in

S5 vwd 2012 seatpost and seat tube bad design

Last post 06-02-2015 8:31 PM by goodboyr. 45 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2014 3:40 PM In reply to

Re: S5 vwd 2012 seatpost and seat tube bad design

I hadthe same problem with my 2013 S5. Bike is almost new as I have ride it only 70km.

Mine seat post was not actually slipped many mm as it was cut just  a few mm. The seatpost was 1mm above lower point to the frame but somehow it slipped and cracked the frame. We have applied carbon paste and the assembly/cut of the seatpost was taken from a Cervelo distributor in Greece.  Waiting news from Cervelo about warranty. Bike bought from Germany distributor.

• 03-18-2014 10:39 AM In reply to

I recently bought a 2013 base s5. After seeing this thread, i took a look at my seat tube and found a similar crack. Got in touch with LBS and we are contacting Cervelo for a warranty claim....
  • 03-18-2014 12:45 PM In reply to

I too had a slipping seat post but it was my own fault...

The first instance was when after taking it in and worrying about it not being torqued enough by the shop, I tightened the bolt and then heard a "pop" noise.  And thus I cracked my second seatpost in 9 years and it was confirmed on 2 rides after that that I had indeed done so because the seatpost slid down.

The second instance was out of fear of over torquing and cracking it again, in conjunction with not having any carbon paste, it slid down a few mm.  Now I know this because I have red tape adorning the seatpost so that I know exactly how high it should be based on my fit.  And to confirm this my hips began to ache about 40 miles into the ride because the seatpost had slid down a bit.  I applied some carbon paste and gently tightened it to spec and viola, the next ride on gnarly New England frost heaved/ pot holed roads for this 189lb guy saw absolutely no slippage.

It just comes down to doing everything that is recommended.

Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 03-20-2014 1:04 PM In reply to

Frame will be replaced under warranty. Gonna make sure carbon paste and proper torque is applied. Ill also put a piece of electrical tape to show signs of slippage.
  • 03-29-2014 4:29 PM In reply to

• JDATX
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-14-2014
    • Posts 44

This happened to my 2014 S5 today. I do not recall the fitting person cutting or chamfering the post. In fact he switched it out from another S5 on the spot. I also do not recall him using a torque wrench. Of course when he was switching posts and such I didn't know anything about this issue so I just sat there all happy drooling about my bike. For all I know both seat posts were properly "chamfered" when the were originally cut by the LBS. He did say they cut seat posts "all the time." What I do know is that I did not move the seat in the eight days I've owned the bike. The guys in the shop today said they've seen this happen, but not in a long time. I am concerned that if it was their fault there could be an issue with a warranty claim from Cervelo.
    2014 S5 Ultegra
    Austin, TX
  • 03-29-2014 4:51 PM In reply to

Whatever the reason, I would not be worried. I'm confident Cervelo will take care of you.
  • 03-30-2014 12:06 AM In reply to

Does anyone have any idea if a disc sander with fine grit sander paper (I'd wear a dust mask) would work to shave off the small 45 degree edge off the bottom of the seat post? As per page 12 of the S5 Supplementary Manual. Thanks.
    2013 R3 Sram Red/Rotor 3D+
    2012 S5 Sram Red/Rotor 3D+

DA C24 9000 Wheelset
  • 03-30-2014 1:35 AM In reply to

toodaloo:

Whatever the reason, I would not be worried. I'm confident Cervelo will take care of you.

I understand where you are coming from, but that doesn't mean that the shop is off the hook here.  If you as a shop owner don't get your employees up to speed and have them read all the manuals, in this case the S5 Supplementary Manual (Pages 11-12) then you are doing a disservice to your employees, your customers, and Cervelo.

The S5 seatpost and seat tube do not have a bad design.  Are some seatposts slipping, yes... are some seatposts not slipping, yes.  Bottom line is, there are clear instructions that are required for this seatpost and its installation in this particular seat tube.  Following those will minimize the risk of the seatpost slipping and actually cracking through your frame.

Moral of the story, cut your seatpost the most possible while still maintaining 6.5cm of minimum insertion, and yes, cut a nice angle to the trailing edge... if you want to get fancy, cut more angle or cut similar to the shape of the seat tube... go for it, you'll save your frame and even a bit of weight.

• 03-31-2014 4:46 PM In reply to

• JDATX
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-14-2014
    • Posts 44

I talked to the guy about this when he called to tell me Cervelo was honoring the warranty claim. I asked him about the cut and he said they do it since they have to pretty much cut all the posts per rider fit. I suppose without having them take it out to prove they cut it I'd have to take their word for it.
    2014 S5 Ultegra
    Austin, TX
  • 03-31-2014 7:10 PM In reply to

Good on Cervelo once again. 

You could make an educated guess based on how much your seatpost slipped.  Meaning, if it slipped 1cm, then you know how close it was to the section of the seat tube where it broke through.  So, unless it slipped quite a bit (5-6+cm), I would have my suspicions.  Not trying to take sides, just highlighting what may be something they said they did, but in fact, did not...

• 03-31-2014 8:59 PM In reply to

• JDATX
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-14-2014
    • Posts 44

Thanks Hutch. When I was being fitted they took at rather long post out of the bike I was buying and switched with another. That post was much shorter. I'd say it slipped quite a bit. It broke through all the way down by the "5" on the seat tube.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121403248@N08/with/13550175083/

If you recall the first image of the bike you can also see where the word "Cervelo" is on the seat post, which is a about half way between the seat and the frame. When I took the bike in the label was about an inch above the frame, yet I didn't notice the slip based on my position on the bike.

When I get the new bike they'll have to fit me again, so I'll be able to double check things like torque and post cuts.

2014 S5 Ultegra
    Austin, TX
  • 03-31-2014 9:25 PM In reply to

I'd also recommend putting a small piece of electrical tape to show signs of slippage. This would not prevent catastrophic failure. But at least warn you about a loose seat post.
  • 09-14-2014 6:26 AM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-11-2013
    • Posts 18

After many months after i received my new replaced frame, i find it appropriate to come back here and say everything was solved on warranty. Thanks Cervelo.
  • 09-14-2014 12:10 PM In reply to

• DavidJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2013
    • Toronto
    • Posts 24

Great news.

Did you receive the new 2015 S5, or the old S5?

When Technology Becomes Emotion
  • 09-15-2014 11:16 AM In reply to

• Gigi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-11-2013
    • Posts 18

Initially they offered the new one but they told me i could get the old also. And since i like the old color scheme more i said OLD. I've assembled the bike with Sram Red but i dont manage to like the lever trick from Sram end decided to put my first ever Campagnolo Super Record groupset except the Rotor crankset.
Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.