in

Toronto riders

Last post 10-13-2015 1:41 PM by stuartlangfield. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2015 3:56 PM

Toronto riders

Hey guys

I'm relocating from Vancouver to Toronto in a couple of weeks with work and would love some insight from any locals on here in terms of riding.

I realise we're into fall now and winter is a no-go in the city, but I'd like to get some tips on good mid-week rides in and around Toronto, longer weekend rides (happy to drive out the city if need be, anything with climbs is a big bonus), recommendations on any local club/shop rides, and obviously the best Cervelo store in town to take care of my baby!

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated, happy to provide more context if need be.
  • 10-02-2015 4:59 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 234

Re: Toronto riders

Hey stuartlangfield,

Surprisingly, we actually have some pretty good riding in Toronto. Start with these:

donutride-toronto.ca
    mgridetoronto.com

Good riding in this city also depends on what area you live in; west vs east.
    David Byer
    S5 R5 T1
  • 10-02-2015 5:03 PM In reply to

Well I'm sure many people will chime in with better options but here is what I know. Their is the donut ride out of the Leaside area every Saturday ( I believe) which is a Toronto tradition but a ride for the hearty with no speed restrictions. Almost all the Bike shops have such Racer Sportif, Chain Reaction, Gear's and many others have organized rides. The Toronto Biking Network TBN has rides starting from various locations around and outside Toronto every weekend and they have some week day rides. Attract riders looking for a variety of rides some quite long but not your racing group ride. Great way to get mileage though and learn the area. West of Toronto is the Oakville Cycling Club with 400 so members and they have small hills around the Milton and the escarpment. If you drive north you can join us in Collingwood where we have the largest climbs in Southern Ontario (max 5.7km climb). I'm active with the Collingwood Cycle Club here and also was the location for the last Cervelo Owners Ride in Canada this past June. Toronto on mild years can be cycled to some extent year round (two years ago). There is also many indoor winter training groups which can be sourced from high end Power Watts, to programs at Gears and many other opinions. Hope that helps.
    COR Co-organizer 2015
    2010 Cannondale Rush MTB
    Kona Jake The Snake Cross bike
    2011 Cervelo R3 Red - sold
    2013 Cervelo S5 Red
    2014 Cervelo S3 Red 22
  • 10-02-2015 6:56 PM In reply to

Thanks guys.

Donut ride sounds intense, might make for some good training though.

I saw a couple of riders with the MG kit at the Tour De Victoria this year, will definitely check out their rides.

Hoping for a mild winter, the last time I lived in Toronto (2008) there was crazy amounts of snow fall. If not it might be time to invest in a trainer. I'm also looking into some indoor cycling classes, found them of huge benefit even over Vancouver's easy winter.

rider2 Collingwood sounds great, I've been to the area a couple of times so would love check it out on a bike, especially if there's some good climbing to be found.
  • 10-02-2015 7:56 PM In reply to

Yes how could I forget the Morning Glory Cycle Club MGCC which is a large quality club in Toronto and also ride's in area's such as Collingwood. Its claim to fame is its early morning ride's I think 5:45. Never could get up that early so I tip my hat to those that do!
    COR Co-organizer 2015
    2010 Cannondale Rush MTB
    Kona Jake The Snake Cross bike
    2011 Cervelo R3 Red - sold
    2013 Cervelo S5 Red
    2014 Cervelo S3 Red 22
  • 10-03-2015 7:46 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 338

Collingwood is a GREAT place to ride! I went out with rider2's club after the COR ride in June. Awesome guy's!
    2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2015 R2 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 10-04-2015 2:33 PM In reply to

I second Oakville Cycling Club if you're from the west end and have something with four wheels and a motor to get you to the ride start.  I rode with them for 2 years while living in west Toronto.  Very well organized, very friendly, with regular rides that have something for everyone from flat-bar hybrid riders right up to 32+kph pacelines in nice increments if you have friends/family at different skill levels or so you can build through the season.  Better scenery and fewer stoplights/stop signs than riding in the city too. I moved to the SF bay area recently and although the riding is excellent down here I miss the OCC very much. 

Be sure to sign up early in the spring as there is a lot of demand.  

http://oakvillecc.com/

2012 S5 Rival
  • 10-05-2015 4:55 PM In reply to

Oakville sounds great, will definitely check out. Thinking of trying out the GFNY next year so some solid spring rides would be great to get in shape.
  • 10-06-2015 8:03 AM In reply to

Oakville is fantastic when you land let me know. I frequent the Morning Glory Rides and also am really good buddies with the owners of the Flying Monkey Bike shop... THE IT PLACE TO BE! Also to get there you have to climb over the escarpment... Now there is not "mountains" but depending on you go it can be rather nasty getting over it Rattle Snake point is a novelty climb 70 to 800 ft hitting 15-18 percent at time with a switchback... We all do it a couple of times a year when you feel you can beat last years time.. and we have great cross here too!  

2011 S3
    2011 R3 (Warrantied)
    2014 R3
    Garmin 800(RIP)
    Garmin 1000
    2014 Beyond the Forum Rider
  • 10-13-2015 1:41 PM In reply to

Thanks for the other tips, excited to try out some of these punchy little climbs.

Initially moving over on November 1st to start work and apartment search etc before my wife joins after the holidays. Hoping the weather holds throughout November so I can get some riding in.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.