in

Cav has an opinion on the S5 as 5 year old design?

Last post 03-08-2018 9:00 PM by Layback. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-20-2018 1:37 PM In reply to

Re: Cav has an opinion on the S5 as 5 year old design?

wrong thread, this one is not from the last Tour de France, this is a week or so ago when Cav did not win a sprint and complained that his S5 was a 5 year old design.

• 02-20-2018 2:31 PM In reply to

Naah, it's the right thread, I was replying to the gentleman who indicated he was a Cav fan until the Sagan incident. Sorry I didn't attach it to his comment properly. thanks much.
  • 02-20-2018 2:34 PM In reply to

But... while Im at it, Cav did insinuate strongly that there would be a new S5. Any gossip on that yet? I'm pretty sure I'd been in for one unless it drags out till fall. It's also true that his claim that his bike was out-gunned was off base. The current s5 is within a watt or two of the top bikes. It's not something a human could notice in a 1600w sprint. Or at any other time on the road.
  • 02-20-2018 2:44 PM In reply to

Thumper88 I have to totally agree with your comment: " The current s5 is within a watt or two of the top bikes. It's not something a human could notice in a 1600w sprint. Or at any other time on the road." and he has that ultra special ultra light paint job, that is probably worth, what, a couple of watts, if not a psychological edge ;-)

• 02-25-2018 7:32 PM In reply to

Thumper88:
    The outrage over that is mainly from Sagan being tossed, which Cav didn't do. And Sagan's "elbowing" him, which clearly never happened, along with Saga's disqualification have provided a lurid backdrop to a story that will forever be mistold because those two things got so much attention and distracted from the basic facts... What DID happen is that Sagan came off his line when Cavendish already had an overlap and squeezed Cav into the barrier. For that, Sagan should have been relegated for the day, nothing more. Frame by frame analysis from overhead shows Sagan drifted right while following the wheel in front of him, fair enough. But then they straighten (just briefly), and so Cav shoots into the clear hole on the right, and Sagan then comes off his line a second time. Frame by frame from the front, Cav's front wheel is just a couple inches from being even with Sagan's front wheel when contact is made. Sagan eased right that second time under a tree so the overhead isn 't perfect, but that shows just how quickly he veered right that second time. He goes under the tree traveling straight, with plenty of space on his right, and comes out of the tree angled right, over against the barrier with Cav going down. Sagan was mistreated by the race officials but he opened the door to that by riding dangerously at a point in the race where you can't just veer off your line without expecting to foul someone if not actually hurt them or you. Love the guy, in fact i'm a terrible fanboy....but he's not perfect.
    You're wrong. If you watch frame-by-frame, Cav tries to go into a hole that isn't there. He then goes into the barrier and his bars hook Sagan's forearm causing his elbow to come out. And yes, Cav is to blame for the whole thing. Not only did he cause the crash, instead of acting like a whiny little ***, he could have been an adult and come out and said that he made a mistake. Cav never owns anything, not even his lack of 6 watts, which is why he'll always be an immature little ***.
    2011 Cervélo RS - SRAM Red
    2014 Cervélo R3 - SRAM Red eTap
    2015 Felt F1X - SRAM Force CX1
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2017 BMC Fourstroke01 - Shimano XT
    2018 Raleigh RXS
  • 02-25-2018 7:54 PM In reply to

Naah, I’m right. The fact that Cav frequently IS an annoying whiner who has often jams his wheel up into places he shouldn’t doesn’t erase the facts. I have looked at all of the film. Not just that you mention. It happened as I described. Precisely.
  • 02-25-2018 9:09 PM In reply to

Nope. I'm right. But whatever let's you sleep at night. Keep the rubber side down. Cheers. ;-)
    2018 Raleigh RXS
  • 03-07-2018 9:47 AM In reply to

Actually, my entire job is forensics, built around observing, dissecting and analyzing events, and I can assure you that what I describe is accurate and precise. I came into this without any particular bias, which has a major factor in the way most people came down on it. The least rational are the ones who still believe Sagan threw an elbow, out of anger or otherwise. But, to each his own. Just happy both of them got through it OK. Sagan is the most interesting thing about pro cycling right now. Animates everything, and just a good spirit.
  • 03-07-2018 11:42 PM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 54

Yep. Agree. Cav's not a bad guy but does push into not so great spots when he makes his moves at times. Sometimes the choices turn out badly. Cav and Sagan had a racing accident. That kind of thing unfortunately happens in the heat of the competitive moment every once in a while. Sagan is a hoot to watch, seems not to take himself too seriously, is a committed athlete and is brilliant on a bike. Sagan is one of the best things that has happened to bicycle racing and cycling as a whole lately.
    2015 R2 fun (climbing and all around) bike, upgraded some to become just a hair lighter in 2016 (it was an orphan leftover at the LBS). Glad I picked it up.
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
  • 03-08-2018 9:00 PM In reply to

Thumper88:
    Actually, my entire job is forensics, built around observing, dissecting and analyzing events, and I can assure you that what I describe is accurate and precise. I came into this without any particular bias, which has a major factor in the way most people came down on it. The least rational are the ones who still believe Sagan threw an elbow, out of anger or otherwise. But, to each his own. Just happy both of them got through it OK. Sagan is the most interesting thing about pro cycling right now. Animates everything, and just a good spirit.
    You’re not very good at your job.
    2018 Raleigh RXS
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.