in

Stagnant Cervelo S3 rides

Last post 04-25-2017 3:09 PM by stanseven. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2017 7:30 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 299

Re: Stagnant Cervelo S3 rides

Yes... If you drop below 6MPH it auto pauses. When you go above 6.. it auto resumes. For me the 6 is the sweet spot. My average is not affected.
    2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2015 R2 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 04-21-2017 7:00 AM In reply to

ifp123 - If you don't mind let me relate to you my experience this winter starting on Christmas day through the last week of March. But first a bit of background, I've been following a paleo/ ancestral health lifestyle for several years now with mixed results. The results have been up & down all due to personal stress in my life that meant I was self medicating via sugar. Now anytime I had long term success eating properly, my weight would drop and performance would improve. However last year I came across an advocate for a NSNG (no sugar no grain) lifestyle named Vinnie Tortorich. What differentiates NSNG from paleo is that Vinnie's way allows for grassfed dairy and he understands that from time to time we need to put some life into living. He's a cancer survivor and former endurance cyclist who is once more sponsored by Specialized and lives in ketosis. Anyway, you can tweet him and he will reply and he has a fantastic podcast that I was a guest on last week. As a cancer survivor he is careful what he puts in his body and he developed a pure magnesium supplement that I have taken since January and as a result my flexibilty has increased exponentially. For several years I was doing stretching 3x week and wasn't progressing. I take Pure Vitamin Club Magnesium and boom I can get into full child's pose. Anyway, two other things I did this winter that I had never done before was to do only zone 2 heart rate training for 14 weeks. Zone 2 is where you burn fat for fuel only and it's 180 minus your age plus about 5 bpm if you are healthy. So that meant for me I was not allowed to go above 144. There were times i wanted to go harder but what I noticed was that efforts got easier as time went on and now unleashed I can sit at higher bpms comfortably. The second thing I did was alter my weight training by cutting the weight in half and doubling my sets. So instead of 3x10 at 460lb leg presses, I did 6x10 at 230lb leg presses. And I did that for squats, bench, neck shrug, hammy curls, lat pulls, calf raises etc along with my stretching and core work. So back to your goals, on Easter Sunday this year I not only went over 1000 miles for the year, but also averaged 21.7 over 20 miles on my r3 with non aero wheels. I am pretty sure had I been on my s5 in the aero bars with 404s I would easily have done over 22. The terrain was rolling with some short steep climbs. I haven't been this fit since spring 2012 when I first discovered paleo and am loving how I am feeling. It's amazing how once you discard the standard advice and actually look at the science of how our bodies function as a machine and eat the right fuel what you can do.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 04-21-2017 11:06 AM In reply to

Much of our energy is to overcome aerodynamic drag.  Perhaps, you would consider body positioning, relative saddle height to bar drop to further improve aerodynamics if the body allows.

• 04-21-2017 11:14 AM In reply to

• ifp123
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-30-2012
    • Maryland (DMV) area
    • Posts 775

-Time to close this. Thanks.
  • 04-22-2017 9:55 PM In reply to

It sounds like you tried most everything. Now you are down to a coach - someone go analyze your workouts and data and structure training.
  • 04-25-2017 3:09 PM In reply to

I didn't really respond well first time. Let me try again. It seems like you're done most everything to increase speed on your own. Lots of people in similar situations found big improvements by using a knowledgable and experienced coach. While there are many, many training programs and sources of information available, they don't work the same with everyone. A coach can analyze data from each of your rides, see the areas where you need improvement, and structure a training program for specifically your needs. Based on the experience of many people I know, some of which are in the elite category, a coach was essential in getting them to the next stage after exhausting all the things you have done.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.