in

2013 - Which Crankset, For Real?

Last post 12-21-2012 12:35 PM by NYCPrynne. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2012 11:35 AM

2013 - Which Crankset, For Real?

A few weeks ago a member posted a photo of his new S5.  I asked which group, but did not get a response.  I asked, because the crank was an FSA, not the Rotor that is listed as standard on the website or in the 2013 product catalogue I have.  Yes, I understand specifications may vary, which makes it hard to retracted previously printed, distributed material, but a website could be updated in short order.

My LBS just received their first S5's, and each shipped with the FSA crank, not the Rotor.  I asked if they ordered them that way, and they said they came that way, not a special order.  Another LBS has one, also with the FSA.

Although I'm leaning more towards an R5 over the S5, I've been considering both, but I have to say, a large part of the "cool factor" was the bikes have been advertised on the website as coming with the Rotor cranks.  In addition to appearance, I associate Rotor with higher quality, and FSA as cost down.

What gives, and which cranks comes with the bike - the Rotors shown on the website, or the lower end FSA?

• 12-04-2012 11:45 AM In reply to

• GT1
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2008
    • Posts 934

Re: 2013 - Which Crankset, For Real?

if it is the FSA K Force Light BB Right you will have the better crank

it may be worthwile to inquire (and let us know :) )

txs 

• 12-04-2012 12:14 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 438

My LBS posted a picture on FB of the 2013 S5 for sale and it has the FSA low-end crankset, SRAM Rival groupset and Easton wheelset.

I think it would be best to confirm what components are on the S5 before purchasing...

2017 Cervelo S5 SRAM eTap
    2018 Cervelo R5 Classics Edition Limited Frameset
  • 12-04-2012 1:24 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies. 

The bikes at the LBS were Ultegra, with the FSA Gossamer crank. 

Regarding groups,  I don't even see Rival as a listed option on the website for the 2013 S5.  I'm leaning towards Dura-Ace 9000, but certainly don't want a Gossamer crank on that build.

• 12-04-2012 8:02 PM In reply to

• rog23
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2012
    • Posts 36

According to Racycles, the 2013 S5 Rival comes with the FSA crank while the 2013 S5 Ultegra comes with the Rotor crank.
  • 12-04-2012 8:18 PM In reply to

The website shows Ultegra with Rotor, but the Ultegra bikes the LBS received came with FSA Gossamer.

• 12-05-2012 6:34 AM In reply to

• rog23
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-18-2012
    • Posts 36

Wierd and sad... The Rotor crank was a real plus for 2013... I hope Cervelo solves it.
  • 12-09-2012 12:24 PM In reply to

The website no longer functions where you can see the detailed specifications for the various builds.  As an example, for the R5, it shows the components for Red, but clicking the Dura-Ace function doesn't work.  For the S5, the VWD Dura Ace 9070 shows, but clicking to see the component specs for the standard S5 doesn't.

My LBS received two more S5's, all with the FSA Gossamer low-end crank with Ultegra versus the Rotor that was previously advertised.  The LBS said they don't get to select cranks, these just come in this way. 

The wheels shown are also misleading and are for illustration purposes only, but the crank spec specifically stated Rotor.  Cervelo should consider truth in advertising.

• 12-09-2012 3:46 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 234

Golfster, I understand your concern but the FSA is actually very comparable to the 3DF. The reason why we don't make a broad change to the website is that substitutions are only made in small numbers when a part is not available to us in time. The substitution may not affect every order so changing the website would not be accurate for others. We only substitute with parts that are of equal value and similar performance spec (weight, stiffness etc.) and we do so to get people on their bikes earlier. We will not put that FSA crank on the S5 VWD Dura-Ace bikes and we already have 3D+ cranks in stock.
    David Byer
    S5 R5 T1
  • 12-09-2012 4:13 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 438

David:
    We only substitute with parts that are of equal value and similar performance spec (weight, stiffness etc.) and we do so to get people on their bikes earlier. We will not put that FSA crank on the S5 VWD Dura-Ace bikes and we already have 3D+ cranks in stock.

I am considering the R5 Red this spring, specifically for the Rotor crankset. I would rather wait for the Rotor crankset than say having a K-Force Light crankset.

• 12-09-2012 8:34 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 234

Kookie, you can choose to wait it out if you prefer. Just be sure to discuss this with your retailer. The K-Force Light is a pretty nice crank as well.
    David Byer
    S5 R5 T1
  • 12-09-2012 8:41 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 438

David:
    Kookie, you can choose to wait it out if you prefer. Just be sure to discuss this with your retailer. The K-Force Light is a pretty nice crank as well.

Great to know...Thanks David!

Agree about the KFL. I have it on my S5, just wanted something different this time around.

• 12-09-2012 9:20 PM In reply to

• rmerka
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-19-2012
    • Texas Hill Country
    • Posts 1,421

David:
    Golfster, I understand your concern but the FSA is actually very comparable to the 3DF. The reason why we don't make a broad change to the website is that substitutions are only made in small numbers when a part is not available to us in time. The substitution may not affect every order so changing the website would not be accurate for others. We only substitute with parts that are of equal value and similar performance spec (weight, stiffness etc.) and we do so to get people on their bikes earlier. We will not put that FSA crank on the S5 VWD Dura-Ace bikes and we already have 3D+ cranks in stock.
    Seems like a downgraded component to me. If cervélo actually was subbing a K-force or an SLK that would be comparable, but not the the basic FSA bbright. That's how I'd see it if it was my bike.
    2012 R5
    2012 S5
    2014 S3 My son's bike now!
    My Ti bike

Had a fantastic time at --> COR!!!
  • 12-09-2012 9:36 PM In reply to

rmerka:
    Seems like a downgraded component to me. If cervélo actually was subbing a K-force or an SLK that would be comparable, but not the the basic FSA bbright. That's how I'd see it if it was my bike.

Its definitely a downgrade. The FSA bbright crankset is equivalent to the FSA gossamer but with a 30mm spindle specific for bbright.

2012 Ridley Noah Pro-custom painted / SR11-EPS
    ??? / SR11-EPS
  • 12-12-2012 10:36 AM In reply to

Equal in the number of teeth in the chainring only.  Compare component prices of Rotor to the cheap FSA cranksets being substituted, without advance notice I might add, and there is  significant difference of several hundred dollars on that part alone.  And the FSA's being used for this are not the SLK or any other "top tier" FSA, if there is such a thing, but the Gossamer.  Yet, sadly, no adjustment to the price of the bike. 

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.