in

R3 vs S2

Last post 02-04-2013 11:06 PM by Greg Coleman. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2013 4:12 AM

• RoyalV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-28-2013
    • Posts 9

R3 vs S2

Hello, I'm buying my first Cervélo for all around use (from long rides to shorter blasts), and now contemplating between R3 and S2. So any recommendations between those? I'm living in Finland, we don't have central/south European type of mountains here, but still don't want to give any kind of leveling in uphill etc... Thanks for answers beforehand!
  • 01-29-2013 1:50 PM In reply to

Re: R3 vs S2

If racing, triathlons and time trials aren't in your future then I'd recommend the R3. It is very well suited for long distance riding, rough roads and climbing but not so much speed.

As with any road bike, hill climbing ability is determined by what type of crankset you get: Compact for more hilly terrain, and standard for flatter riding.

2012 R3 SRAM Force 22, Kinlin XR31T rims on WI hubs, Rotor 3D+
  • 01-29-2013 2:21 PM In reply to

Test ride both and then decide. My 2 cents.
    2009 S2, SRAM Rival, 50/34 Rotor Q-Rings, Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbons / Mavic Ksyrium SLs 7.2Kg
  • 01-29-2013 2:36 PM In reply to

Check out the S5. More $ but it's aero plus similar geometry to the R3 so you get the best of both worlds.
  • 01-29-2013 3:21 PM In reply to

I have an S2 and it climbs like a beast. It didn't require any exotic components to get it down to 15 lbs (size 54). It probably is a harsher ride than the R3, but with sensible tire pressure and a carbon-railed saddle it is totally tolerable for all-day riding. If the aggressive position on the S2 suits you, then it's a great bike. If you need something a bit taller in the front, then get the R3 or S5. The S5 will be much more aero, but heavier.
  • 01-29-2013 3:56 PM In reply to

WildeOne:
    Test ride both and then decide. My 2 cents.

+1 on this, and will I dare say to the angst of some on this forum to try as many other bike makers/models as you can as well :-0 . For most people the choice becomes very obvious as the bike will "speak" to you like no other!

• 01-30-2013 10:44 AM In reply to

• racewatcher
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-09-2011
    • Newfoundland and Labrador
    • Posts 215

This question is like saying "I really like this new girl, but her sister is really hot too, which one should I ask out?" +1 on riding both bikes, one of them will just feel right, and you'll know it. For the record, I went with the S2.
    racewatcher
  • 01-30-2013 2:39 PM In reply to

• RoyalV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-28-2013
    • Posts 9

I've ridden lot of bikes and that way ended up Cervélo (R3). I really like the bike, but since I drive more or less at "flatter grounds" I have started contemplating on S-series bikes too. My only problem is that there ain't no S2/S5 for testing at my size at my area - so I try to figure out are the S-bikes worth of "trouble". My remaining questions: R3 - Is it too climbing oriented bike for my surroundings (If I would live in Spain/Italy/etc. my decision would be easy)? Bikes flat performance? S2/S5 - Are these comfy enough for longer rides? Does the aero-benefits only be useful at 35+ km/h? But hey - thanks for the replys! This is exactly girl-sister-scenario :)
  • 01-30-2013 2:49 PM In reply to

Congrats on your new R3(?) If you do a lot of group rides (i.e. drafting) you won't feel so much the aero advantage of the S2. Unless you compete at a very high level of cycling, you can't go wrong with either of them. I find the S2 to be a bit more stiff (not to say harsh) in long rides and i can "feel" it after 80km+ Haveing said that, I was able to complete a few centurions on them (including some serious climbs) and survived :-) Long story short - if you can afford 2 bikes go for it :-)
    2009 S2, SRAM Rival, 50/34 Rotor Q-Rings, Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbons / Mavic Ksyrium SLs 7.2Kg
  • 01-30-2013 3:45 PM In reply to

• RoyalV
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-28-2013
    • Posts 9

Sorry for misleading - I haven't bought the bike yet. Read the message, and it was bit confusing. So still battle going on...
  • 01-30-2013 6:51 PM In reply to

• Andrea
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Lugano - Switzerland
    • Posts 3

Ciao I am a new comer in this forum.

I want to tell you couple of things. The R3 is polivalent to all road conditions; you can use it uphill as well as in a flat road....simply changing the wheels and you will have a reasonable improvement in aerodynamic penetration. Obviously you will keep having an high drag comparing to an S5 or P5.

When I bought my first Cervelo i didn't know what to choose between an S5 and a R3. At the end I chose to buy the R3 because I could cover any type of road simply, as I have said above, changing the wheels with a higher trim.

However, the S5 is perfect for your road because they are basically flat...but if you decide to go for a longer distance, then the S5 would be a bit uncomfortable. Furthermore, the R3 absorbs very well all the imperfections of the road and makes you feel more stable and secure on the handling. The fork FK25/26...is the best fork in the world to my advice because are the most aerodynamic forks in the market until now and very stiff

So I decided to buy an R3 for all distances, flat roads, mountains and a P5 when I want the maximum speed on a flat road. However, the dream of all cervelo fans....I think is to have the three of them: R5, S5, P5 = roughly 30'000.- CHF

In conclusion if you have only one choice which means only buy one bicycle, then I would get the S5 and I would buy two pairs of wheels:

1) if you go uphill (Mavic Cosmic Carbon Ultimate or Mavic R-sys)

2) if you go flat roads (Mavic Cosmic Carbon 80mm front and rear)

let me know what do you think about it.

kindest regards

Andrea

Andrea
    Switzerland
  • 01-30-2013 9:10 PM In reply to

What if both sisters feel really right?
  • 01-30-2013 9:31 PM In reply to

• ifp123
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-30-2012
    • Maryland (DMV) area
    • Posts 776

..or - if one sister was a gymnast, and the other a bodybuilder (LOL)?

• 01-30-2013 10:29 PM In reply to

ifp123:

..or - if one sister was a gymnast, and the other a bodybuilder (LOL)?

I think we've gone off the anthropomorphical deep end here... ;)

• 01-31-2013 3:16 AM In reply to

• Andrea
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Lugano - Switzerland
    • Posts 3

I would take both of them...

Andrea
    Switzerland
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.