in

Q-Ring settings?

Last post 02-27-2013 1:26 PM by Six to 2. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-27-2013 12:51 AM

Q-Ring settings?

I've got over 500 miles on the Q-Rings now and want to start playing with the Q-Ring settings. What are your Q-Ring settings, and why do you have them set that way? I've got my outer at #3 and inner at #2. I've have the inner at #2 because I read that if you are more of a spinner...then that may be the better position. Going to switch back to #3 in a bit to see if I notice a difference.

S2 SRAM Red
  • 02-27-2013 1:24 AM In reply to

Re: Q-Ring settings?

I have mine on setting 3. That's where the manual says to start. The manual also has a check list of sensations that you might feel that are indicative that you should move up or down one setting. After 15000 km I don't think I've ever felt any of those sensations so I've simply left them on 3. I am somewhat curious as to what the other settings feel like, but also don't want to mess with a good thing. I do spin as opposed to grind, normally at 90-100 rpm, so maybe I should give setting 2 a go. K
  • 02-27-2013 9:30 AM In reply to

• Jace
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-09-2013
    • Posts 10

mine are also at three. I tried four but it was too much power sensation and effort with a road bike.
  • 02-27-2013 12:03 PM In reply to

Six to 2:

I've got over 500 miles on the Q-Rings now and want to start playing with the Q-Ring settings. What are your Q-Ring settings, and why do you have them set that way? I've got my outer at #3 and inner at #2. I've have the inner at #2 because I read that if you are more of a spinner...then that may be the better position. Going to switch back to #3 in a bit to see if I notice a difference.

It seems whether you run the outer/inner OCP number the same or the inner one OCP less than the outer should depend on if you tackle big climbs. If you tackle big climbs then the inner/outer OCP number is usually kept the same because the rings inherently have 5 degrees of rotational difference for any given OCP setting- presumably to compensate for the hill gradient while using the small ring. Conversely, running a #3 outer and #2 inner would negate this built in difference and is generally used in flat areas.

I've put 1000+ plus miles on my set and currently have the outer OCP set at #4 as I tend to be a "masher". Due to snow/weather I haven't gotten in the hills to tackle any serious hill climbs to dial in the inner ring yet, but I will start at #4 and see how it goes.

2012 R3 SRAM Force 22, Kinlin XR31T rims on WI hubs, Rotor 3D+
  • 02-27-2013 1:26 PM In reply to

I remember why I have my inner ring set a #2: Excerpt from Rotor:

What�s the best OCP setting for my traithlon or time trial (TT) bike and my riding style?

Most studies show that cyclist achieve max power (NOT max torque) at about 18 degrees below 3 o�clock (regardless of where 3 o�clock is found) so, at the #3 setting, the 53t outer Q-Ring becomes a 56t, and at around 12 o�clock, it is essentially a 51t ring. The problem is that this is based on a 73� seat angle so it is not the ideal setting for most triathletes.

Each setting changes the orientation by 5 degrees, so, for the outer ring: #1=8� below 3, #2=13�, #3=18�, #4=23�, and #5=28� below 3 (still on a 73� seat angle bike).

So, if you ride a 78� seat angle bike, you have essentially moved your saddle forward by 5� and with it, you move 3 o�clock down by 5� as well. So going to the #4 setting on a 78� seat angle bike makes the Q-Ring hardest at 18� below 3 o�clock on your 78� bike.

Now, here�s the interesting part. Because we �assume� that you are climbing while on the inner ring, and hammering on the outer ring, the orientation is slightly different when comparing the outer ring to the inner. This is because when you are climbing, (1) your front wheel will be elevated by a few degrees, (2) you may tend to slide back on the saddle (as opposed to creeping forward while on the aero bars) and (3) you may recruit different muscles while pedaling (engage the hamstrings more); so in essence, the geometry may change.

So, for the inner ring, the change is still only 5�, but: #1=13� below 3, #2=18�, #3=23�, #4=28�, and #5=33� below 3 (back to the 73� seat angle bike).

S2 SRAM Red
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.