in

Sea Sucker Talon Review

Last post 05-08-2013 10:47 PM by Ptrkgmz. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-04-2013 3:06 PM

• Ptrkgmz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • Salt Lake City, UT
    • Posts 59

Sea Sucker Talon Review

After searching for a few weeks and reading every review I could find. I ultimately decided on the Sea Sucker Talon mount for those times when the Bike absolutely must go on the car instead of in it. (Meaning the wife insists on going on the road trip!) I actually have a better bike rack when solo, my 2013 Toyota Prius! The bike fits nicely inside with no issues. But, its hard to fit 2 kids, wife and all the luggage with the Cervelo, so the search began.

I really didn't want to buy a separate rack for my wife's X5 and another for the Prius.  Not to mention my main car an M6, the idea of putting any mounted rack on it really does/did not appeal to me at all. The SeaSucker Talon solved all the issues. Recently I was in Redlands to pick up my new R5 and had my RS with me, so what better opportunity to test it on the old RS! :)

The mount is super easy to attach, literally from start to end is less than 2 minutes. The Talon consists of 3 vacuum cups on the front mount bracket and a single vacuum cup for the rear tire. The front attaches via the drops and is very secure. The back, I was a little concerned as it simply uses Velcro to secure to the cup. But no issues at all.  Each Vacuum cup has a pump and each pump has a color indicator to let you know if its losing pressure. I won't go into the technical specs, but each cup is rated at an insanely high weight capacity. 

Made the trip from Redlands to Vegas to drop the RS off at a buddy's house who is buying it. The R5 made the entire trip in the back :)  Once home today, I started playing around with testing it on the M6 and X5.  The M6 had me initially concerned as it has a Carbon roof. I called SeaSucker and they actually had an engineer call me back and we discussed it and there are absolutely no issues mounting it on the M6

Once again 2 minutes worth of effort and the bike is mounted on the M6

SeaSucker also makes a product called "Flight Deck" which converts the rear wheel holder using another Vacuum cup to add a Front Wheel bracket to hold your front wheel. I think I'll simply just toss it inside for now.  They also make a locking mechanism to secure bike, something I doubt I'll use as this will only ever be used when going from Point A to B and never leaving the Bike unattended.

Next week a road trip to San Diego with the X5 and Family.  I'll update how it does over the 2 weeks! So far very impressed. I think its a "situational" carrier at best. If I had to do this daily I would have opted for a hard mounted Thule or something along that line with locks and security.  But for those rare occasions when you want to take the bike and there is no room inside, this seems to be a great solution!

Carbon meet Carbon! :)

2012 R5 VWD
    2012 SRAM Red
    Zipp Contour SL
    Zipp 404 Firecrest
    Specialized Toupe Pro
    Rotor 3D+
  • 05-05-2013 4:25 PM In reply to

• Johno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-02-2012
    • Posts 23

Re: Sea Sucker Talon Review

Thanks heaps for doing your Sea Sucker review.  I saw them for the first time last week and have wondered if they were more gimmick than actually useful - your 'situational carrier' description looks about perfect.

PS - can't decide if I like the M6 or the R5 more :)

2009 P2C (7800 DA, disc, trispoke)
  • 05-05-2013 7:01 PM In reply to

• Ptrkgmz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • Salt Lake City, UT
    • Posts 59

Go for the M6, it has a better motor!

2012 R5 VWD
    2012 SRAM Red
    Zipp Contour SL
    Zipp 404 Firecrest
    Specialized Toupe Pro
    Rotor 3D+
  • 05-05-2013 7:30 PM In reply to

• rmerka
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-19-2012
    • Texas Hill Country
    • Posts 1,421

Ptrkgmz:

Go for the M6, it has a better motor!

The more miles you put on the R5 the better the motor gets, opposite for the M6 ;). Nice ride(s) Ptrkgmz!
    2012 R5
    2012 S5
    2014 S3 My son's bike now!
    My Ti bike

Had a fantastic time at --> COR!!!
  • 05-05-2013 10:19 PM In reply to

• levi
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-27-2010
    • Posts 373

Good review. However, you didn't look at your paint. Unless you like having circles on the paint, then this is for you.
  • 05-06-2013 9:19 AM In reply to

Looks great! My only concern would be to ensure the racks are placed so that the bike is parallel to the centreline of the car.

If not, I could only imagine the kind of forces the bike may be subject to when driving down the freeway at 120 km/h.

• 05-06-2013 4:40 PM In reply to

• Ptrkgmz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • Salt Lake City, UT
    • Posts 59

levi:
    Good review. However, you didn't look at your paint. Unless you like having circles on the paint, then this is for you.

No issues there, as its not on the car for but a few hours at a time, plus I have a generous coat of wax on the car as well.

2012 R5 VWD
    2012 SRAM Red
    Zipp Contour SL
    Zipp 404 Firecrest
    Specialized Toupe Pro
    Rotor 3D+
  • 05-06-2013 4:40 PM In reply to

• Ptrkgmz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • Salt Lake City, UT
    • Posts 59

simonaway427:

Looks great! My only concern would be to ensure the racks are placed so that the bike is parallel to the centreline of the car.

If not, I could only imagine the kind of forces the bike may be subject to when driving down the freeway at 120 km/h.

True, but very, and I mean very rarely will it go on the M6...mainly inside the prius or on top of the x5 :)

2012 R5 VWD
    2012 SRAM Red
    Zipp Contour SL
    Zipp 404 Firecrest
    Specialized Toupe Pro
    Rotor 3D+
  • 05-07-2013 3:41 PM In reply to

I have a Seasucker as well, it's the Bomber - holds three bikes and it has not scratched any of my paint after 2 years worth of use. The company recommends that you moisten the the suction cups before drawing the vacuum. I would also recommend that the area of the car that you typicaclly mount the rack to be cleaned before you mount the rack. The suction cups are incredibly strong and durable. Make sure to store them in the plastic covers provided when you are not using the rack as this allows them to retain their shape and give the best possible adhesion.

My girlfriend in front of the car with the bikes mounted.

Bomber Model Seasucker

2010 P1
    2011 R3
    2012 S5 Team SRAM Red / Black ZIpp 404 FC
  • 05-07-2013 11:12 PM In reply to

• levi
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-27-2010
    • Posts 373

I would assume they are easy to take off and steal. Any locks to secure the bike or the Sea Sucker?
    RB Ellis:

I have a Seasucker as well, it's the Bomber - holds three bikes and it has not scratched any of my paint after 2 years worth of use. The company recommends that you moisten the the suction cups before drawing the vacuum. I would also recommend that the area of the car that you typicaclly mount the rack to be cleaned before you mount the rack. The suction cups are incredibly strong and durable. Make sure to store them in the plastic covers provided when you are not using the rack as this allows them to retain their shape and give the best possible adhesion.

My girlfriend in front of the car with the bikes mounted.

Bomber Model Seasucker

• 05-08-2013 10:47 PM In reply to

• Ptrkgmz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-11-2012
    • Salt Lake City, UT
    • Posts 59

They have an attachment you can purchase that secures via the window and a cable. Not attractive to me. As I said in my initial post, if you need something secure I would definitely go with a Thule or some sort of lockable hard mounted rack.  These are great for portability and a quick transport solution. Not a daily type rack at all in my opinion.

2012 R5 VWD
    2012 SRAM Red
    Zipp Contour SL
    Zipp 404 Firecrest
    Specialized Toupe Pro
    Rotor 3D+
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.