in

Cervelo r3 with tri bars

Last post 10-19-2017 8:11 PM by Butch . 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-27-2017 1:33 PM

Cervelo r3 with tri bars

Sadly had my trusty 2008 P2 stolen and so now have my R3 for everything. Love the bike but am doing long distance tri's again next year, so I am thinking that if I put tri bars on it, it won't do the job of saving my legs for the run, as the P2 would.

Does anyone have any experience of using a R3 as a tri bike or should i flog it and bite the bullet with another P2?

• 09-28-2017 6:58 AM In reply to

Re: Cervelo r3 with tri bars

I do not have any experience using my R3 with clip on aero bars, but I do have experience using them on my S5. About a year or two after getting the S5, I realized my 17 mile (at that time) commute in to work, might be quicker if I were to get aero bars. The S5 is wicked fast to begin with. I went back to Andy at Landry's and had him adjust my bike fit to incorporate some 3T ergonova clip on aero bars. Long story short, I flew using them and on the days where the stars lined up completely - fresh legs, tailwind, fantastic weather I flew and even on the days where 2 of 3 factors were right I still flew. Thus perhaps an S5 or S3 with clip on aero bars might be a better more versatile choice.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 09-28-2017 11:52 AM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 44

Agree with cawright. I have an R2 and it's plenty aero compared to other bikes I've owned, especially with good aero wheels, but it still doesn't compare to my now older Ridley Noah. An S3 or S5 would really be the better bike if you want to get the most out of aero bars. The aero clip ons on your R3 will improve comfort and make it easier to get more speed, but it's not going to be optimal against a bike already designed to be more aerodynamic in the first place. Rotten that someone would steal a bike. Sorry to hear about that.
    2015 R2 serious fun (climbing) bike will be upgraded some to become just a hair lighter
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
  • 10-06-2017 3:44 PM In reply to

• Kronan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2012
    • Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 294

I'll agree too...aeros will help the R3 do better, but an S-series is closer to the P in terms of speed. In my case, it is an S2 with the clip-ons and it flies along. Under the right conditions, my fat butt can cruise along in the low to mid-40 km/h range (solo) and gobble up long distance rides.

If you are going to sell the R3 and get one bike, an S is the way to go. It won't be quite as fast as a dedicated tri bike (like the P-series), but it will be faster than an R.

'12 Cervelo S2 (full Chorus, upgraded bars, saddle, wheels and tires)
    '09 Knolly Delirium T (frame up custom)
    '?? Mercury road bike
    '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX (signed frame)
  • 10-19-2017 12:04 PM In reply to

Thanks for this - as I thought I suppose the geometry isnt really there with the R3 for long distance tris but is perfect for sportives. I suppose the R3 will need to be sold and then an entry level S bike purchased! Oh how terrible....

• 10-19-2017 8:11 PM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 44

Or... keep the R3 and get an S. That way you can certainly cover more cycling events and situations.
    2015 R2 serious fun (climbing) bike will be upgraded some to become just a hair lighter
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.