in

New version of Sram Red for 2012

Last post 07-10-2012 2:37 PM by Hutch. 49 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-15-2012 10:20 AM In reply to

Re: New version of Sram Red for 2012

I way say May is a relatively safe bet.

• 01-15-2012 10:34 AM In reply to

Good question... a friend of mine went to the shop the other day to put the order in for it and was told it could be a while since pro teams will have first dibs.  I don't think you will have to wait until the summer, but maybe mid-spring is a more realistic time frame.  If you go through LBS it always depends on how proactive they are with their communication channels with Sram.
    2011 R3

www.beyondtheforum.com <--- Check it out... and sign up!!!

A convergence of bicycle technology, fun riding, pro-racing fanfare... a huge fun factor!

All taking place: May 16-18, 2014 - Santa Monica Mountains, Southern California, US
  • 01-15-2012 10:52 AM In reply to

• Arne
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-07-2009
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 83

I am assuming that it will take longer than I am willing to wait! I may just get the current groupset (Red or Dura Ace) and then think about upgrades the following year...after all the reviews have been done. I am hoping that riding season here in Montreal will begin in March! Sram Red Black's announcement last February took until the summer to get to the shops here...:(
    2011 S3
    2010 P2
    2009 CAAD 9
    2008 Rancilio Silvia & Rocky
  • 01-15-2012 12:41 PM In reply to

• joel kelly
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-28-2011
    • Teignmouth, Devon, UK
    • Posts 220

They will get it out ASAP for 2012 as they want everyone to have it. I would say March at the latest, I'm not sure though.

Joel Kelly

Cervelo S2
    Zipp 404 tub
    Force/Red mixed groupo
  • 01-15-2012 2:08 PM In reply to

Arne:
    I am assuming that it will take longer than I am willing to wait! I may just get the current groupset (Red or Dura Ace) and then think about upgrades the following year...after all the reviews have been done. I am hoping that riding season here in Montreal will begin in March! Sram Red Black's announcement last February took until the summer to get to the shops here...:(
    I think going with another groupset for now is a smart and safe decision. You'd want something this new to be thoroughly tested.
  • 01-15-2012 9:15 PM In reply to

More speculation... looks like shifters on these bikes are from Sram... my observation is only based on the canting of the levers.  The bikes are definitely S5s, the questions are... are the components Sram (on the left), maybe Shimano or Campy (on the right) and why are the Magura big dogs testing this stuff?  Interesting!

2011 R3

A convergence of bicycle technology, fun riding, pro-racing fanfare... a huge fun factor!

All taking place: May 16-18, 2014 - Santa Monica Mountains, Southern California, US
  • 02-01-2012 10:52 AM In reply to

More details, including weights, prices, pics/diagrams, FD/RD installation video and a sort of available date... and confirmation that there is a hyrdraulic disc brake and a hydraulic rim brake in the future...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/01/unveiled-new-2012-sram-red-lighter-quieter-more-aero-better-ergonomics/#more-39462

2011 R3

• 02-01-2012 4:45 PM In reply to

Nobody will really know how well the front shifting will be, but in this short video you get a glimpse of it and some sound to go along...

http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/Special-Features/video/10/1236/New-RED-Shifting-Video

Edit/Addition:  I'm really digging the look of the new chainring for my S900 crank, unfortunately it looks like it was ingeniously designed despite no change to the BCD...

(Sram's description:  "Stiffer X Glide R chainrings feature thicker construction, advanced shift timing pins and ramps, which are optimized for shifting with the YAW Front Derailleur")

Not many ways to get around the problem either, because even if you upgrade your FD and bolt on the new chainrings so that shifting is optimized, your existing Sram Red or Force shifters will have a needless trim to go through when shifting... it "could" work, just not exactly how I thought it was going to... very smart Sram, very Smart! 

If the cassette is quieter then at least I have a future purchase, however, at $335(retail), things change.

2011 R3

• 02-02-2012 4:15 PM In reply to

So without knowing the specific dimensions of the 2012/2013 Sram Red crankset options, "COMPATIBILITY ISSUES" in BBright frames are still up in the air.  Also, Sram has "almost" forced people that were looking to only upgrade their crankset or FD almost impossible because of the new "Yaw" technology, chainring design and shifters.

Here are my guesses:

Currently the only Sram compatible cranks with BBright are the S900 BB30/S950 BB30/S975 Powermeters.  This is due to the axle being long enough to fit BBright's 79mm BB shell and accomodate the required spacers and wavy spring washer.  S900 (first pic), S975 Quarq powermeter (below)

Sram has not specified whether or not the BB30 option of the new 2012/13 crankset will be like its last Sram Red BB30 crankset, which was not compatible with BBright due to the axle not being long enough.  There appears to be two different cranks, the 2012/13 GXP (first pic) Sram Red with the non-drive side arm having the nut for final torque.

Then, we have this other crankset (just above) which I would assume its the BB30 option (above pic) with the nut for final torque on the drive side in the center of the spider and the axle attached to the non-drive side.  By the way, this is how the S900 BB30 works.

The only thing we don't know is whether the axle on the future Sram Red 2012/13 BB30 crankset will be long enough (like the S900 BB30) in order to fit natively into a BBright frame with the spacers and wavy/spring washer.  If the axle is long enough, then this new 2012/13 Sram Red crank will be a good BBright upgrade, except the problem then lies with marginal  shifting compatibility due to the crank/chainrings working best with the "Yaw FD" and new 2012/13 Sram shifters.  If the axle is not long enough, then only the new 2012/13 Sram Red Quarq Powermeter is natively compatible with BBright frames using a PressFit30 BB along with spacers and wavy spring/washer, however, the same problem comes up with front shifting given the crank is optimized with the new "Yaw FD" and 2012/13 shifters.  Without knowing all the specifics, it seems to me that Sram has developed this new group in a very clever way.  You can't really take advantage of the revised front shifting unless you go with the new crank/FD/shifters.  Furthermore, if only the Red/Quarq powermeter works natively with BBright because of a longer axle, then you are hooked for $2045.  GXP adapters, I would assume work with the new GXP crank, but the same front shifting dilemma arises.

Below is the data from the Quarq website regarding the new 2012/13 Sram Red Quarq powermeter:

Compatibility

The SRAM RED Quarq power meter has been designed and integrated into the RED group set. It is only compatible with 2012 SRAM RED chainrings and must be combined with the 2012 SRAM RED Yaw™ front derailleur and shifters. It uses existing SRAM RED GXP and BB30 bottom brackets.

Options

• 53/39 and 50/34
    • 170mm, 172.5mm, 175mm and 177mm
    • GXP (fits GXP, Press Fit GXP) and BB30 (fits BB30, Press Fit 30, BBright) <---------- "IMPORTANT"

Availability and Price

53/39 GXP - April 2012
    50/34 GXP, 53/39 BB30 and 50/34 BB30 - May 2012
    MSRP: GXP $1995, BB30 $2045

Sorry for the long post everyone... please add or correct me if you have some extra data...

2011 R3

• 02-02-2012 6:00 PM In reply to

Hutch,

Also note that on new Red, one of the chain ring bolts mates/fastens directly the back side of the crank arm, so I don't even know if the new chain rings will be compatible with anything other than a Red crank. 

'08 SLT (RIP)
    '10 R3 (RIP)
    '12 R3 Team - SRAM Red
  • 02-02-2012 7:55 PM In reply to

goodshot:

Also note that on new Red, one of the chain ring bolts mates/fastens directly the back side of the crank arm, so I don't even know if the new chain rings will be compatible with anything other than a Red crank. 

Yeah, I was trying to do some overlapping of the new rings and old rings to see how the bolt holes would line up, but didn't get anything concrete.  I did read that the BCD remains the same.  Looking at the old and new spiders they both appear to have equal distance between arms, perhaps as you rotate the new chainring it will still fall in line with the BCD pattern of the older cranks.  What do you think after looking at these pics?

Edit/Addition:  Another thing I noticed is the positioning of the pin that prevents the chain from falling between the crankarm and the chainring... that pin would be offset no matter what and not lineup directly with the crankarm.

2011 R3

• 02-02-2012 8:51 PM In reply to

• Arne
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-07-2009
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 83

An article in Velonews mentions a handlebar mount for cycle computers similar to Srm. I am unsure if this is a new sram red accessory, or just something that was on their test rigs. Has anyone heard of this or seen it? "Also on show was a nifty little forward mount for Garmin 500 head units, placing the unit in front of the bars like an SRM Powercontrol head unit." http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/bikes-and-tech/new-red-going-a-bit-deeper_205296
    2011 S3
    2010 P2
    2009 CAAD 9
  • 02-02-2012 8:58 PM In reply to

I saw this one from Cyclingnews' James Huang's twitter pics... it had this caption: "Here's a look at that upcoming Quarq mount for Garmin Edge 500. Pretty slick little widget. Can't wait to get one."

2011 R3

• 02-02-2012 9:41 PM In reply to

i hope they hurry it up.... i want to hurry up and get this piece of crap DA7900 shift set off my 2010 S3 and replace it with red.... 2011 will be cheaper now this is coming out!... might have some half decent shifting then!!!
  • 02-02-2012 10:52 PM In reply to

• Arne
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-07-2009
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 83

I wonder if it will fit the 800?
    2011 S3
    2010 P2
    2009 CAAD 9
Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.