in

Possible wrong size

Last post 05-23-2020 9:43 AM by Alphasports. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-08-2020 7:11 PM

Possible wrong size

I went in to LBS to try a few saddles and while I was on my bike so he look look at my posture he said the geometry of this bike is not right for you. I have a 2014 R5 56cm and got me thinking should I be in a 54? I ma 5’11 with 32’ inseam. I did do a bike fit but it was after I got the bike so now I am wondering if I should move to a smaller frame or a different brand that would have geometry suited to my build and riding style. I am by no means a strong rider, more of a weekend warrior so I am now struggling with the fact maybe this is too much of a bike for me. Anyone else buy a bike only to realize this doesn’t suit my abilities? Obviously bikes have gotten even more technical sine this model so that would be a positive but trying to figure out what this bike is worth and going through the process of selling it would be a headache.
  • 05-11-2020 8:50 PM In reply to

Re: Possible wrong size

Without knowing all the details, my initial reaction is you should potentially invest $300 in a new bike fit as opposed to $3000+ on a new bike. Unless you have already cut the steerer tube, the 2014 R5 does allow for quite a bit of adjusting. You can raise/lower your stack, raise/lower seat tube, move saddle front/back, change angle of saddle. You can try an offset/non-offset seatpost, you can experiment with different length and angle stems. A good fitter will test everything, and once you are comfortable with posture, he/she will then try a variety of saddles. I have spent $ twice on professional fittings and both times the results were way more valuable than a new set of wheels or component upgrade. I was with the fitter for 3+ hours each time and we went through a ton of minute tweaks until I felt dialed in. You say you already got fit. Were you happy and comfortable on the bike after that fitting? Also, there's no such thing as too much bike. Riding should make you happy. You have a top-level machine in the R5. Most of us will never be good enough to max out or bike's potential, it doesn't matter.
  • 05-18-2020 6:17 PM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Moved from Southern Maine to Florida
    • Posts 61

I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and ride bikes sized from my Cervelo R2 51cm to a Ridley Noah 54cm. I have to say that the Ridley is at the top of the scale size wise for me, but I did get a fitting when I bought it and it has turned out to be nearly as comfortable as my smaller and less aggressive R2. Then again, bike frames from different manufacturers can be quite different even though marked the same size, since there's no standard set for size that I know of. There should be plenty of adjustment in your R5. Saddle positions, Stem length/angle, Drop Bar depth/width. You can even try different length cranks if that might help. Unless it's just a case of a too aggressive (or actually just too large a frame) for the type of riding you do or your flexibility limits, give a good pro fitter a shot at it. If the bike still isn't comfortable for you, then by all means go through the process of selling your R5 and find a bike that fits and makes riding the fun activity it should be. There are so many different geometries out there now, that it's not that hard to find a bike that matches and fits you near perfection. And by the way, unless a cyclist rides professionally or intensely trains all the time, as was said in the post above, most of us will never come close to maxing out the performance capabilities of a good modern bike like your R5.
    2015 R2 fun (climbing and all around) bike, upgraded some to become just a hair lighter in 2016 (it was an orphan leftover at the LBS). Glad I picked it up.
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
    Step 3: Ultegra R8000 Groupset
    Step 4: Super bike status. It's my go to for most rides.
  • 05-20-2020 9:26 PM In reply to

Take your bike to your bike fitter and s/he should be able to make the r5 work or come close to your set up needs, that can be going with a different stem, handlebars, etc. the 2014 r5 will have a higher head tube for more upright riding. Cervelo also has a shorter reach than say trek or specialized so it may work. If you got fitted, you should know your saddle to center stem measurement, handlebar to seat, or other to name a few. Let your fitter tell you it won’t work because of x,y,z. I’ve heard whoppers from several lbs. for example, the s3 was designed in such a manner that it couldn’t shift properly with Q-rings. Funny how another bike store was able to get it to shift just fine, I got fitted at fit Werx and the 300 investment has been well worth it. Enjoy the frame, it’s a good frame and you can get plenty of miles and riding with it. Good luck.
    S3 Di2 ultegra Reynolds assault
    R5 vwd Sram Force 22
  • 05-21-2020 6:28 PM In reply to

I appreciate the advice and thoughts and everyone is absolutely correct that as a recreational rider, I will never get the maximum out of this bike. Having said that, since I had the bike fit done after I bought the bike lot can change and has changed in a few years like body composition (polite way of saying weight increase). I have made a appointment with a local physical therapy place that do bike fits and make recommendations on posture and bike bio mechanics. He is very well respected locally and nationally so I am hoping this will certainly help me enjoy the bike a lot more. Some back information on how I got to this point. When I bought the bike I rode a lot, avg 40-50 mile rides 3-4 times a week. However I took a nasty fall coming down a hill when it was wet and I went from a 28-30mph to a dead stop. I cracked my helmet in 2 pieces but bike survived and ever since its been hard to get back on. This winter I kept looking at the bike sitting downstairs in our workout room thinking this bike is way too pretty for it to be collecting dust. I need to get out and ride this thing so that is what I have started to do. I changed the stem and OEM saddle few weeks back but still need to dial it in as I know I can ride more miles but always want to stop around 35 mile mark due to soreness. Also now I am very weary on downhills and start riding the brakes around 22mph which kind of sucks but anything faster and I feel like I am out of control. I am hoping once the bike fit is done I can get my confidence back and control the bike better.
  • 05-23-2020 8:33 AM In reply to

Good luck with the fit and on descents, I self talk to remind myself to stay relaxed, don’t death grip, and breathe. I’m pretty sure it’s in my head versus something mechanic (except for the time someone forgot to tighten the steerer bolt lol). I actually find it more stable to sit on the top tube then in th saddle for descents. Good luck getting back into things and enjoy the ride.
    S3 Di2 ultegra Reynolds assault
    R5 vwd Sram Force 22
  • 05-23-2020 9:43 AM In reply to

I am the same size/inseam as you, same general riding prefs, and bought a NOS 2014 R3 last year @ size 56, had it fitted (albeit not a $300 pro fit, more the "pay and get the bike out the door" version) and other than the normal adjustments all I had to do was swap for a short stem. In fact to fit me the seat is quite high (5" exposed seat tube), and I have several spacers in the stem, like 2' worth, so it's not like my 56 is set to minimums, I think a 54 would be on the small side. IMO at our height/reach either a 54 or 56 can be made to fit. Let me know if you want pics/measurements. Cheers
    --------------------------
    Cervelo R3
    Trek Top Fuel 9
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.