in

S3 Derailleur Hangar, and seat stay bends when quick release is fastened

Last post 07-30-2017 11:00 AM by eddymerckx3. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-29-2017 10:03 AM

S3 Derailleur Hangar, and seat stay bends when quick release is fastened

Hi there, Wondering if anyone can help. Basically across the last few months my S3 has not shifted well. I put it down to a bent derailleur cage after I had a tangle during a race. Just fitted a new Derailleur and hanger and the issue is still there. The hangar and seat stay appear to move once pressure is applied from the QR, video below: https://youtu.be/5BZEaaKWlYs This is despite a correctly fitted new hanger! Any ideas on what is causing this, or is the frame just broken.
  • 07-29-2017 4:40 PM In reply to

Re: S3 Derailleur Hangar, and seat stay bends when quick release is fastened

Is the length of the rear axle between the drop outs exact 130mm? Is there any uneven paint under the hangers bolting. The moving of the dropout seems normal and in tolerances, but the moving of the rd seems .. odd ..
    ___▲___▲___▲___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >>
  • 07-29-2017 4:50 PM In reply to

Mine did the same thing but not as bad. Take a close look and make sure the hanger in setting in the pocket nice and square and double check the screws that hold it in place. I ended up making a hanger alignment tool that screws into the hanger while the Wheel is clamped in the drop outs and bent the hanger using the wheel as a guide. I made something simular to this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiwFjGV88C8&t=146s
  • 07-29-2017 4:54 PM In reply to

Maybe the little hanger screws are fixed with LocTite but were not tighten properly before, so the screws seems fixed but the hanger still can move .. if so solve the LocTite by heating the screws (not the frame) shortly with a soldering iron, refresh the Loctite (No 243) and tighten the screws with a sharp allen key .. to align the hanger with the special tool is a good idea, too ..
    ___▲___▲___▲___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >>
  • 07-30-2017 11:00 AM In reply to

...slight movement of the dropout (and attached hanger) is normal when locking your quick release. The movement will be more obvious/pronounced if your hanger is loose. As others have said, start by making sure the two small screws that hold your dropout are firmly fixed, but do not over tighten. Buy a Park Tools DAG 2 hanger alignment tool (about $70) and check the alignment of your new hanger (this is an indispensable tool to have in your quiver if you own any bikes with replaceable hangers). See the following for instructions for hanger alignment: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-hanger-alignment . Yes, your new hanger will need to be aligned to match the alignment of your dropouts (no exceptions) and make sure that your quick release is installed and locked before aligning your new hanger.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.