in

HED Ardennes Plus -- any clearance issues with a new [2014] S3

Last post 09-08-2014 2:41 PM by Ctopher. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-07-2014 4:47 PM

HED Ardennes Plus -- any clearance issues with a new [2014] S3

I have a 2014 S3 and am interested in picking up a set of the HED Ardennes Plus wheels. The width of the Ardennes Plus is 25mm. Are there any known clearance issues with this wide of a rim and the new S3? Is anyone riding these wheels with their S3? Any experiences? Please advise. Thanks. Regards, Robert
  • 09-07-2014 7:01 PM In reply to

• rmerka
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-19-2012
    • Texas Hill Country
    • Posts 1,421

Re: HED Ardennes Plus -- any clearance issues with a new [2014] S3

Robert, my guess is you'll be fine.  I have some Al rims on my S3 that are 24mm wide and there's plenty of room.  Much more than 0.5mm on each side which would be the 25.  On the front I've put an Enve 3.4 rim which is 26mm wide and it's fine too.

2012 R5
    2012 S5
    2014 S3 My son's bike now!
    My Ti bike

Had a fantastic time at --> COR!!!
  • 09-08-2014 2:42 AM In reply to

i have the hed ardennes FR plus on a R5 and have no issues.

• 09-08-2014 9:24 AM In reply to

• dcslim
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-18-2013
    • Louisville, Ky.
    • Posts 61

Slightly different subject -- who is finding the Ardennes+ wheels to their liking?  I just had a set of wheels built with them, and I am wishing that I'd gone to a lower spoke count in the rear for the sake of comfort.  The wider rim seems to stiffen the wheel up considerably. 

Is this consistent with your experiences?

• 09-08-2014 9:45 AM In reply to

I have had my Ardennes for just over a year. Broke two spokes. Heard they had a bad batch of spokes.

The cassette gets jammed into the aluminum hub, hard to get off unless tapped with a piece of wood. 

• 09-08-2014 9:53 AM In reply to

i can only comment on the ardennes FR +.  I use them on my R5 for training, racing and on gravel roads (no tarmac) where most people use mountain bikes.  They are tough as anything.  Never an issue.  Fantastic wheels.
  • 09-08-2014 1:57 PM In reply to

I don't have a 2014 S3, but I have a 2011 R5 with HED Belgian Plus 25mm wide rims. The difference between the Belgian and Ardennes, is the Belgian are sold to resellers as a rim, while the Ardennes are a wheel already built. Not sure about the Ardennes Plus, but my Belgian Plus are tubeless ready. On my older R5, I cannot use a 25mm Michelin Pro Race 4 tire on it as I get too much tire rub on my seat stays if my wheel is even the slightest out of true. Even getting the wheel onto the bike not to cause rubbing is difficult as the rear drop outs maybe slightly out. So I use a 23mm PR4 tire and it is fine. Getting a tube into a 25mm wide rim using a 23 mm tire is difficult until I found a trick. As most people I would pre inflate my tube when I insert the tube into the tire/rim, This would cause me to puncture the tube while getting the remaining side of the tire on the rim using tire levers. As the rim is made for tubeless tires, it is a bit bigger than other rims so it is though to get the tires on without levers. I've tried baby powder to no avail. I wasted so many tubes! Even my mechanic had a hard time and kept wasting tubes. The trick is not to inflate the tube when inserting it into the the tire with one side on the rim. Until you have try to put a 23mm tire onto a 25mm rim, you don't know how tough that is not to puncture the tube without this trick which I found out myself out of desperation. I even called HED and they acknowledge the problem and suggested only baby powder. I talked to people from Cervelo at events here in Toronto this year and I told them about the inablitly to use 25mm tires on my R5 and he said the newer version of Cervelo have more clearance for 25mm tires. So I suspect your 2014 S3 will be fine to use 25mm rim and a 25mm tire. If the tire rub, put on a 23mm tire and you will be fine. Friend tells me Continentals are usually narrower than other brand tires of the same size.
  • 09-08-2014 2:41 PM In reply to

I agree with trying to put 23 on the 25 Ardennes, a pain to install.

The pre-2014 R5 was not designed for 25mm wide wheels, the 2014 is. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.