in

Is a Subaru Impreza 2011 good for driving?

Last post 02-16-2018 12:24 PM by Kronan. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-25-2017 5:41 AM

Is a Subaru Impreza 2011 good for driving?

This month, I decided to purchase a used car from Japan, because they have some special promotions and discount, the price after discount is suitable for my budget and cheaper than local price more than thousand USD. I chose a Subaru Impreza 2011 for sale at a Japanese platform named carfromjapan.com (https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-subaru-impreza-for-sale-year2011), its price is about USD 10,300 (included tax & fee when I imported in France). I have never driven a Subaru Impreza, so I'm very curious if it is easy to control and how does it perform. Does anyone have the chance to drive it? Can you give me some advances?
  • 12-26-2017 2:32 AM In reply to

• GT1
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2008
    • Posts 934

Re: Is a Subaru Impreza 2011 good for driving?

is it left hand drive ?

• 12-29-2017 9:20 AM In reply to

• Allanj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 57

Imprezas go from being sluggish family cars to rocketships depending on the model! What are you getting? And yes, as the other poster says, it will be right hand drive if it is Japanese. Anyway, will it have ETAP or Di2?
  • 01-03-2018 11:51 PM In reply to

It is right hand drive, this Subaru Impreza 2011 is a Japanese car.
    GT1:

is it left hand drive ?

• 01-04-2018 3:34 PM In reply to

• GT1
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2008
    • Posts 934

I would regard that to be a handicap when using this car in France...

• 01-22-2018 4:49 AM In reply to

Haha it maybe. Actually, I would like to drive it in UK. I will move to there in February ;)
  • 01-22-2018 9:50 AM In reply to

• Noel
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2012
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 259

I am still trying to make sense of this thread :) OP decided to buy, imported vehicle to France then ask for feedback? Not quite the order of events one would expect. And on this forum too :) Sorry. Just me thinking out loud.
    2013 Cervelo S5 - Shimano Ultegra / Zipp 404
    2009 Cervelo S1 - Shimano Ultegra / Zipp 404
    2009 Cervelo S2 - SRAM Force / SRAM S60

Santa Cruz VP Free
    Santa Cruz Superlight
    Trek Speed Concept
    Trek Marlin

• 01-22-2018 10:12 AM In reply to

• Allanj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 57

Noel:
    I am still trying to make sense of this thread :) OP decided to buy, imported vehicle to France then ask for feedback? Not quite the order of events one would expect. And on this forum too :) Sorry. Just me thinking out loud.
    Indeed, hopefully the good people at "Rav4 world" will have been a bit more helpful: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/93-off-topic/275897-does-anyone-drive-subaru-impreza-2011-a.html
  • 01-22-2018 11:31 AM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 51

Impreza is a reliable car and should be fine. Especially if you own a Cervelo bike. Gotta keep it relevant on the Cervelo forum. Hope you got the hatch version so you can put the bike inside the car to transport it!
    2015 R2 serious fun (climbing) bike will be upgraded some to become just a hair lighter
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
  • 01-29-2018 12:00 PM In reply to

@Butch That's a point when i buy a big car, so that I can put my bike inside the car :))), get it to travel with me.
  • 01-29-2018 9:44 PM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 51

I always carry the bike inside the car! Safer for the bicycle and makes maintenance a lot easier since it stays out of the road dirt while being transported.
    2015 R2 serious fun (climbing) bike will be upgraded some to become just a hair lighter
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
  • 02-16-2018 12:24 PM In reply to

• Kronan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2012
    • Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 298

Sorry to be late to this conversation. I have a 1998 Subaru Forrester SF5 (STI before they called them STIs) that was imported from Japan (still has the Tokyo Subaru dealer sticker on it). The car was pretty close to showroom condition (auction cars may be a little more variable, so be careful there) and very low km.

A few points to ponder for anyone thinking of going this route:

1) make sure you know the import laws....In Canada, we can't bring anything in that is less than 15 years old unless that model was previously and specifically tested and declared by the manufacturer as meeting all safety requirements. My Fozzy is essentially the same body as the Canadian version, but the underpinnings are the same as the CG8 (bug eye) Impreza...both came here, but not in that combo.

2) Right hand drive can take a while to get used to...the biggest thing to be wary of is left turns when both directions have turning lanes.

3) Insurance can be a bit of a hassle...not because the cars are RHD, but because the insurance companies are cheap and OEM parts from Japan cost more than OEM parts from the dealer down the street.

4) The bang for your buck, especially if you're a bit choosy, can be far better going JDM vs. North American used. The Japanese insurance structure mandates that the cars essentially be reconditioned to near new every 2-3 years. After the first (3 years from new) and second (2 years after that) re-certification, the insurance generally gets high enough that folks buy a new car (which are cheaper there) as they flip insurance costs for vehicle costs and get a new car with new warranty. It means that a lot of the 15 year old JDM cars have low km and are in really good shape for the money vs. their 5-10 year old NA counterparts (for the same money).

5) There may be some "regular maintenance" costs up front to deal with (i.e. new battery, maybe a timing belt if not already done, possibly hoses...i.e. goods that can degrade if the car is stored for a few years). Once you get the catch-up work done, my experience with both the Forester and a Suzuki Carry mini-truck I had before have shown me that these vehicles really do show how little use they had in their previous life in Japan. Both of the JDM vehicles I have had readily became daily drivers and were rock-solid dependable (as in just as dependable as my wife's 2 year old SUV).

As for Subarus, and the 2011 Impreza, yes, they are good driving. My Fozzy is a blast and handles Canadian winter like a champ.

'12 Cervelo S2 (full Chorus, upgraded bars, saddle, wheels and tires)
    '09 Knolly Delirium T (frame up custom)
    '?? Mercury road bike
    '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX (signed frame)
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.