in

Cervelo Warranty for Damage During Trainer Usage

Last post 01-23-2018 11:59 AM by peislc. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-22-2018 2:52 PM

Cervelo Warranty for Damage During Trainer Usage

In case you're one of the growing number of cyclists using a Cervelo-framed bicycle on a trainer to utilize one or more training apps (e.g., Zwift, Sufferfest, etc), you may be under the impression that the frame's warranty will cover any cracks or breaks that occur during trainer usage.  While many brands have recently clarified that their respective warranties do not cover damage during trainer usage, to my knowledge Cervelo has not made their position publically known.  Cervelo's warranty also makes no mention of trainer usage or otherwise specially disclaims warranty coverage for such usage.  Unfortunately, I learned the answer the hard way after the chainstay on my Cervelo S3 recently cracked during trainer usage.  The frame is less than a year old and failed within thirty minutes of trainer use.  Cervelo subsequently informed me that damage caused by trainer usage is not covered under the warranty.  

Cervelos are great bikes and I've been fortunate to own and ride five of them over the past several years over thousands of miles.  However, should any crack or break develop during trainer usage, do not expect Cervelo to cover it under warranty. 

2017 Cervelo S3 Etap
    2012 R5 VWD DA
    2011 R5 Sram Red
  • 01-23-2018 3:30 AM In reply to

Re: Cervelo Warranty for Damage During Trainer Usage

From my point of view the word warranty is misunderstood by many. Every frame " is warranted by Cervélo Cycles Inc. against defects in workmanship and materials (...).Cervélo does not warrant against damage caused by normal wear and tear". Written in warranty conditions.

Before reading this, I thought that I would get a new frame, when my old one ist broken. In fact, that is not the case, if it is normal wear, which every frame of every brand is underlying.

But I find it a bit strange to get an invitation for the Cervelo Canada Cup on Zwift, when Cervelos might not be engineered to last the demands of trainer sessions.

2014 P3 CustomBuild
    2013 S5 Ultegra with Xentis Squad Wheels
  • 01-23-2018 6:47 AM In reply to

• Allanj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 52

That is disappointing to hear and greater clarity would be welcomed. As Andid333 days there is promotion of Zwift use by cervelo, and we have a discussion on this forum about indoor trainers where a cervelo rep talks about their use and makes no mention of this (https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/16463.aspx). I have had issues with recurrent chainstay cracks so have not gone for an indoor trainer on that basis,
  • 01-23-2018 9:23 AM In reply to

Fully agree it is disappointingly ironic that Cervelo is a promoter on Zwift, enabling users to earn an S5 through the extensive trainer use required to reach level 24, yet Cervelo will not warranty any damage to your real Cervelo frameset that you use on a trainer to reach that goal. 

2017 Cervelo S3 Etap
    2012 R5 VWD DA
    2011 R5 Sram Red
  • 01-23-2018 10:38 AM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 49

The fixed stresses delivered to a bike frame on a trainer are pretty rough. I would never put a carbon bike on a trainer, unless it's one never being ridden on the road again. I bought a super cheap aluminum bike years ago to take that abuse. The only thing I looked for was a frame that could be adjusted to mirror the set up on my road bikes as closely as possible. Has worked out great and saved that kind of wear and tear on my favorite bikes.
    2015 R2 serious fun (climbing) bike will be upgraded some to become just a hair lighter
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
  • 01-23-2018 11:59 AM In reply to

personally I am with Butch on this one.  I did a similar thing, I kept one of my aluminum road bikes for just the purpose to have it as a permanent fixture to my trainer and if I want I might use it as a gravel bike.... but I do not want to over stress my frame in a way that is not the way the frame was not designed for.  Just my opinion though.  If I was included to use a carbon bike in a trainer I would probably go with the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer to reduce the stress.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.