in

Still riding a 2010 S2...Am I missing out?

Last post 07-30-2018 1:16 PM by peislc. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-29-2018 2:16 AM

• Manny
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-11-2009
    • London
    • Posts 134

Still riding a 2010 S2...Am I missing out?

As per title. Still riding a 2010 S2 built as following: 1) SRAM Red ‘old’ version 2) Zipp 303 Firecrest clinchers from 2017 I have been thinking about buying a new bike, perhaps an S5. Leaving the disc variable out of the equation, I was wondering how my frame handles compared to today’s standards. Am I missing out much?
  • 07-29-2018 10:05 PM In reply to

Re: Still riding a 2010 S2...Am I missing out?

I'm still riding an '09 S2 w full DA7900 and DA C24 wheels, and I'm beginning to ask myself the same thing but I think the answer is more complex than a simple yes or no: what's our perceived fitness level, racing yes/no, goals etc etc. I'm perfectly happy with my bike, it's as-new, but I find it extremely stiff for the horrible roads up here around Montreal (my backside's good for 2 hours before packing it in), and I must say I like the disc options on the new bikes. I think I may look into trying out an R3 and see where that goes, but likely only next year.
    --------------------------
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Top Fuel 9
  • 07-30-2018 9:56 AM In reply to

Sounds like we have the exact same set up - older Red group and FC303’s except mine is a 2009 S2. I’ve been asking myself the same question on and off for the past couple years too. Unfortunately for me to add I have to subtract a bike and for what I’ve put into the bike and what I can get for it I have a hard time justifying an upgrade that probably won’t make much of a difference to my actual riding performance. Truth is if I had the money to spare and my wife didn’t care I would for sure upgrade because who doesn’t want a new bike! So if you can why the hell not? Reality is my current S2 is still bike enough for me- may not be as cutting edge but I’m just an avid recreational rider now with an occasional race thrown in for fun. To your question if you’re missing much- I’d say probably some. When I got my SL4 I noticed a difference immediately regarding stiffness and handling compared to my R3 and S2. The good news is I don’t notice the difference when I’m riding my older Cervélos only when I’m on the SL4 haha. My R3 is 10 years old and I still love it, it’s set up “heavy” and still just 14.5 pounds with pedals and cages I don’t think I’ll ever sell it. I guess I’ll just convince myself it’s cool to be retro until I convince the wife I need a new bike! Good luck with your decision!
    2008 Cervelo R3
    2009 Cervelo S2
    2002 Cervelo Prodigy
    2014 S-Works Tarmac SL4
    2016 Specialized Diverge DSW
  • 07-30-2018 11:25 AM In reply to

my advice is got to you LBS and take an S3/ S2 for a spin and I think you will be impressed.  I found the S3 a very different bike in a number of ways to my older S2 (2014).  The seat stays do soak up road buzz and bumps, the headtube seems stiffer and the bike seems to steer better on descents than any Cervelo I have had before.. I just think it is a way better frame than the older S2 for at least these reasons and probably  few more if I really think about it.

• 07-30-2018 1:01 PM In reply to

• Kronan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2012
    • Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 300

Until my recent incident, I was rocking a 2012 S2. Sure, there have been improvements, but there is a reason that the S2 has been around and in pretty much the same form (it was originally the Soloist) for such a loooooong time. It might not have all the bells and whistles of the bleeding edge, but it is a good, solid, dependable frame. Unless you have a need, I'd say you're not giving *that* much up to a new frame.

That said, yes, there have been improvements. Tapered headtubes do have a nice impact on the steering. They have engineered in a little more comfort into the back end (our S2 variant was a solid racing frame...the modern S2/S3 has a bit more forgiveness in the rear...a bit more "Fondo-esque"). Materials continue to change and improve, as do layups. BB's...I'm of mixed thoughts on those....the press-fit ones do allow for more rigidity and strength, but they can also be a royal PITA to get done right and not have squeaks.

If you take a new one out for a spin, you'll notice the changes....but whether or not will spend to upgrade, well, that depends on you and your wallet ;)

'18 Bowan Palace:R (replacement frame for S2)
    '12 Cervelo S2 (frame in need of repair)
    '09 Knolly Delirium T (frame up custom)
    '?? Mercury road bike
    '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX (signed frame)
  • 07-30-2018 1:16 PM In reply to

I agree with Kronan, when I had my frame built up I specified a Wheels Mfg thread in type replacement for the BBright so that it was less likely to be a PITA.  So you have 2 similar opinions on the difference, I have had the S2 from back in the SLC days as well I have an S5 VWD version and I have to say I really like the S3, but if $ was the issue the S2 is the same frame but different fork.  According to Damon Rinard the S2 fork costs less to make and has nearly the same aerodynamics as the S3, not certain if there is any ride quality difference.  So if you are thinking of it then do a test ride and convince yourself.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.