in

Hex wrench recommendation wanted

Last post 11-09-2019 10:54 AM by Lloyd Deane. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-07-2019 1:27 PM

Hex wrench recommendation wanted

Hi all, I was tired of using ill-fitting hex wrenches and recently bought an expensive set of Wera Hex-Plus. I was disappointed to discover that they too don't seem to fit very well. The Wera tools along with all the others I've used seem to be too loose fitting. That is, there appears to be too much play in the bolt-tool interface. I'm dealing with what I assume are standard hex bolts (for the bike industry) some of which came with my 2012 Cervélo R5 VWD (e.g., 3T) and others from high profile manufacturers whose parts I used to build the bike (e.g., Ritchey, Easton, Shimano). My questions are: 1) should I expect all hex bolts from the brands noted above to be manufactured to the same spec? 2) should I expect hex keys to fit more snuggly within the bolts, or am I labouring under a false assumption? 3) is there a brand that is known for their good fit (i.e., tighter fit) with 'standard' size bike hex bolts? Thanks in advance for your contributions. Cheers, Lloyd
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.

~H. G. Wells
  • 11-09-2019 9:02 AM In reply to

• goodboyr
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Thornhill, Ontario
    • Posts 973

Re: Hex wrench recommendation wanted

This review has a table of sizes and it concludes the Bondhus ones are oversized compared to Wera and my favourites the PbSwiss. https://www.bikeradar.com/features/allen-keys-everything-you-need-to-know/
    Bobbo
    2015 COR
    '06 R3, Fully Internal Dura Ace 7970, Zipp 303FC Clinchers
    S5 Team, Ultegra Di2, Zipp 101
    RCA 56cm, Dura Ace 9070, Zipp 404 FC Tubbies

• 11-09-2019 10:54 AM In reply to

Re: Hex wrench recommendation wanted

Thank you, it's an excellent article. Bondhus seems to be the way to go in terms of specs, quality, and based on additional research, price as well.
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.

~H. G. Wells
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.