in

2008 RS compared to what's out there now...

Last post 05-04-2016 4:50 AM by sergio. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2016 8:50 PM

• bill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-22-2008
    • Posts 24

2008 RS compared to what's out there now...

I have a 58 RS with Ultegra 6700 and have had it for 8 years. There seems to be a lot of new bikes out there, namely the Emonda SLR and high end S works, and I'm wondering what the difference is in their carbon frames as compared to my 8 year old RS. Granted, I know there has been improvements with wheelsets (wider, liter, tubeless) and components (dura ace 11s), but what about my frame as compared to others: - has there been significant upgrades in carbon frame building that I would find a noticeable change in my riding experience. (mainly group rides, cat 4/5 races) ? - any RS owners out there who have recently picked up a new bike? thank you
  • 03-31-2016 10:22 PM In reply to

Re: 2008 RS compared to what's out there now...

I have gone through a bunch of bikes in the last few years (S2, Cannondale caad10, argon gallium,..). I recently purchased a used 2009 RS. It is by far, the most comfortable bike I have ridden...which makes me ride more, which makes me a stronger rider. Keep it, the grass is just fine on this side of the fence. Mark
  • 04-01-2016 10:25 AM In reply to

• racewatcher
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-09-2011
    • Newfoundland and Labrador
    • Posts 215

Agreed, new is all nice and stuff, but my 2010 S2 is still an awesome bike and brings a smile on every ride. Mostly Ultegra, 9-speed. I'm in my 40's and not trying to race the young guys any more.
    racewatcher
  • 04-01-2016 3:39 PM In reply to

I have a 2009 RS 58cm and recently purchased a new Cervelo S2 2015 which I upgraded with Ultegra 6800 (got a great deal on both that it was still far less than an S3). Also, my RS was upgraded with Ultegra 6800 last year, so I have a pretty good direct comparison between both bikes. I had originally thought that the RS would slowly be retired but I'm finding that I enjoy both rides equally. My RS is actually lighter (16lbs 14oz) than my S2 (17lbs) and it is definitely more comfortable. The S2 is pure speed and the stiffness is in all the right places. Honestly, I don't feel anything was "lost" with the older RS, but upgrading the grouppo and wheels (using Reynolds Attacks 2014) was definitely a big plus. It is just a different ride (which allows me to justify the S2 purchase to my wife...). I definitely feel the RS frame can hang with any frame out there today - it is just such a great ride.
  • 04-08-2016 9:20 AM In reply to

bill:
    has there been significant upgrades in carbon frame building that I would find a noticeable change in my riding experience. (mainly group rides, cat 4/5 races) ? - any RS owners out there who have recently picked up a new bike? thank you
    The head tube. The older 2008 RS is not tapered. All the newer bikes are tapered. That adds a lot to stability especially going on a fast descent with tight turns. Look at the fork and now look at today's Cervelo forks. Way different. Yeah, fork and head tube. That's the big difference.
  • 04-13-2016 3:43 PM In reply to

Great discussion as I have the same frame! The big draw for me to upgrade (when I do) would be a more aero frameset. I'm not expecting a new bike to be more comfortable. I do think some newer frames (or just different frames) could offer better handling. The RS felt sluggish in steering, but I have adapted so it feels normal to me now.
  • 04-20-2016 4:46 AM In reply to

• sergio
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-19-2007
    • Tres Cantos - Spain
    • Posts 60

Hello Got my RS replaced by warranty for a R2. As soon as it stops raining I'll have my first ride and let you know. By now I can tell you that the built is slightly heavier, mainly given by the fact that is a size bigger, the BB is heavier.... the Geometry is more aggresive but the HT is long enough not to be playing around with a lot of spacers.. But the RS is an awesome bike, I loved it every single mile I put on it.
    R2 Ultegra and Fulcrum rZero wheels
  • 05-03-2016 9:58 PM In reply to

I'm wondering what a 2009 RS in excellent condition worth?  I've found one but they're asking $1500 Canadian (about $1100 USD).  Seems high to me?

• 05-03-2016 11:12 PM In reply to

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3033561

I used this site to price out two bikes I sold on ebay (Including a Cervélo P2 2009). Both bikes sold within a week.

• 05-04-2016 4:50 AM In reply to

• sergio
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-19-2007
    • Tres Cantos - Spain
    • Posts 60

I had my RS replaced by a R2 under warranty (classic dead bottom bracket) and despite I was in love with my RS and I enjoyed every minute with it the R2 is a better bike. Despite being slightly heavier (went from a 54 to a 56) the stiffness when you step on the pedals is noticeable from the first pedal stroke and the handling is WAY much better without being twitchy at all. Some old PRs in Strava have been beaten lately :) (I know it is probably the placebo effect) In short, the RS is an very good bike and I would have never replaced it if it weren't by the crack in the BB. But I have to reckon that the R2 is a different (and better IMHO) animal.
    R2 Ultegra and Fulcrum rZero wheels
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.