012 3:09 AM In reply to

• slick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2012
    • Posts 2

Re: BBright compatibility w/SRAM and Ultegra cranksets

Many thanks for your prompt response Hutch, I appreciate the gen.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.