in

At what point do you get a power meter?

Last post 10-12-2017 1:07 PM by Kronan. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-25-2017 3:24 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 306

Re: At what point do you get a power meter?

That is My motorhome... It has been "freshined up" since COR... This was on the way to the San Juan islands (NW of Seattle) this Past Summer.

IMG_3066

2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2015 R2 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 09-25-2017 5:57 PM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Posts 260

That's a beauty Don. On your trip you stopped just south of me in Vancouver, BC. I am sure you enjoyed that trip and the riding there.
    2014 R3 (Hills bike)
    2012 Roubaix SL3 (Endurance bike)
  • 10-11-2017 11:26 AM In reply to

• Teige
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-31-2017
    • Posts 1

No need to get one. They are not nearly as accurate from day to day as is claimed. One of the very best tri coaches in the nation based out of Boulder does not permit any of her clients to use them. The rider begins to rely on their perceived power readings, and often does not "push through" during training as needed as soon as they gawk at their "supposed" power reading. One of her pupils just finished 2nd in the worlds for Olympic-Tri in Rotterdam last month in the female 24-28 age group, with no power meter on her tri bike during the race or training. And she won the cycling section of her age group race easily. It's a pure gimmick that people buy because they lack the mental disclipline to train properly so they need a crutch. Next they'll come out with a meter for telling you how tightly you have tightened your cycling shoes and whether your shirt and shorts are an optimal fit, and goofballs will race out to buy those too. Sorry, but any low level amateur buying a power meter is simply someone to be laughed at in my opinion, and I see a good number of them climbing "slowly" and getting passed all the time in the hills around Boulder and Golden, CO. I've lost count of how many of them I have dropped in the past year on my non power metered Cervelo. People can literally be sold anything these days and convinced through marketing, placebo effect, and internet hype that they have to have it, and that it transforms them. LOL
  • 10-11-2017 4:33 PM In reply to

• Denmae
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-27-2013
    • Barrie, On
    • Posts 8

Teige, you sure you're old enough to ride on your own?
    2013 S2
    2014 S3
    2003 SuperProdigy
  • 10-11-2017 5:34 PM In reply to

• maustin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2010
    • Hobart, TAS
    • Posts 38

Wow Teige, you must be fun at parties! Taking a step back from your evangelical hatred of power meters, you do make one valid point; that is, buying a power meter won't make you faster, and it certainly won't make you faster than all the people without power meters. You've actually got to do something with the data. But they have their place for a lot of athletes. Just clearly not you, Teige ;-) I do have to pull you up on the issue of scientific rigour though. A conclusion drawn based on the outcome of a single sample point from one experiment isn't a particularly rigorous conclusion. So, one athlete performed well in a race without a power meter. Sagan uses one, and he's a triple World Champion! About the only useful conclusion I can draw from the example you have provided is that perhaps the athlete concerned needs to spend more time working on her running and swimming, because if she's so much better on the bike than everyone else but is still coming second, her coach needs to rethink her training strategy!! As an aside, I recently got beaten on a famous TdF climb by my mate - I was riding my S3 equipped with a set of ENVE 3.4s (weighs in at about 7.0kg). He was riding a 12.5kg mountain bike and nursing a double fracture to his scapula from about two weeks before. Using Teige's scientific rigour, I believe we should all be dumping our Cervelo's and riding half tonne clunkers if we want to be able to laugh at people as we drop them on a climb!! BTW - neither of us had power meters.
    That's what you get when you suffer - you get results
  • 10-12-2017 1:07 PM In reply to

• Kronan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2012
    • Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 294

Teige, I can understand the point of view and know folks who subscribe to the "by feel" method as well. I have my "quasi" / HR based PM as more of an interested observer item as I am far from a star athlete. I am one you will pass left, right and centre on a climb....not because of my power meter, but because of the extra heft I have around my middle (going down, though...my mtb roots taught me a lot, so I use those extra pounds I haul up to descend hard and hair-on-fire fast).

I don't "need" the PM, but I find it useful overall because I can actually do a little something with the data...even as a non-racing fat guy. If I'm working on getting some pounds off, I get into a plan on the trainer and I try to keep the same sort of target power from my plan (and manage TSS) when I hit the asphalt. I also know that for my long distance rides, including the very hilly charity ride and office mountain ride I do each year, I can get myself into trouble if I go too fast for too long. I don't watch the PM output as a crutch, but rather check it to confirm that I can hold when my legs are saying back off.

A PM is a tool....if you have it and don't use it, it's not worth much. If you have it and rely too much on it, you can get yourself into trouble (you are not a machine) or it can become a crutch. Use it as part of an overall plan, including listening to your body, and it can be a very useful tool to help you achieve more from your cycling, regardless of the level (weekend warrior to Cat 1 racer...probably not much benefit for the casual types).

'12 Cervelo S2 (full Chorus, upgraded bars, saddle, wheels and tires)
    '09 Knolly Delirium T (frame up custom)
    '?? Mercury road bike
    '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX (signed frame)
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.