in

P5 Six Red - loose aerobars

Last post 08-15-2013 7:33 AM by scubachris. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-08-2013 11:58 AM

P5 Six Red - loose aerobars

Just got  a P5 Six Red. At the initial pick up from my LBS i noticed the aero bars (on the aduro) would wiggle vertically. On the first ride was pushing it and went to switch to the breaks and the left bar twisted. Nearly wiped out but saved it. Took the bike back to the LBS. They said the tech hadn't tightened them properly. Took it away and brought it back with the comment "to tighten them properly the nuts (around the aero bars) got a little damaged, but that's normal"

That seemed pretty un-normal to but but they are a Cervelo dealer so I'll go with it. Put the bike on the trainer (Kickr) for a ride and on the second ride noticed the same vertical looseness, then the ability to fairly easily twist the bars. Before I go back to the LBS (or perhaps another Cervelo dealer) has anyone else had this problem? I'm a bit frustrated that the nuts are scratched up and the aero bars are still loose.

- see the photo, the marks on the nut by the "L" in Ultimate aren't from the photo are and all around.

Thanks!

P5 Six Red
    Quarq SRAM Red 53/39
    Zipp 808's
    Speedplay
  • 08-08-2013 6:32 PM In reply to

Re: P5 Six Red - loose aerobars

Sorry, I don't have a P5 (would like one tho!) so I can't help but I did see your post on ST and Damon Rinard posted a response to your question if you haven't check yet. My only comment would be to take it to another Cervelo Dealer who may have more experienced mechanics. Hope you get it resolved and fast!
    2010 RS SRAM RED
    2009 Trek Madone 5.2 H2 Ultegra
    2008 Giant Trance X0 XTR
  • 08-14-2013 11:24 PM In reply to

Re: P5 Six Red - loose aerobars

That's BS on your LBS part!  I have a P5-Six and had the same issue.  My LBS tighten and said it was fine.  Rode on the trainer (Tacx) later that day and they were loose and twisted.  I took a wrench and thin shop towel and tighten them myself.  I was worried I was going to crush the extensions, but didn't.  It's a shame that you do the right thing, but locally only to have them scratch your bike up.  I'd demand replacements.  That is not "normal", it IS lack of wanting to do a quality job and trying to cover up a mistake by saying there is no way to tighten them without scratching them. Make them replace the pieces.

Christian
  • 08-15-2013 7:33 AM In reply to

Re: P5 Six Red - loose aerobars (UPDATE)

Also posted the same message on slowtwitch,http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=4704360  Damon from Cervelo was nice enough to weight in with some suggestions. Looped my LBS in on the conversation and brought the bike back in. They had another mechanic work on it, who seemed to have lots of Cervelo experience, at least from speaking with him he seemed to know what to do.

Picking it up today, but they have replaced the cowels/bolts (unscratched I'm told). also re-ran some of the cables, made some (what they said) improvement to the bottom bracket. And did a thorough re-check/exam. Also got a new hub on the Zipp 808's to support 11 speed cassettes.

All sounding good, and post pick up I'll repost an update. Thanks all for your thoughts on comments!

P5 Six Red
    Quarq SRAM Red 53/39
    Zipp 808's
    Speedplay
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.