in

Please help - alloy (aluminum?) cable cap stuck in carbon cable stop

Last post 03-10-2020 3:56 PM by Lloyd. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-02-2020 2:04 PM

• Lloyd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-22-2007
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 63

Please help - alloy (aluminum?) cable cap stuck in carbon cable stop

I don't know the technical names of parts, so pls bear with me. First of all, we're dealing with a 2012 R5 VWD frame. I have a cap that fits over the end of my rear brake housing that slots into the cable stop that's incorporated into the frame towards the rear of the top tube. That cap is made of some sort of alloy, or is aluminum, and it's stuck firmly in the carbon cable stop. It's really stuck in there, and I fear this is dreaded aluminum/carbon bonding issue I've read about. I'm really afraid of ruining my frame if i start yanking on it with any degree of force. How do i deal with this? Hoping for some good advice on how to remove it without damaging my frame. Anxiously, Lloyd
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.

~H. G. Wells
  • 03-03-2020 12:44 PM In reply to

Re: Please help - alloy (aluminum?) cable cap stuck in carbon cable stop

Maybe put a piece of ice on it to see if the aluminum contracts and breaks free. Or use some penetrating oil. Or both? I've not had that problem before and I have no idea if either of these techniques will work. I did have an aluminum stem bond to the inside of a steel fork and after using both of the techniques above it freed up. Good luck.
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 03-03-2020 5:57 PM In reply to

• Lloyd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-22-2007
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 63

Thanks. I'm going to try something called Gumout Freeze Out Super Penetrant. It's supposed to rapidly lower the temperature of metal parts. Someone on YouTube tested a similar product and showed rapid cooling down to 0 degrees, which is supposed to fracture the corrosion and loosen the part. I'll report back as soon asap. Cheers, Lloyd
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.

~H. G. Wells
  • 03-06-2020 7:17 PM In reply to

• Lloyd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-22-2007
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 63

The 'Gumout Freeze Out Super Penetrant' ($14.95 @ Canadian Tire) turned out to be a dud. Promised a lot, delivered nothing. However I'm pleased to report I got the damn thing out, without damaging my baby. After a great deal of thought, I split the ferrule with a sharp, hard blade by gently tapping with a small hammer. From there I used small flathead screwdrivers from an electronic repair kit to pry the metal from the inside of the cable stop. Once I had pried most of it away, I was able to tap it out. Whew. Lessons learned: - avoid aluminum ferrules, use plastic or stainless steel - lubricate the inside of your cable stops - grease your ferrules! - freezing galvanic corrosion may work in some cases, but don't count on it - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

~H. G. Wells
  • 03-10-2020 12:15 PM In reply to

I'm sure that took nerves of steel! Thanks for the update and advice.
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 03-10-2020 3:56 PM In reply to

• Lloyd
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-22-2007
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Posts 63

I was so anxious about doing the 'surgery', it actually kept me up a couple of nights thinking it through. But sooo satisfying when I was finally able to tap it loose without a scratch on the R5 :-D

~H. G. Wells
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.