in

Why I should buy a Cervelo R3?

Last post 07-20-2016 7:29 PM by richphoto. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-19-2016 12:01 AM

Why I should buy a Cervelo R3?

Hey guys, 

I'm about to buy myself a new road bike after lusting for a little over a year and wrecking my old bike.  I'm crazy about Cervelo but haven't been able to pull the trigger. I'm actually between the R3, S3, and TCR Pro 1. As crazy as I am about Cervelo, I'm not overly crazy about the 2016 color way for the R3 or S3. I can get the R3 for $2900, S3 for $3200, and TCR for $3000.

What brought me to Cervelo was the look of the bikes over the years, Rotor cranks, the idea of the oversized BB, and a fantastic race history.

Giant is a big company and can offer more "bang for the buck" with a $3000 bike with good stiffness/weight that comes with carbon wheels, but those bikes are just ugly. The only thing besides the value that's keeping the Giant in this race is that I love the pioneer power meter. 

Assuming you are all Cervelo aficionados, what reasons would you give me to buy a Cervelo over the Giant? Looks are enough for me to buy one over the other, but I just don't like the 2016 colorway. Will it change in 2017? And what power meters do you run with your Rotor cranks? The rotor dual-power crank is too far out of my price range or else I'd have my sights set on that. 

Any advice and opinions from you Cervelo owners are helpful and appreciated. 

• 05-19-2016 7:44 AM In reply to

Re: Why I should buy a Cervelo R3?

This spring I picked up a 2013 R3, it has the silver/grey/white paint scheme. So my question to you is, why not see if you can find an earlier years model? I agree the paint scheme this year is not great. I chose the 2013 because of the price I got on it, the color and to upgrade the components to tackle the Mt. Washington Hill Climb or Newton's Revenge in a few years. I have a 2011 S5 with 404s, Rotor 3d+ crank and Red components. Why choose Cervelo over Giant. Well all I can say is that when I got my s5, I had been riding Treks. My first ride on the s5 and the earlier test rides of the r3/ r5 in conjunction with test rides of a Dogma, Tarmac & Roubaix told me that these bikes were special. The other thing I really love about Cervelo is the technical aspects and how they lead the way in terms of aero bikes, thinking outside the box and the trickle down effects from the RCA series. And of course there is one other thing to consider. Next time you are at a group ride, or charity ride you'll see LOTS of Trek, Specialized & Giant. What you won't see are a lot of Cervelo's and thus you'll get an ego boost when folks come over and admire your ride and ask questions about it.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 05-19-2016 8:36 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 355

I had been riding Giant's for over 10 years...I was on a TCR with Red. I awakes admired Cervelo's.... So I decided to give one a try. I built an 2009 S1.... with Sram Red.... Shortly after this was finished... My LBS suggested I keep an eye out for a bike I could demo with DI2.... The local Cervelo dealer had a S3 he let me test... I was hooked! But... I had just finished the S1....

A friend of mine asked me if If the S1 was for sale.... His GF loved it.... He offered me a lot for the bike... And I took it and bought a 2015 S3 frame... I then proceeded to build by "Dream Bike" and could not be happier with my choice!

There are deals out there now for older models. I have a friend that is looking for a P2 for his son.... $2,000.00 at the local dealer... new. They also have R2's for the same money. Look around... depending on size... there are a lot of deals that can be had. I bought my frame from a tip on this site on a Black Friday sale.

I still have my Giant TCR...I have delighted it to windy days on the road... and paved trails... I have thought about selling it and getting an R2 but... I cannot begin to get the same money as I did for the S1... The resale on them is poor... IMHO. Good luck with the choice!

2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2015 R2 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 05-19-2016 9:04 AM In reply to

• KeithR
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-19-2014
    • Windsor CA
    • Posts 68

If you look at the bikes I own at the bottom my 2009 R3 is what I favor the most, it is a do it all bike that almost feels like it has rear suspension compared to some of the other bikes I own yet still stiff and moves out and climb, it climbs like nothing ever I have ridden. My next bike will probably be a new R3 with disc brakes, good luck with your decision.

I do have a new 2012 R3 frame and new Rotor crank for it, it is a 58cm , Pm me if interested or email 768q@comcast.net for info.

2015 Cervelo S5 MTN Qhubeka edition
    2018 Cervelo S3
    2009 Cervelo R3 SL
    2015 Cannondale Super 6 Evo Red (SRAM)
    2017 Cannondale Super 6 Evo disc team replica
    2009 BMC SLC01
    2006 Wilier Imperiale 57cm
    1999 Trek USPS Kevin Livingstons old race bike
    1998 Trek Y-Foil 77
    1989 Trek 560es
    1961 Schwinn Corvette cruiser
  • 05-19-2016 11:37 AM In reply to

I actually like my white and black on black color R3 - it looks better in person than in the pictures. But to each his own.

But to answer your other question, I run a Power2Max (type S, the new one) on my R3. If you have Rotor cranks all you need is the tool to remove the spider (Power2Max sells it) and the power2max replacement spider. It is a very good deal vs other power meters, especially in USD thanks to current exchange rates. Support at Power2Max was great at helping me figure out what I needed to buy, and since it works with the Rotor cranks it was cheap as I didn't have to rebuy a crank saving me $$$.

I have been using my P2Max for about 9 months and it works great. I also have a computrainer and a powertap (deep wheels from my old TT bike) and from my riding and informal tests, I can say the Power2Max is as accurate as anything else. It auto zeros and tempature corrects so I've never seen weird drift or anything else. It also uses accelerometers for cadence so no magnet placement to mess with. Basically, It just works for me.

One other thing, if you are going di2 (like I did) the 2015/16 R3 runs the Di2 battery internally, whereas the prior years had an external battery under the bottom bracket. I personally love the internal seat tube battery setup without anything hanging off the BB.

If the colors really bother you, you could always have the bike repainted I guess! That said, I am sure the Giant bike is a great bike too. With the advances in bikes it really is tough to buy a "bad bike" these days. And it would be silly to say that looks don't matter when you are dropping this kind of cash. You have to like the look of the bike. And I wouldn't think Cervelo is changing the paint scheme on the R3 for at least a year.

________

2015 R3

2015 S5

2007 P2C

2006 Soloist Team -warranty replaced (with S5) RIP

• 05-19-2016 12:32 PM In reply to

• racewatcher
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-09-2011
    • Newfoundland and Labrador
    • Posts 215

One more thing to consider is the lifetime warranty on the Cervelo frame.
    racewatcher
  • 05-19-2016 2:42 PM In reply to

I decided this year that I should finally upgrade to a new bike after 17 years of riding my 1999 Litespeed Tuscany. Going into it, I already had a respect for Cervelo knowing that they are a big innovator in the bike industry and had a really good reputation so I knew I wanted to test a bike from them. Along with the Cervelos, my LBS had me ride Felts and Cannondales as well (I spoke with a second LBS about a BMC but I didn’t do a test ride). Between all three I could tell that the R3 was the bike for me. The Felts I tried were more relaxed than the R3 and to me it felt too soft in the back part of the frame. The Cannondales felt a little skiddish, but that may have been because the frames I tried were slightly smaller than I needed (I’m 6’3” and 200lbs so I need a 61cm frame). Everything just felt right with the R3 and a week later I had the LBS order one for me. It came in two weeks ago and since then I’ve put about 250 miles on it and feel like I have all of the final adjustments dialed in. I, too, was a little hesitant about the all black frame except the white top tube paint job, but as someone else said, it looks better in person and I don’t mind it now. Also, as someone else pointed out the lifetime warranty was a big selling point for me. The reason I didn’t even ride the BMC is that the LBS told me that they only offer a 5 year warranty. I wanted more than that. In the two weeks I’ve had the bike I find myself seeking out routes with large hills that I once avoided. Also, I’ve set several Strava PRs since I’ve been riding the R3. Overall I’m very happy with my decision and hope that this bike will last me several more years. I don’t think you’ll regret pulling the trigger on an R3. --Brad
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 05-27-2016 9:27 AM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Posts 275

So what did you buy?

2014 R3 (Hills bike)
    2012 Roubaix SL3 (Endurance bike)
  • 05-28-2016 1:41 AM In reply to

After a lot of back and forth I ordered the new S3. I've always wanted a Cervelo and was looking at the R3/TCR but found a shop that had an S3. I took it on a pretty long ride and found it to be comfortable and seems like a great all around bike. Did some homework and saw that it was a great all around bike because Garmin-Sharp was riding it in a couple of grand tours. The bike felt wicked fast and the geometry fit me pretty well so I pulled the trigger. Proud to finally be a Cervelo owner!
  • 05-28-2016 9:06 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 355

Congrats on the S3!!! I also have a S3 as my go to bike. Tyler Farrar from Dimension Data also rides one....
    2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2015 R2 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 07-20-2016 7:29 PM In reply to

be careful though on the "lifetime Warranty". I purchased my R3 based on that and even though I registered it with Cervelo, serial number and purchase date etc. They would not touch my bike without showing my original receipt. Sadly I purchased it from a shop in SF and had it shipped to me in Seattle. I think they had emailed me the receipt and I lost it over several years. Just be sure to put it in a safe place as it is the only way you can attempt a warranty. Aside from that my old beat up 2009 R3 CSC frame has been great, survived crashes and is still going strong. I am looking to build a new one and am considering the S3 now or th3 R3 disc if I can buy the R3d frame with brakes as I want to put etap on it.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.