in

Cervelo R5 ride impressions

Last post 05-03-2018 4:08 AM by Xriss. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2018 6:37 PM

Cervelo R5 ride impressions

Just wanted to get people's impressions if they've ridden the new R5? What are your experiences (other than what's common in reviews ie, stiffer at the bottom bracket, descends really well)?  How does it climb?  One of my favorite bikes was the cervelo r5 sl. It seemed like you always wanted to go on that bike.  Do you get the same sensations? (People write about that sensation on a few reviews of the RCA and Ultimate EVO).  Would you upgrade it over the old R5? Currently debating between the R5 and ultimate evo as they are the same price point. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

S3 Di2 ultegra Reynolds assault
    R5 vwd Sram Force 22
  • 02-28-2018 5:19 PM In reply to

Re: Cervelo R5 ride impressions

I’ve had many R series and S series bikes... the new R5 is just wow.... I’ve just replaced a crashed 2016 R5 with it and the difference is night and day.... the 2016 was a great bike... but the 2018 R5 does everything better... the stiffness difference at the bottom bracket is the biggest noticeable difference.... it descends even better if that’s possible! And my first ride on it shaved 2minutes of two 25minute climbs here in the Adelaide hills... Only negatives are, the matte paint, I hate... and will be gloss clear coating it shortly.... and the ride is noticeable harsher than the old R5, but still so much more comfortable than my S series bikes.... hope that helps convince u to buy one! PS the new dura ace is very sweet too.... noticeable improvements over the 9070 series....
  • 03-06-2018 12:05 PM In reply to

Thanks Harry. The reviews I've read mention the great handling and descending capabilities. People don't mention the climbing as much as  and was wondering how it was.  I repainted my 2014 r5 to matte black so I am used to a matte paint job.  On an online video, Cervelo mentions it's build to handle the rigors of the pro tour. I am interpreting that as if you crash, it won't break in two.  So it sounds like a great handling bike, stiffer in the bottom bracket, and descends off the hook.   I am probably leaning towards one. Thanks for the impressions and if I get one, will post it on the pics thread.

R5 vwd Sram Force 22
  • 03-10-2018 11:48 AM In reply to

• Spencer
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-10-2013
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 86

Will be picking up my new R5d w/ Dura Ace Di2 this week, can't wait. Will report back after a few rides.
    2018 Cervelo R5 Disc Dura Ace Di2
    2016 BMC TM01 Ultegra Di2
  • 03-12-2018 3:26 PM In reply to

• levi
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-27-2010
    • Posts 373

No one mentioned the fit of the new geometry. It is a lot lower front end for sure. It looks good slammed.
  • 03-20-2018 3:45 PM In reply to

On a couple of sites, it references Cervelo saying you need to add a few spacers to get to the old R5 height. Can anyone advise how many cms or mm above where the fork and top of the frame meet would get you back to the old height? Would like to use that as a reference point to slowly see how low one can go.  Thanks. 

R5 vwd Sram Force 22
  • 03-20-2018 5:24 PM In reply to

The previous and new R Series generation share the same stack and each charts with the bb as reference point in their geometry tables .. there is no sign to need spacers .. the head tube is shorter because the fork crown got bigger/higher for layup optimization .. edit: the new R5 is indeed a little lower & longer variable on size ..
    ___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster, on my S5 ..
  • 03-20-2018 10:50 PM In reply to

• robg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2013
    • Vancouver BC
    • Posts 60

Size 58

2018 R3 stack and reach is identical to my 2013 R3, stack 605 reach 396.

2018 R5 stack 596 reach 399, a little lower and longer.

2018 S3 has same stack and reach as R3.

S5 stack 588, reach 401, a little lower and longer than R5.

2013 R3 58
    Open Up L
  • 03-21-2018 1:52 AM In reply to

___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster, on my S5 ..
  • 04-26-2018 12:41 PM In reply to

So I pulled the trigger on a new frameset, transferred parts over.  Will take pictures this weekend and try to post them (still haven't figured it out after all these years). Some interesting numbers, frameset weight with rear derauiller hanger, bottle cage bolts, and plastic parts for brakes and mechanical shifting on the bottom bracket was 800 grams for a 51 cm frame. On youtube,there's someone weighing the frame at 840? 850?. So frame weight minus parts in 765-770? Weight with components (sram etap, zipp ergo sl70 carbon bar, quarq elsa, bontrager Aeolus 3, conti gator skin tubulars, sram red aero brakes, ultegra cassette 11-30, ultegra chain) was 14 lbs (according to lbs).  Hopefully get a ride in this weekend.

R5 vwd Sram Force 22
  • 05-01-2018 10:11 AM In reply to

You should have waited a couple of weeks to make that R5 purchase.
    Cervelo has just released a special limited edition camo paint scheme for the R5's - similar to the one used prior to the R5 official release last year.

• 05-01-2018 12:12 PM In reply to

I actually like the black, white, and green. Happy with the color scheme.  Also, I hacked an etap blip shifter with a sprint shifter and placed it on the handlebar as separate climbing shifters. So far, it works on the stand. Will see how long it holds up. Wasn't a pretty job but soldered it, put some sealant and electrical tape around it. Will try to get some pics up at some point. Smaller than the sram blips. 

R5 vwd Sram Force 22
  • 05-02-2018 1:01 PM In reply to

• robg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2013
    • Vancouver BC
    • Posts 60

Lee Cooper:

You should have waited a couple of weeks to make that R5 purchase.
    Cervelo has just released a special limited edition camo paint scheme for the R5's - similar to the one used prior to the R5 official release last year.

Hi Lee, Where did you read about this, cannot find any info online about limited edition paint? Thanks, Rob
    2013 R3 58
    Open Up L
  • 05-02-2018 1:48 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 432

Just to confirm, what is the stem angle of that carbon stem that comes with the R5, +8*? Thanks
    2013 Cervelo R5 SRAM Red
    2017 Cervelo S5 SRAM eTap
    2018 Cervelo R5 Classics Edition Limited Frameset
  • 05-02-2018 2:03 PM In reply to

The notification was sent directly to the Cervelo dealers, there is very limited availability.
    I believe the Canadian allotment is only 10 frames per size and most of those available frames are already sold.  So contact your Cervelo retailer and ask them to check size availability.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.