in

cervelo r5 rim vs disc

Last post 01-01-2019 7:06 PM by wwwc9. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-13-2018 8:47 AM

• Hobbes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-14-2009
    • Posts 6

cervelo r5 rim vs disc

I've had the opportunity to ride both - the rim feels a bit snappier and simpler to maintain. The disc braking is smoother albeit with annoying occasional brake rub I can't do anything about on the fly. It seems more pronounced when riding in wet conditions. Looking to invest in a bike that won't be outdated with the times. I've always loved the R5 and will continue to ride it. Guessing this will be disc but any thoughts? The feel of the rim still feels better ride quality wise and simpler to maintain. Curious to see whether Sunbweb will be on disc or rim for the R5 - anybody have any insight? Thanks.
  • 12-14-2018 5:39 AM In reply to

Re: cervelo r5 rim vs disc

Why not get both? Frames on ebay for last years model are almost 40 percent off. If you had to go with one, guess it would depend on your riding needs. Building up a r5 disc and curious to see how it rides.
    S3 Di2 ultegra Reynolds assault
    R5 vwd Sram Force 22
  • 01-01-2019 7:06 PM In reply to

Re: cervelo r5 rim vs disc

I was able to take to take the disc out this weekend and get a couple of hours in. The rim does feel snappier, the disc feels more muted. On a really short and steep section, the bb felt very planted. The front end felt harsher and am going to decrease the air pressure of the tires and see if that makes a difference. New di2 (8070) shifters seem a little better but not the same feel as an etap. If I could have one bike, it would be the rim as I prefer the ride better and etap (May switch to etap hydraulic later). Also, in the summer, I go upstate where there are steeper climbs and I like the r5 rim as it feels lighter. So this wasn’t anything you didn’t know. Whatever you decide, I’m sure you’ll enjoy.
    S3 Di2 ultegra Reynolds assault
    R5 vwd Sram Force 22
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.