in

Di2 Installation frustration

Last post 02-21-2019 3:35 PM by jakes. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2019 4:14 PM

Di2 Installation frustration

I've been really surprised at how difficult it is to get good information regarding the correct parts (mostly wire lengths) to install Di2. I have a 2018 R3 disc, and plan to install either DA Di2 (9170) or Ultegra Di2 (8070), but don't want to spend even more $$ on trial and error for junction boxes and lengths of wire that I can't use. The Shimano web site is not helpful--their product descriptions are essentially non-existent. And retail sites (if they do have product descriptions) sometimes list a different use for the same part #. Curious about other's experiences and how you solved it. Its seems to me also that manufacturers could easily provide a parts # list (assuming they offer bikes with Di2). Thanks for reading.
  • 01-28-2019 4:23 AM In reply to

Re: Di2 Installation frustration

Hi BlancoR3 .. did you search there .. https://si.shimano.com/#/ .. for the needed information .. maybe in the technical documents .. (maybe) ..
    ___/\___/\___/\___ the surfboard of the Kurpfalz is the road bike .. oSo >> Older, and faster, on my S5 ..
  • 01-30-2019 10:04 PM In reply to

• m66
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2014
    • Posts 33

I've done a few installs for friends. I think the reason you're finding it difficult to find info is due to the custom nature of Di2 installs. There's lot of options as to where to mount the the junction boxes, where to place the battery, where the wires will enter the frame, and even how you plan on making the connections - ie running a wire from each shifter to the front box, or running a wire from one shifter to the other shifter and then one wire to the box. Then throw in different bar sizes, different frames sizes... The good news is that a little bit longer is okay - easy to tuck in extra wire. Typical install would be a pair of 350mm wires from shifters to front junction box under the stem, 1000mm wire from front box to rear box mounted inside the bb, 700mm from rear junction box to battery in the seat post, 500mm from rear junction to rear derailleur, and 300mm from rear junction to front derailleur. This is what I used on my teammate's 54cm Venge. Personally I would want the EW RS910 bar end junction box, but this would require a Di2 ready bar (or some drilling) and different length wires than the previous example. Or you could save the hassle of wiring and do eTap..that's what's on my S5 and I love it...
  • 02-21-2019 3:35 PM In reply to

• jakes
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2014
    • Posts 52

Hi BlancoR3,

Here are the lengths we use for the R5 DA Di2 for reference. It uses the handlebar / bar end junction A and seat post battery. As m66 said, there are many different configurations with Di2 but this should give you a good starting point :)

1x HB Harness A Junction, Handlebar Type

JUNCTION-A, EW-RS910, BUILT-IN TYPE, (BUILT-IN HANDLEBAR TYPE), E-TUBE PORT X2, CHARGING PORT X1

1x DT Harness Y-Split Rooting

Y-SPLIT ROOTING, EW-JC130-MM, E-TUBE CONNECTOR X3, CABLE LENGTH (L1:550MM, L2:50MM, L3:550MM)

1x Wire Connector E Wire Connecting Port

2 PORTS JUNCTION, EW-JC200, E-TUBE PORT X2

1x B Junction E Wire 4 Port Connector

JUNCTION-B, SM-JC41, FOR INTERNAL WIRE ROUTING FRAME

2x Electric wire (FD & ST) E wire 300mm

ELECTRIC WIRE, EW-SD50-I, FOR BUILT-IN ROUTING, 300MM BLACK

2x Electric wire (RD/ BAT) E wire 750mm

ELECTRIC WIRE, EW-SD50-I, FOR BUILT-IN ROUTING, 750MM BLACK

1x Electric Wire (DT) E wire 1200mm

ELECTRIC WIRE, EW-SD50-I, FOR BUILT-IN ROUTING, 1200MM BLACK

1x Internal battery Internal Di2 Battery

BATTERY, BT-DN110-1, BUILT-IN TYPE, W/RECYCLE MARK

1x In-line charger cable Charger for Internal Battery

BATTERY CHARGER, SM-BCR2, FOR SM-BTR2 INCLUDING CHARGING CORD FOR USB PORT

Jakub Macel
    Digital Communication Advocate
    Cervelo
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.