in

Cervelo's frames, cracks and warranty

Last post 11-15-2012 6:08 PM by goodboyr. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2012 3:34 PM

Cervelo's frames, cracks and warranty

Cervelo is known as one of the top brand mfrs in the world for quality, state-of-the-art bikes.   However, their frames also appear to have a higher proportion of defects than other top-brand frames out there.  Notwithstanding the high proportion of defective frames, Cervelo has maintained it's good-will and reputation in large part by building a reputation for willing replacing defective frames with new frames.  Unfortunately, this may be changing and could be a dangerous new trend for Cervelo that could severely damage its good will and reputation that it has spent $millions to build and years to establish.

I recently brought my Cervelo R3 into my LBS because of a crack in the LBB area.  The LBS inspection of bike and components, photos, etc confirmed my assertion that the bike had not been wrecked or otherwise physically damaged by an accident.  Despite the LBS inspection, and my representation that the bike had never been in an accident, Cervelo appears to be challenging both my word and the inspection by the LBS store.  The LBS is confident in its review and inspection, and has gone back to Cervelo for another try.  We'll see what happens.

• 11-12-2012 3:44 PM In reply to

Re: Cervelo's frames, cracks and warranty

It does seem like there are a lot of posts referencing cracks.  Best of luck to you with the claim.  I hope it works out to your satisfaction.
  • 11-12-2012 3:59 PM In reply to

What year was your frame?
    2013 R3 Sram Red/Rotor 3D+
    2012 S5 Sram Red/Rotor 3D+

DA C24 9000 Wheelset
  • 11-12-2012 4:15 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 199

Tom, I am sorry to hear about your R3. I can assure you that our warranty return rate is below the industry norm. You might find a number of posts here and there of riders claiming cracks that might make you doubt that claim. However, we are also the only brand (that I know of) that has a forum and invites members to openly discuss the good, the bad and the ugly experiences. We are also one of the few that offers a lifetime warranty and does not reduce the return window. If you have concerns with your particular warranty claim or would like to share your direct feedback, you can write in via our Contact Us form. You can also feel free to PM or email me directly. http://www.cervelo.com/en/contact.html
    David Byer, Cervélo
  • 11-12-2012 4:24 PM In reply to

• goodboyr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Thornhill, Ontario
    • Posts 632

And with that, the perceived deterioration of good will and reputation, speculated on by the OP, has now been restored. Thats why I own Cervelos.

A lesson is that just because you see something talked about in a forum, does not provide statistical evidence of a "trend". As David states, they stand behind the product and are far more accessible than some others.

Bobbo
    '06 R3, Fully Internal Dura Ace 7970, Zipp 303FC Clinchers
    S5 Team, Ultegra Di2, Zipp 101
    RCA 56cm, Dura Ace 9070, Zipp 404 FC Tubbies

• 11-13-2012 10:00 AM In reply to

goodboyr:

And with that, the perceived deterioration of good will and reputation, speculated on by the OP, has now been restored. Thats why I own Cervelos.

A lesson is that just because you see something talked about in a forum, does not provide statistical evidence of a "trend". As David states, they stand behind the product and are far more accessible than some others.

X2. I think its perception. When a company allows its users to vocalize on its own forum, the number of complaints appears huge. I would venture to guess that this perception of higher-than-normal incidents of Cervelo bikes is based upon how their product is used. Most Cervelo owners (that I know of) are serious cyclists that do some hard riding compared to most average cyclists therefore that ratio of returns-to-bikes sold may appear high. Specialized and Trek have sold millions of frames but IMO only a small percentage of those frames are sold to and returned under warranty by their own higher-than-normal users. From that view, the ratio of defective returns to the number of overall bikes sold appears to be lower. To the OP, Cervelo has provided a way to communicate directly via this Forum or by PM. They encourage it and they have their own staff reviewing it (including their own Chief Engineer). How can you not be thrilled?! I would say that your LBS may be talking to the wrong guy (or that particular MFG rep they are dealing with is having a sucky day). Cervelo affords the opportunity to work with more of their people to get your concerns addressed. That's a great company and that's why I own a Cervelo. Just my 2 cents.
    2010 RS SRAM RED
    2009 Trek Madone 5.2 H2 Ultegra
    2008 Giant Trance X0 XTR
  • 11-15-2012 5:51 PM In reply to

Well, the "final" decision from Cervelo warranty dept was that the cracked frame was caused by an accident.  However, I have not crashed once on the bike, and the cocal Cervelo-certified bike store, after a thorough evaluation determined that it had not been in a crash.  No marks at all on the bike, components, etc.  I have taken very good care of the bike.  I'm very surprised by Cervelo's position on this.

As an attorney, this will make a good case for breach of warranty/contract, and will be interesting as I will subpoena testimony from the LBS mechanic and the Cervelo engineers (who have only seen pictures).  I'll give it one more try with an email appealing to the managers at Cervelo to review this matter.  But this may be a good case to take to a judge as a matter of principle.  This is not about the money, but about honoring one's commitment to one's product, as Cervelo boldly professes a lifetime warranty for their frames......we'll see what happens.  The LBS employee stated that maybe the Cervelo engineer was having a bad day...perhaps the managers will review the matter more appropriately.  Stay tuned.

• 11-15-2012 5:55 PM In reply to

I would like your help David in getting this in front of the appropriate manager at Cervelo....no need to carry on here in this open forum.  Thank you.

The "final" decision from Cervelo warranty dept was that the cracked frame was caused by an accident.  However, I have not crashed once on the bike, and the local Cervelo-certified bike store, after a thorough evaluation determined that it had not been in a crash.  No marks at all on the bike, components, etc.  I have taken very good care of the bike.  I'm very surprised by Cervelo's position on this.

As an attorney, this will make a good case for breach of warranty/contract, and will be interesting as I will subpoena testimony from the LBS mechanic and the Cervelo engineers (who have only seen pictures).  I'll give it one more try with an email appealing to the managers at Cervelo to review this matter.  But this may be a good case to take to a judge as a matter of principle.  This is not about the money, but about honoring one's commitment to one's product, as Cervelo boldly professes a lifetime warranty for their frames......we'll see what happens.  The LBS employee stated that maybe the Cervelo engineer was having a bad day...perhaps the managers will review the matter more appropriately.  Stay tuned.

• 11-15-2012 6:08 PM In reply to

• goodboyr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Thornhill, Ontario
    • Posts 632

Deleted.
    Bobbo
    '06 R3, Fully Internal Dura Ace 7970, Zipp 303FC Clinchers
    S5 Team, Ultegra Di2, Zipp 101
    RCA 56cm, Dura Ace 9070, Zipp 404 FC Tubbies

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.