in

2015 R3 Build

Last post 11-23-2015 12:25 PM by David. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2015 3:34 PM

2015 R3 Build

Having moved all of my bikes over to electronic shifting and disc brakes, I fancied something 'old school' - lightweight, mechanical, simple. I chose the R3 because it has perfect geometry for me, it is tried and tested, and I like the gloss black of the 2015 model.The R3 is plenty light and rides the same as the R5 but is a little more robust/less delicate. The bbinifinite is a great solution (possibly to a problem that shouldn't exist, but let's not discuss that here!). For some reason you don't see many Campagnolo equipped Cervelos, but this one went together a treat. The new shifting performance is a big leap forward from the last iteration. Front shifting in particular is a revelation, and the 3-click shifter is well thought through. I wasn't sure when I was setting everything up, but on the road it really works well. Loving the Obermayers. It was quite windy today and I didn't suffer at all. Braking is good, but I have got used to discs now, which I can conclude are superior in terms of stopping power and modulation. I have owned a few pairs of Lightweights, and these are keepers! Finally the truing, dishing and parallel brake surface are spot on. Absolutely no lateral wobble at all. My previous pairs have been sadly lacking in this respect and it used to be something that you had to accept with Lightweights, but these are perfect. Not sure if I got lucky, if they invest more time in the Obermayers, or if they have finally mastered building them, but whatever the reason, I am very pleased with my purchase. The ride is lovely. Comfortable, stiff and light. The spacers above the top cap will go once I have the position dialled in. The weight of 6.3kgs includes pedals, Garmin mount, Garmin cadence sensor and bottle cages. Really pleased with that given the sensible but quality build. Steel spindles on the pedals, K'ium rails on the saddle rather than carbon etc. Frame - Cervelo R3 (58cm) Fork - Cervelo R3 Headset - FSA IS2 Chainset - Campagnolo Super Record Ti (175mm, 50 / 34t) Bottom Bracket - BBInfinite BBRight Ultra Torque Pedals - Look Keo Carbon CroMo Front Derailleur - Campagnolo Super Record Rear Derailleur - Campagnolo Super Record Shifters - Campagnolo Super Record Brakes - Campagnolo Super Record Differential Chain - KMC X-11 SL Cassette - Campagnolo Super Record (12 / 25) Hubs - Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer Rims - Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer Spokes - Lightweight Meilenstein Obermayer Quick Release - Lightweight Carbon Tyres - Continental Competition (25mm) Stem - Tune Geiles Teil 4.0 OS (120mm) Bars - Fizik Cyrano R1 Bull (420mm) Seatpost - Tune Starkes Saddle - Fizik Arione CX Bottle Cages - Campagnolo Record Grip - Fizik 2mm
  • 11-21-2015 3:41 PM In reply to

Re: 2015 R3 Build

• 11-21-2015 5:43 PM In reply to

Wow!  6.3kg for a 58cm is pretty light... looks very nice... enjoy!

• 11-23-2015 1:09 AM In reply to

6.3kg for a size 58 thats super impressive. i have the same frame @ size 56. and its weighed in at 7.6kg.. the differences are: 1. rotor cranks instead of campy 2. ultegra 6800 grupo instead of campy 3. using the stock FSA seatpost 4. using vision metron wheels instead of LWs are those 4 items above enough to have a difference of more than a kilo? im starting to think theres really something making my bike heavier than it should.
    Francis
  • 11-23-2015 8:13 AM In reply to

• rmerka
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-19-2012
    • Texas Hill Country
    • Posts 1,421

Having a wheelset that comes in under a kilo helps A LOT too!! Lovely bike solarider!
    2012 R5
    2012 S5
    2014 S3 My son's bike now!
    My Ti bike

Had a fantastic time at --> COR!!!
  • 11-23-2015 12:25 PM In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 234

Nice! That really came together.
    David Byer
    S5 R5 T1
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.