in

How bout that C5?

Last post 12-29-2015 11:25 AM by David. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-20-2015 2:25 PM In reply to

Re: How bout that C5?

Just like the R5, the C5 is priced out of my league. However just like the R3 the C3 might be interesting. In fact that may be better than the R3 disc as it doesn't seem to need a specialty crankset.
    2009 Kona Jake (Commuter)
    2014 R3 6800 Ultegra
  • 12-23-2015 11:57 AM In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 234

Hey Guys,

Hutch is correct in pointing out the tire clearance. Officially, the C5 was designed to accept a 28 with fender/mud guard (built-in eyelets to mount these) or a 30 without. As with your S2, we try to leave significant room for debris to avoid any kind of scraping. Also, not all 30s measure the same. In fact, in our testing, we found a 28 that measured almost the same as a 32 from a different tire manufacturer. Hutch's conclusion that a 'bulbous' 30mm road tire (on a wide rim) will fit just fine with plenty of space for potential mud buildup and debris clearance.

Our team landed on this tire clearance value because it truly suits the intention of the bike: an endurance road bike that gives you the confidence to keep pushing when the road gets nasty. Being a true Cervélo, that means it has no compromise on weight, ride quality, and the feeling of speed. After all, just because you want a better ride on that washboard/dirt/gravel road, doesn't mean you want to get dropped on the smooth parts of your ride.

The geometry is also designed to suit the endurance road bike. Slightly lower bb and longer wheel base for stability, combined with a little more stack than you'll find on the R5, all for those super long and adventurous days in the saddle. And don't worry GoLeafs, the C series will NOT replace any of our current lines. We'll continue with Aero Road in the S series, Classic Road in the R series, and Endurance Road with the C series.

I should also point out that the geometry was originally posted incorrectly. I believe some of the head tube values were entered incorrectly. The chart is updated HERE

Finally, I can appreciate Layback's comparison to the Volagi. However, I can assure you that we have no connection with the company. We may not have been the first to make an endurance road bike but, I feel confident putting the C5 up against any of the competition in terms of spec, performance, and ride quality. I understand that not everyone will prefer an endurance bike - and I include myself in that group - but, offering this option also allows our team to focus on the true performance qualities that we are after with the R and S series bikes. And to me, that is very exciting.
    David Byer
    S5 R5 T1
  • 12-23-2015 2:57 PM In reply to

Thanks for weighing in bud!

2011 S3
    2011 R3 (Warrantied)
    2014 R3
    Garmin 800(RIP)
    Garmin 1000
    2014 Beyond the Forum Rider
  • 12-24-2015 11:44 AM In reply to

David:
    Hey Guys,

Hutch is correct in pointing out the tire clearance. Officially, the C5 was designed to accept a 28 with fender/mud guard (built-in eyelets to mount these) or a 30 without. As with your S2, we try to leave significant room for debris to avoid any kind of scraping. Also, not all 30s measure the same. In fact, in our testing, we found a 28 that measured almost the same as a 32 from a different tire manufacturer. Hutch's conclusion that a 'bulbous' 30mm road tire (on a wide rim) will fit just fine with plenty of space for potential mud buildup and debris clearance.

Our team landed on this tire clearance value because it truly suits the intention of the bike: an endurance road bike that gives you the confidence to keep pushing when the road gets nasty. Being a true Cervélo, that means it has no compromise on weight, ride quality, and the feeling of speed. After all, just because you want a better ride on that washboard/dirt/gravel road, doesn't mean you want to get dropped on the smooth parts of your ride.

The geometry is also designed to suit the endurance road bike. Slightly lower bb and longer wheel base for stability, combined with a little more stack than you'll find on the R5, all for those super long and adventurous days in the saddle. And don't worry GoLeafs, the C series will NOT replace any of our current lines. We'll continue with Aero Road in the S series, Classic Road in the R series, and Endurance Road with the C series.

I should also point out that the geometry was originally posted incorrectly. I believe some of the head tube values were entered incorrectly. The chart is updated HERE

Thank you for confirming the tire clearance on the C-series and sharing the updated geometry chart. 

I found the article on clearance: http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/clarity-on-tire-clearance.html  very revealing and precisely explains why I'm able to push the limits on my '14 S2 with a Zipp 28mm... thank you Cervélo!

"We may not have been the first to make an endurance road bike but, I feel confident putting the C5 up against any of the competition in terms of spec, performance, and ride quality."   ( 'Nuff said! ; - )

Cervélo
    Cervélo
  • 12-26-2015 11:09 AM In reply to

David:
    On that Geometry Chart, the Front Centre throughout the sizing seems to make a drop from size 51 to size 54. Is this an error?
  • 12-26-2015 12:23 PM In reply to

• GT1
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2008
    • Posts 934

don't think so

the fork offset is less and the head-angle greater on the 54, these bring the front axle closer to the center

the F-C increases again from size 56 and up 

• 12-28-2015 11:15 AM In reply to

I'm intrigued. I'm looking to upgrade/add to my stable at the moment, and I was initially keen on the S5. I'm now intrigued by the C5 due to the "endurance" geometry, as well as the disc brakes. Question about disc brakes, can I stick any set of disc brake wheel sets on this bike, or do I have to buy a wheelset that's compatible with the disc brakes that are on the C5? For instance, would the Enve SES 3.4 disc wheelset work with this bike? What about the crankset? Can I continue to use DA 9000 cranks? I obviously don't know jack about disc brakes. Thanks in advance.
    2017 R5 Disc
  • 12-28-2015 1:46 PM In reply to

boogermin:
    I'm intrigued. I'm looking to upgrade/add to my stable at the moment, and I was initially keen on the S5. I'm now intrigued by the C5 due to the "endurance" geometry, aQuestion about disc brakes, can I stick any set of disc brake wheel sets on this bike, or do I have to buy a wheelset that's compatible with the disc brakes that are on the C5? For instance, would the Enve SES 3.4 disc wheelset work with this bike? What about the crankset? Can I continue to use DA 9000 cranks?

As far as everything I've read, the C-series use thru-axles with a 135mm hub spacing in the rear, 100mm front.  What I don't know is if the axle diameter on the HED wheels is 10mm, 12mm or 15mm... "probably" a 12mm.  HED does sell conversion kits.  As for the Enve wheels... I don't see why not as long as you get the wheels built with thru axle hubs compatible with the C5... Enve wheels can be purchased with Chris King hubs or DT Swiss, and both of those offer thru axles in various axle diameters in 135mm spacing.  The Enve rims and Hed rims are nearly the same width... just +1mm difference for the HED rim.

The C-series use the same BBright BB standard as the rest of the bikes, so as long as you have a dedicated Shimano BBright BB/Adapter or something like BBInfinite's Shimano/BBright option, or Wheels Mfg. Shimano/BBright option, you will be able to install the Shimano crankset like on your other bikes.

• 12-28-2015 5:03 PM In reply to

Hey Hutch are you sure it's 135 x 12 for the rear? I read on another forum that it is 142 x 12. Maybe David Byer can confirm for us.
  • 12-28-2015 6:55 PM In reply to

normcorriveau:
    Hey Hutch are you sure it's 135 x 12 for the rear? I read on another forum that it is 142 x 12. Maybe David Byer can confirm for us.

What I wrote is certainly not official... I'm sure David Byer will confirm the hub spacing/thru axle diameter...

• 12-29-2015 10:32 AM In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 234

Hey Guys,

The C series bikes have a 142x12 through axle rear hub. I've found a good round up on 142x12 facts from Pink Bike:

- The goal of a 12 x 142 mm axle standard is to make thru-axles as quick and easy to use as a quick release system
    - Stiffness of a 12 mm thru-axle, but with a quick release's wheel self centering feature
    - 12 mm is the axle diameter, 142 mm refers to overall shoulder to shoulder width of hub (end cap to end cap)
    - Cassette and disc rotor are in the exact same relation to the hub's centerline as a standard 135 mm QR hub
    - Wheel dish remains the same as a 135 mm quick release wheel
    - Frame dropout's have 3.5 mm of inset per side that hub endcaps fit into - just as with a 10 x 135 mm QR wheel

With the C series have 420mm rear centre, you can use normal road cranks despite having the 142x12 through axle rear hub.
    David Byer
    S5 R5 T1
  • 12-29-2015 10:45 AM In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 234

Hello Bobby,

Good eye! No, that is not an error. Our engineering team has been working on refining our geometry for a number of years now. One of the goals with the C series bike, along with making it a more stable endurance geometry, was to normalize the Trail values across the entire model line. For smaller sizes, this becomes challenging as we also want to avoid toe overlap which can be a bigger issue given that these bikes are equipped to handle fenders.

You will notice that in the smaller frame sizes, like the 51, the head tube is on a more shallow angle. This increases trail. You will also notice that the fork offsets are greater. This decreases trail. Both changes allow for more toe clearance and, while the front centre is a little longer, the trail is lower meaning that it steers a little quicker. All combined, the C5 still has a higher performance feel in terms of steering input, combined with an Endurance geometry.

Personally, I ride a 51. I think they've really nailed it.
    David Byer
    S5 R5 T1
  • 12-29-2015 11:19 AM In reply to

Thanks David. Can you also confirm the front (100x12 or 100x15)?
  • 12-29-2015 11:25 AM In reply to

• David
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-13-2007
    • Toronto
    • Posts 234

Front axle is a 12 as well.
    David Byer
    S5 R5 T1
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.