in

S5 paint problem

Last post 07-27-2012 11:44 AM by RRWJ. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-20-2011 8:59 PM

S5 paint problem

Hi everyone, I am posting this issue because I am really disappointed with the frame paint of my new S5. It has no more than 100 miles ( 2 rides and 3 weeks of purchased) and the paint is falling. I never ever put my bike on a trainer or something like that. I want to ask this forum if this is normal?? What can I do in this case? Look at the pictures. Thanks for your advice http://www.flickr.com/photos/70226942@N08/6373483351/in/photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/70226942@N08/6373482959/in/photostream
  • 11-20-2011 9:28 PM In reply to

Re: S5 paint problem

Wow that sucks
    2007 SLC Sold
    2008 R3 Di2 Calfee internally wired SOLD
    2012 Crumpton SL Di2
    2014 Crumpton Type 5 on order
  • 11-20-2011 11:09 PM In reply to

Unfortunately that is totally normal. The quick release deflects the paint and it often separates near the clamp area.
  • 11-21-2011 12:08 AM In reply to

d_1234:
    Unfortunately that is totally normal. The quick release deflects the paint and it often separates near the clamp area.
    +1 ...is also more likely to happen if you are over-torquing your skewers.

EM3

• 11-21-2011 10:04 AM In reply to

Thanks for your answers. So what should I do in order to avoid this, and what can I do in this case?? Paint it, put something or ????
  • 11-21-2011 10:05 AM In reply to

Looks to me like you over tightened your skewers.  They shouldn't be too tight or they can cause the frame to flew which would lead to cracked/chipped paint among other things.

TrainingPeaks Athlete Ambassasor | Team NEO
    ICEdot Athlete | Team Vega Athlete
  • 11-21-2011 10:06 AM In reply to

Automotive touch up paint, easy enough to find and apply. Usually comes in a pen format.
    TrainingPeaks Athlete Ambassasor | Team NEO
    ICEdot Athlete | Team Vega Athlete
  • 11-21-2011 10:15 AM In reply to

I had a sort of similiar issue with paint chipping away on my S5.  Similiar in that there was paint missing.  The cause of it was chain suck and there being nothing to protect the chainstay.  I'd shift onto the small ring, chain jams and I'd backpedal to get it unstuck, which is what I did on my old bike.  Thing is, the old bike didn't have such a large bb and there was a guard on the chainstay, plus plenty of room for the chain to fall on the cups.  At the time this was discovered, I was in the midst of demoing those elusive red adapters and the Cervelo customer service guy I was in talks with suggested I used clear nail polish to cover it up and protect the frame.  The chipping is under the chain ring so it isn't visible and the clear nail polish covered up/ protects that area.  He also suggested I hop off and fix the chain jam manually.

It is too bad to chip the paint on a new bike no matter how it happens, but it's better I suppose that we do it then have something major happen to cause it.

Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 11-21-2011 10:54 PM In reply to

Ok thanks for the advice. I am going to buy white nail polish. Hopefully it doesn't happen on the other side.
  • 11-22-2011 6:46 AM In reply to

I have to say -- there's a hole in the market waiting to be filled:  color matched touchup paint for high end bikes.  The nail polish advice is what we've all been working with forever and is as smart an approach as any, but boy it would be handy to have color codes like the automotive industry.  The real issue is that the bike manufacturers don't appear to be using standardized codes so a crafty paint vendor can't easily get to work in offering matched touchup containers for us.  With "normal" bikes costing $5000+ this seems like a natural fit for an online vendor.  And at $10/ish each I can't imagine that guys with far less costly rides wouldn't still be customers.  

Our choice:  cruise the nail polish aisle checking every bottle for the exact shade of red at CVS amongst the rouge and toenail files -- or -- go to some bike themed website and have the exact color code match delivered.

• 11-22-2011 7:20 AM In reply to

cawright1375:
    The cause of it was chain suck and there being nothing to protect the chainstay.  I'd shift onto the small ring, chain jams and I'd backpedal to get it unstuck, which is what I did on my old bike.

...if you are experiencing chainsuck across several bikes it sounds like you either need to work on your shifting technique (less cross gearing) and/or check your components for wear (chain and chainrings). Chainsuck is simply not normal and should not be an everyday occurrence, and should be avoided at all costs on carbon frames where the chain can gauge and damage the frame.

em3

• 11-22-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

On my Madone it was definitely a case of chainring wear.  Before it met an untimely demise, I had been hoping to squeeze one more season out of the 7800 chainrings.

As for it happening on the S5, that is most likely a result of the learning curve of a new gruppo (Red) and using a compact for the first time.  Knock wood, it hasn't happened in a long time.  And previous to the few times it happened this year was years ago before I got the 7800 and had worn down the chainrings on the stock Bontrager crank I had.

I've read about pro teams using chain catchers.  I don't recall having seen one, but I'm assuming they'd prevent the chain from hitting the frame?

Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 11-22-2011 9:23 AM In reply to

I use chaincatchers on both my Cervelo's. Better safe than sorry and at less than 10 grams no issue. No troubles on my previous bikes, but sometimes I shifted the chain off in the front with my Soloist. As the pro's use the chaincatcher also, I think it's something common.
    Soloist Carbon, Campy Record, Zipp 404
    S5 2012, Campy Chorus, Speed 6.0/8.0
    Soloist Alu to be build with Campy
  • 11-22-2011 10:51 AM In reply to

I have a K-edge on my S3....they have lots of color options and the install is easy.  But then again I can't imagine any brand that would be difficult to install if I'm being honest.

• 11-22-2011 1:07 PM In reply to

cawright is describing chain suck where the chain gets sucked-in from under the chain stays (usually due to dirty or stretched chain, or worn chainrings too), not chain drop where the chain falls off the chainrings from the top. A chain catcher will only assist in avoiding the latter. EM3
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.