in

Bont Vaypor Plus Wide for wide feet

Last post 07-18-2014 9:10 PM by Don. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2014 5:30 AM

Bont Vaypor Plus Wide for wide feet

Hi one and all. Forgive me for jumping straight in with this post having just signed up, I've been a reader for a while and am a very proud owner of a Cervelo S2 built up myself earlier this year. As the proud owner of the aforementioned steed but also wide feet,I've found it nigh on impossible to find a decent informative review of the Bont Vaypor Plus shoes in a wide fit. You see lots of comments such as they did or didn't work for me rather than a specific informative report - literally measured in nature. So...here goes... For ages I struggled with foot pain with standard outdoor general footwear until I started wearing wide fit shoes. I also bought some Vivo Barefoot shoes that have a very wide toe box that have been superb curing the 5th metatarsal pains. I have normal non-flat feet ie good arches although wide and about a size 10. So, when it came to cycling shoes, I was looking for some shoes that would provide a wide birth. I tried Specialized Road Pro which were good but just a tiny bit narrower than required despite the wide toe box. I haven't tried Shimano wide fit. And I had, until recently, settled on SIDI (I know - Italian = narrow!! ) a Genius Mega carbon 6.6 in EU46. Now here are the points to hopefully help others - no one apart from Bont appears to give exact figures on the width of their shoes to allow you to gauge sizing and suitability. The companies all say they are wide fitting but that's about it - no hard and fast numbers. You can measure your feet all you like but with no figures relating to the shoes, the information becomes interesting - but irrelevant. Incidentally there appears to be main 2 ways to measure your feet recommended out there online. One is to trace round your feet on paper and measure the maximum length and width: This gave me a width of 115mm and length about 280 The other way is that shown on the Bont website: This made me the same sort of width but 275mm - a whole 5mm shorter. So the upshot was I initially sized up from a 44 which would have been the absolute recommendation using Bont's technique and addition of wriggle room, to a 44.5 but this was still too snug so have ended up with a 45 in the wide fitting. This is spot on and interestingly I've obviously been wearing a size higher in the SIDI despite being a Mega fit , just to stop my toes getting squeezed at the tip due to the conventional toe box that tapers to its longest in the middle rather than being longest at the big toe. See below the comparative pics of the Bont and SIDI: You can see also the difference in width: For the record, the SIDI at the widest point of the carbon sole is about 93mm and you can see the upper curves out and round from it. The effect of this is the squeeze around the foot when the ratchet is tightened if your foot happens to be wider that the footbed. The Bont is 115mm at its widest and the carbon sole is constructed like a bath-tub so extends up and round the side of the foot. So when the Bont is tightened it just closes across the top of the foot. In short, the Bont's have been a great solution for me and I'd recommend the following: Drawing round your feet to measure them is a better guide to correct fit as it will probable measure size including some wriggle room. For very wide feet about the 115mm mark - the Bont wide fit is a solution. Other characteristics of the Vaypor plus is the ability to heat mould them repeatedly which improves the comfort even further. For this model remove the insoles, leave laces and ratchet etc all on as they don't come off anyway and they won't melt. Stick them in the oven at 70 decrees centigrade for 20 mins. They come out warm not hot so stick the insoles back in and put on the socks you wear to cycle. Don the aforementioned shoes and tighten. Stand still with knees slightly bent for 5-10 mins do not lift heel or walk. Job done! Repeat as necessary. The last comment is the ratchet system that's a bit like BOA but not the same works perfectly and also that these are stupidly stiff. Like seriously! Much stiffer than the SIDI or Specialized. So if you like a flexi sole these might not be for you. If you want an ultra comfortable light and rigid slipper like shoe for wide feet, this model may be a great companion. Bont Vaypor Plus EU 45 wide - my new friend. Also come in normal and narrow. And I must add, I do not work for Bont.
  • 06-24-2014 12:23 PM In reply to

Re: Bont Vaypor Plus Wide for wide feet

I use Bont vaypor's as well and love them!

2013 R3 Sram Red/Rotor 3D+
    2012 S5 Sram Red/Rotor 3D+

DA C24 9000 Wheelset
  • 06-24-2014 1:38 PM In reply to

Glad it's not just me. I think when you get the fit right with them they are fantastic.
  • 06-24-2014 8:15 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2008
    • Atlantic Canada
    • Posts 748

Lake Cycling also specifies the length and width of their shoes for both regular and wide, lakecycling.com Lake have a foot measuring chart like the one that you recommend. I have a wide pair of Lake CX331 on order but have yet to receive them. I read somewhere that the Sidi Mega is only about 5mm wider than the regular Sidi. Bont and Lake are much wider than the Sidi Mega. Some companies like Giro, Mavic and Louis Garneau specify the metric measurement of the length of their shoes but they do not identify the width. Even Sidi does not identify the width, just the length. Having complete data is helpful in determine size and fit.
  • 06-25-2014 2:50 AM In reply to

Thanks Don. Useful info on Lake shoes. For wide feet most people seem to recomment Lake, NW, wide fit shimano and Bont. As you say I think some companies do more to service what I assume is a smaller proportion of the cycling community - those with wide feet. As you say it's really helpful to have specific measurements then you have a much better chance of getting the shoe that fits.
  • 06-25-2014 3:57 PM In reply to

I went for the Vaypor Plus wide about two weeks ago and it's been a revelation. I've worn shoes from Sidi, Shimano and Specialized and in hindsight none fitted me properly. I had to heat mould them a few times to cure some hot spots but they are perfect now. The ones I have came with boa fasteners so looks like they have changed to these now. Stiffness is incredible, very noticeable out of the saddle and they seem really well put together. Your review is spot on……….even if it was about two weeks too late for me!
  • 06-25-2014 4:05 PM In reply to

Hi Finman. Thanks for your post. This has been exactly the same for me. Went out tonight and as you say they are a godsend fit wise. I think I need to heat mould mine a bit more to get them spot on but as you say about the rigidity of these shoes, I've never worn anything like them. There is zero flex - nada - and for me I really like it. You can cruise along but when you decide to accelerate and mash the pedals, every ounce of effort goes into the drivetrain. I can't imagine, unless Bont do something radical, I'll wear anything else from now on.
  • 07-15-2014 1:38 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2008
    • Atlantic Canada
    • Posts 748

I considered this thread to be about wider feet/cycling shoes and not just about the Bont Vaypor. So, I have posted some photos that compare a size 40 Wide Lake CX237-X and a Sidi Genius 6. The smaller Euro sized 40 wide Lake has a maximum length of 253 mm and the larger Euro sized 40.5 Sidi has a slightly shorter maximum length of 252.5 mm. Without going into a lot of detail, what i am suggesting is the Euro and US sizes don't compare across brands and even by themselves can be misleading. The size 40 wide Lake is said to be a US size 6 but others would see it as a size 7 US. The only way to buy a shoe in my opinion is by its metric measurements.

The wide Lake shoe has more room in the forefoot and also in the heel.

• 07-15-2014 4:21 PM In reply to

Thanks Don. I agree about the sizing bit. I don't get it personally. Everything else bike-wise is scientific and sold as super precise but we are messing around with antiquated imperial sizing systems rather than simply saying how long and wide the shoe is in millimetres. What's so difficult about doing that? These fora are literally littered with people saying how much difficulty they've had getting their shoe size correct and EBay if full of shoes that were bought hoping they'd fit but didn't on reflection and with time. No shop I've ever seen or found has every shoe available to try so the least they could do is give us a fair chance of guessing. With the shoes you've posted the pics of Don, what I'd be interested in and also from other people out there is how wide in mm is the carbon footbed at its widest point where the MTP joint would be? In your pics it's more difficult to assess as they are EU40 so comparatively shorter but presumable with less reduction in width relatively speaking so they look very wide.
  • 07-15-2014 10:12 PM In reply to

• Joel.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-11-2014
    • Australia
    • Posts 153

I'd say Bontrager shoes are wide aswell? Never had a problem before with Shimano and Specialized shoes but these are wide and have caused tendonitis on the top of my foot. I got them free with the bike so I'm not complaining.
    2013 R3
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/joels
  • 07-16-2014 2:19 AM In reply to

Thanks Joel. There's a total bike shop in London uk - when I say total I mean they sell shoes etc but also do formal bike fitting etc as well. They do shoe fitting where they take 10 measurements of your feet and recommend a shoe. Funnily enough their 2 favourite shoes are Lake and Bontraeger as they are both able to offer the wide fit.
  • 07-16-2014 9:35 PM In reply to

• Joel.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-11-2014
    • Australia
    • Posts 153

Unfortunately I have narrow feet :(
    2013 R3
  • 07-17-2014 12:37 AM In reply to

No problem. Thanks for the info though. Still really useful.
  • 07-18-2014 3:16 PM In reply to

Joel.:
    Unfortunately I have narrow feet :(
    @Joel. Bont has both narrow and wide versions in addition to their standard sized shoes. I have narrow feet as well and am currently using S-Works. They're good shoes but I have to crank them down too much and there is still too much room around the toe box. I'll probably be getting some Bont's in the near future.
    It never gets easier, you just get faster. -Greg Lemond
  • 07-18-2014 8:36 PM In reply to

• Joel.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-11-2014
    • Australia
    • Posts 153

What about Giro shoes? How wide are they?
    2013 R3
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.