in

R3 - Project

Last post 05-17-2017 3:35 AM by fabeyee. 39 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2014 10:36 AM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Re: R3 - Project

Any helpful soul, please?
  • 02-07-2014 12:49 PM In reply to

Stem:
    Hi, all! I'm finishing the bike. I just have two questions: 1) what do I do with the epoxy (Hardman) that comes with the frame? 2) the little rubber tube for cable that comes with the frame is much smaller than the hole near the seat tube where it should fit; so, how can I prevent the frame from water and dust? Any help? Thanks a lot.

The pic below shows some contents that come with Cervelo bikes... for your case, don't mind the seatpost wedge seen on the left, just focus on the aluminum insert and the provided epoxy.

That aluminum insert is bonded inside the carbon steerer of your fork using the provided epoxy.  Ideally, you will have your handlebar position/height figured out and if there is any cutting necessary for the fork steerer it can be done prior to bonding the insert.  The insert has a starnut inside, which as you tighten the top bolt on the stem cap it will compress and the headset assembly, thus eliminating any play.

There are multiple threads on the forum about the aluminum insert and/or the use of a compression plug instead.  For more visual reference, here is one with some nice pics, though in this case the person wanted their stem cap flush with the top of the fork.  Often, people leave a bit of the carbon steerer above the stem and use a 5mm-1cm spacer on top. http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/12929.aspx?PageIndex=1

As for the thin plastic tubing... yes the hole on the junction of the seat tube an chainstays is much larger than the tube itself, but that is normal.  You can try and source some sort of rubber grommet or similar that fits in the larger hole and supports the plastic tubing, just be careful you don't create unnecessary bends or simply end up squeezing the tubing thus creating friction for the cable.  To be honest, with just the tubing, dust/dirt may get in there, but it's not a big deal.  If water does get in, it is likely to drain out the bottom of your frame which should hae a decent size drain hole.  Press Fit bottom brackets come with an environmental sea, so as long as they are properly installed, the water just runs around and down towards the drain hole. 

In the past, I knew I had to ride my R3 on a rainy day, so I used pieces of black electrical tape to cover the exposed area around the plastic tubing and keep water out... it worked well then, but it is now off... mainly because I have a rain day bike.

Here is an example of something that "may" work...

• 02-09-2014 6:27 AM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Hutch, your contributions are always excellent in this forum. Many thanks once more!
  • 08-17-2014 9:47 AM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Everything has an end, so, here’s my bike: Sweet, sweet ride! More pictures soon.
  • 08-18-2014 4:01 AM In reply to

• paolo62
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-15-2014
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 200

Cracking effort Stem! Great job, that's a beauty right there!
    2014 Cervelo R5
    2009 Cervelo RS

2014 BTF participant.
  • 08-18-2014 9:54 AM In reply to

paolo62:
    Cracking effort Stem! Great job, that's a beauty right there!

I agree paolo62, looks pretty nice and I'm sure it feels and rides well... congrats!

• 09-18-2014 4:40 AM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Posts 261

I just bought a 2013 r3 and you can see a post I started about the front derailer seemingly missing a sleeve. A guy who bought a 2014 says he got one. I looked in the store where I bought it and all the other r3's did not have one. I am surprised carvel does not have one. The trek mad one has one. There's a pic of what I am talking about in the other post with some comments. Any thoughts on it? You can put them here or on the other post. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on why the sleeve is not seemingly stock on the 2013 r3
    2014 R3 (Hills bike)
    2012 Roubaix SL3 (Endurance bike)
  • 09-18-2014 6:47 AM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Hi. Read the answer Hutch gave me some posts behind. And here's a picture of my bike:
  • 05-16-2017 7:26 PM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Hi. I have a 3T Dorico Team seatpost, with 25mm setback. However, I’d like to try an inline seatpost, since It feels like I’m sitting a bit far back. Do you know why most road bikes come now with a layback seatpost? Is my R3 designed for a 0º degree seatpost? Thank you very much!
  • 05-17-2017 3:35 AM In reply to

depends on your bike fit. not all bikes are built with the same seat tube angle. Most accurate measurement is the horizontal distance between the saddle and the bottom bracket... Watch this: https://youtu.be/psbu9OH69sI
    2008 Cervelo R3
    2002 Cervelo Renaissance
Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.