in

Just a heads up - on buying a used Cervelo if you have a problem down the road....(you're on your own)

Last post 10-15-2017 8:44 PM by jakes. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-15-2017 6:16 PM

Just a heads up - on buying a used Cervelo if you have a problem down the road....(you're on your own)

I am on my 4th Cervelo in the past 11 years. I have owned a SLC-SL, R5 VWD, S1 and now a 2016 S5. Like many out there I have the issue with the S5 seat post clamp not holding the saddle level. It is a common problem, you can read about it here on this forum as well as others. Cervelo is obviously aware of it as well as I am sure that it was a factor in why the redesigned the post for 2017. I contacted Cervelo and explained what was happening and they told me to take bike to a Cervelo dealer and if they fount the post defective they could start the warranty process for me. This I did and the shop agreed the post was at issue and contacted Cervelo who stated to warranty the post they need a copy of the bill of sale. I purchased this 2016 S5 in October 2016 from an authorized Cervelo dealer in Texas who was selling it as a trade in. They sold it originally and now the buyer wanted a different bike, I provided a copy of the PayPal transaction used to pay for the bike. Cervelo has denied my warranty claim saying that since I am not the original owner they cannot help me. This was news to me as they warrantied the seatpost on my "used" SLC-SL @ 2010-2011 when the aluminum head separated from the carbon (again a known issue that was remedied with a redesigned post) I understand that this is Cervelo's policy now, maybe it was back then too and they were just being nice. BUT it is important for people to know that is you buy a used Ceverlo, no matter where from (including Cervelo dealers) and there is an issue with that bike (even if Cervelo is aware of this issue and you take it to a Cervelo dealer who confirms this) - You are ON YOUR OWN! It is what is it.......I emailed two different people at Cervelo to express my sadness over the outcome of this process and received no response at all. The purpose of this post is not to bash Cervelo but just to make others aware of what happened so they know what they are getting if they are not the orignal owner of their bike.
  • 09-15-2017 8:12 PM In reply to

• bw987
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2015
    • Posts 14

Re: Just a heads up - on buying a used Cervelo if you have a problem down the road....(you're on your own)

Thanks for the heads up but this is not an uncommon practice. Many warranties cover only the first owner. Its good practice when buying any big ticket item to know the policy.
    2015 R3
  • 09-15-2017 8:24 PM In reply to

Re: Just a heads up - on buying a used Cervelo if you have a problem down the road....(you're on your own)

I agree that it is common practice, BUT, in a case where it is a known issue (but not serious enough to be a "recall") and that the bike was purchased from a Cervelo dealer and checked out by a Cervelo dealer I thought they might replace it.....and.....considering they did just that for me several years ago. Oh well, times have changed.
  • 09-16-2017 9:04 AM In reply to

• bw987
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2015
    • Posts 14

Yes, I agree they can be more conscious of a repeat customer and supporter.
    2015 R3
  • 09-17-2017 9:53 AM In reply to

• m66
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2014
    • Posts 29

Contrast that with Stages Power for example. I bought a used Stages Power meter on eBay, fused to an SISL2 crank arm. Backstory - For those that don't know, SISL2 crank arms are Cannondale factory supplied cranks for their high end bikes. Super stiff, extremely light, The only part CDale still makes in the US. They retail for $1200 a set. (without the Power Meter!) Stages actually stopped fusing their power meters to the SISL2 crank, citing an extremely tedious process to calibrate to that crank arm. They now do the Si crank instead. Sooo. I was psyched to find an SISL2 Stages, and won the bidding war. And the unit was in mint condition, as new. But I couldn't get it to pair with my Garmin 500. After spending a little time with their tech support, they asked me for the /serial number. After checking, they told me that unit had been recalibrated and tested in house a few weeks prior, and that it performed properly with their Garmin. I told them how I had come to obtain it, and they told me since I was having the same issue, to return it to them and they would attach a new power meter to the arm, which they did, and they sent it back to me Priority at their expense. They could have very easily played the original owner card, but instead they went and did a process that they weren't even offering any longer. And I tell everyone who asks about Stages this story. I wish I could tell stories like this about Cervelo, because I truly love their bikes, but I feel am 100% on my own when it comes to support, even as someone who has purchased 2 new bikes from an authorized dealer. I currently also have a 2016 S5 that I got used, and if anything goes wrong I know they wouldn't remotely consider helping me...
  • 09-25-2017 6:01 PM In reply to

Cervelo covered my warranty without the bill of sale. I was the original owner and the store that I bought it di all the work.
  • 09-27-2017 9:02 AM In reply to

I have the same problem with the slipping S5 seatpost,  got the advice to increase torque to 8nm, after some time it cracked

no warranty, no recognition from Cervelo that it was a defect part, everything is my fault as they said.

I bought the new design seatpost  and no problems from day1, no need to overtighten it.

I wonder do they care about our security when they don't replace defect seatposts, be the first owner or second?

Not nice to know that you pay for a top bike without support

R3 2014
  • 10-15-2017 3:36 PM In reply to

• jakes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-05-2014
    • Posts 24

Hi Chris50, 8Nm is the torque spec for our S series seatposts, if you tighten the post below that you may experience slipping. Glad you got the advice to increase the torque if it was below that. Carbon compound should also be used to prevent slipping.
    Jakub Macel
    Digital Communication Advocate
    Cervelo
  • 10-15-2017 5:35 PM In reply to

Wow Jakub, way to step up and post a reply that means absolutely nothing to the root of this posters or my concern about when Cervelo knows there is an issue with one of their parts but refuses to offer any support what-so-ever to a customer / client if the are not the original owner of the bike.
  • 10-15-2017 8:44 PM In reply to

• jakes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-05-2014
    • Posts 24

Hi edowart, Sorry I am travelling at the Ironman World Championships and saw the last message come through on my phone and replied. I missed the original post and I apologize for that. Safety is a major priority for Cervelo and we test all our products extensively. I am sorry you have experienced issues with your seatpost, we used that seatpost head design for many years on P series and S series models with a very small percentage of incidents. We redesigned the S series seatpost to offer extra compliance, and also to offer compatibility with oval carbon rail saddles, without the need for a secondary seatpost head. It was not in response to any known defect. If a retailer sells a used Cervelo through their store, they should alert any buyers that our warranty policy is not valid on the purchase. I apologize to any customer if that was not the case. I will ensure our sales team makes that clear with our retailers to avoid this type of issue in the future. Regards,
    Jakub Macel
    Digital Communication Advocate
    Cervelo
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.