in

Leg Fatigue

Last post 05-16-2019 10:27 AM by cawright1375. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2019 11:45 AM

Leg Fatigue

This post may be better suited for a weight lifting blog, but thought I'd poll the gang here. I have been doing 2x per week leg days at the gym: one day heavy, one day endurance, for 3 months. "Leg day" means an hour long session focusing on all muscles in legs: deadlifts, squats, presses, lunges, single leg work, etc. Heavy means 5-8 reps at near max, and endurance means 8-20 reps at 75% of max. Legs are definitely getting stronger, progressively increasing weight and sets. I have gotten on a bike from 1-3 days post leg day and the results have been consistent: noticeably more fatigued than normal. Climbing requires an easier gear, legs shut down earlier when pushing on flats. As cycling season is about to hit full stride, I want to be as fresh as possible for 50-100 miles rides (my normal from last year). Do I need to scale back gym work to perform better/longer on bike? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
  • 05-16-2019 10:27 AM In reply to

Re: Leg Fatigue

If I were you, I'd get rid of the single leg exercises and focus on the exercises that are working both legs at the same time - squats & leg presses. Lunges are okay because if performed properly you are working a lot of muscle groups at once. Also, forget about the strength training aspect and work solely on endurance. Per Vinnie Tortorich, for the last few years I have done 6 sets at half the weight I used to do. So for instance, I went from doing 3 sets of 500lb leg presses to 6 sets of 250. Vinnie is a Tulane Educated exercise physiology expert and at the forefront of the LCHF lifestyle movement with his NSNG approach. He also is/ was an endurace cyclist and rode the Furnace Creek 508 bike race a few times and raced MTB in the 90s. The other area to focus on is your core, because without a stable platform for your legs to push off of you won't get the maximum out of your body. Tom Danielson's book has several levels of workouts and they are tough. That is my .02
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.