in

Getting some upgrades on R2

Last post 02-21-2018 9:37 PM by Haffster. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-30-2018 7:50 PM

Getting some upgrades on R2

Long time lurking (read: learning), first time posting on this great forum - thank you to all of you who take time to post thoughtful and useful information. I got into road biking early last year, got the R2 with a view to see how things pan out. Put about 1600 KMs last summer, so I would think not too shabby for a newbie who's mostly doing weekend riding. Absolutely love the bike - at the time of buying (late 2016), I passed on a better spec'd R3 with the view that I was buying a great frame and seeing how things work for me. I'm 6', 170 lbs, moderate fitness, crazy work life balance.... mostly ride around the rural Burlington/Milton area close to Toronto - beautiful roads, moderately hilly in spots. Been on the trainer this winter, and thought it was time for some upgrades. Zero'd in on DA 9100 C24s (didn't want full carbon), for general "lightness" and perhaps a bit of help with some moderate climbing efforts. Ended up ordering the wheels built: HED Belgium + DT Swiss 350 + Sapim CX-Ray. Came in at virtually the same price as the DA - hope I made the right choice! Now thinking of getting Ultegra Di2 - absolutely nothing wrong with my 105s, they perform beautifully for my needs, but am interested in the electronic shifting (tried it on a buddy's bike and loved it). One debate now is to whether get the whole groupset or the Rotor 3D+ crankset - former is cheaper, but latter doesn't cause a huge financial burden. I'm on the fence, because: 1) there's nothing wrong with the FSA that came with the bike; 2) Ultegra (if I get the whole groupset) will incrementally be a relatively affordable inclusion - will look nicer, might even be "better" in some way (including looks); 3) Not many people seem to be ill served by Shimano cranks (heck - the new Cervelos have them on all bikes now), but I have read some "purist" argument about why add another part (adaptor) when you don't have to. Would love to have your your thoughts. Thank you, once again - I have read a lot on this forum and I am humbled by how much it has enlightened me.
  • 01-30-2018 9:58 PM In reply to

Re: Getting some upgrades on R2

Welcome to the forum. You will have to visit us in Collingwood if you get a chance. You have begun the long road to tweaking the steed LOL. It can be very rewarding and part of the road to experience. You will certainly see a great gain in fitness in year 2 of your riding especially with the winter training. Your wheel choice is excellent and should allow some wider rubber with great ride and low rolling resistance. Good rim and spoke choice for a new rider. Your crank choices are all good but staying all shimano ensure's optimum shifting. I'm not saying the Rotor crank is inferior in any way. My brother who has a S5 (current model) and is a rider leader for the Oakville Club started with a Rotor the frame shipped with for a coupe hundred km. He then installed a Dura Ace crank and really noticed no difference. All good. As a new rider may I suggest a good bike fit if you have not not had one. I would suggest a bike fit each year to fine tune your riding position as your position gets more refined. Aid's speed, comfort efficency and satisfaction all important. Best of luck in the coming year.
    COR Co-organizer 2015
    2010 Cannondale Rush MTB
    Kona Jake The Snake Cross bike
    2011 Cervelo R3 Red - sold
    2013 Cervelo S5 Red
    2014 Cervelo S3 Red 22
  • 01-31-2018 6:14 AM In reply to

Thanks Rider2. Halfway through last year, I did get a “proper” fitting (the Retul kind!). It did make a very noticeable difference, in fact the fitter had to swap out the seat post to get it precisely right for me. Thanks for the advice on getting it fine tuned periodically (I didn’t think of that), especially since I’m changing parts on the bike. I’m still researching the crank bit - highly appreciate your thoughts. You’re lucky living/biking in Collingwood, it’s a beautiful place.
  • 01-31-2018 2:34 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 326

I also have an R2 that I upgraded. In fact I never rode it stock. It is an AWESOME bike! I went with Sram Red. I do have Di2 on my P5 and a Tandem. The R2 has Enve carbon clinchers but... I am thinking of going to a HED Jet 4-6+ combo. I really like the HED wheels.

IMG_3289

2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2015 R2 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 01-31-2018 10:20 PM In reply to

Very nice, Don. That bike looks phenomenal. Funny you mentioned the HED Jet 4/6+. That’s exactly what my LBS recommended and got me started on this quest. In the end, I decided I don’t want deeper wheels just now, so started looking into DA, the HED Ardennnes and then finally the Belgiums. My weakest place (although much improved) continues to be the climbs and my choice of wheels is somewhat focused on the terrain I ride mostly. But the Jet+ are fantastic, just not for me at this particular point. In fact, as I am evaluating the Ultegra Di2 upgrade on the R2, I’m very mindful that for another $1,000 (Canadian) or so, I could get an S3 Ultegra 6800 from last year! Might just do that, and then boil my blood for the next several months to get wheels for that - the Jets 4/6 would do very nicely with that.
  • 02-01-2018 12:41 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 326

I have a S3 also as my primary steed.... It has HED Jet 6 + Front and rear. This one also has Sram Red 22. This was before I put the Quarq PM on the S3. There is very little difference in weight between the 4's and the 6's.

IMG_1539

2015 COR participant
  • 02-01-2018 6:12 AM In reply to

Nice. The 4/6 recommendation was more for crosswinds than weight - he said the 4 up front would be better for that.
  • 02-01-2018 6:54 AM In reply to

Haffster - another thing to consider with wheels & crosswinds is your body weight. I know of some women in the club I rode with who had deeper section wheels comparable to Zipp 404s and because of their weight they got blown around a bit.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 02-01-2018 7:40 AM In reply to

Good point, thanks. I’m 170 lbs on a good day, so I guess there will be some wind resistance :) I’m really just toying with the idea of getting an S3 - it’s a want, not a need and looks like there’s a few of the last model (2016) available in my size that I can get for a tempting price. And that’s the colour scheme I love (the grey with a bit of red up front). If I do pull the trigger, I’ll probably save the wheel upgrade for later.
  • 02-01-2018 10:59 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 326

I very rarely have an issue with my 60mm wheels. I have a Jet 4 if I wanted to use it but never have. On my p5 I have a 3 spoke. That does get blown around. When I won the KS Sr games the wind was up to 17 steady and gusts to 25. The course was a loop at an airport with a lot of turns. I called HED and asked what they would suggest for my wheel choices. I had a full disc, Jet 9+, Jet 6+, Jet 4+ as rear wheel options. For the front... Hed 3 spoke, Jet 4+, Jet 6+. They told me that the rear will hardly be affected with the forecasted wind. For the front they suggested the Jet 6+. (On a calm day the 3 spoke is faster... but for me it is harder to handle). I won my age group in the 5K and the 10K and was the fastest in both for all age groups. My point is you might just want to go with the Jet 6+ for the F & R. If it is real windy... use your Belgium + on the front.

Before I became a HED dealer... I have a buddy that had Jet 4's when I was also using them. We would have coasting contests... a lot. We were pretty much a dead heat all of the time. I (without telling him) bought some HED Jet 6+ wheels. I started clobbering him on the descents. He was checking brakes, and even pulled his wheels apart checking bearings looking for drag. It took him about a month before he figured it out.

IMG_3444

2015 COR participant
  • 02-20-2018 9:15 PM In reply to

Ended up getting an R5 (2016/17 - the one with the red top tube, Ultegra 6800)! I thought this would be a more sensible upgrade (within the context of need/want, please), given my riding. So that's goiing to be my rocketship for now (with the new HED wheels).
  • 02-21-2018 10:51 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 326

Love to see pictures! Which HED wheels did you get?
    2015 COR participant
  • 02-21-2018 9:37 PM In reply to

I had the wheels custom built (HED Belgium + DT Swiss 350 + Sapim CX-Ray). Picking the bike and having the fitting done on Saturday - pics to follow.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.