in

Anybody had experience/ opinion on Neuvations wheels?

Last post 05-06-2009 9:17 AM by sanford214. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-25-2009 6:37 AM

Anybody had experience/ opinion on Neuvations wheels?

I was looking at the Neuvation wheels website and they have insane prices on their wheels and they seem to have good weights so what is the general opinion of the experts here?

If they are as good as they say which is the best model, actual ownership experience would be the best vs a trial by a bike magazine review.

I current ride a pair of Ksryiums SSCs probably 5 years old and they are bullet proof, and I like them alot but at some point I will have to replace.....

thanks all.

• 04-25-2009 7:45 AM In reply to

Re: Anybody had experience/ opinion on Neuvations wheels?

I have a set of the R28 Aero4s. Absolutely love them, especially for the price. Spin up well, fairly light (1600ish grams) and I think they look pretty cool. LB
  • 04-25-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

• sam
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-08-2007
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 835

You will hear some good reviews on this forum, there are several people who have used them and like them.  I dont care for them myself, I work on some with problems, and for the small number of them floating around are area it makes me think that it is a high percentage.  There are to many other wheels with a solid reputation in my opinion to consider them

Sam
    Peloton Cyclery
    www.pelotoncyclery.com
  • 04-25-2009 9:35 PM In reply to

• jdais
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Long Island, NY
    • Posts 737

• 04-25-2009 11:26 PM In reply to

A riding buddy has a set and only really uses them to race on, so they have very low mileage on them and he recently had to have them trued.  It is my feeling that a carefully built wheel will not need any attention with so little use.  I have had hand built wheels go 10,000 miles with out needing to ever be trued.   I would and have paid more for what I feel is a better quality wheel that holds up better longer.  For example I bought a pair of Williams 30s last year and so far have about 4000 miles on them and they are as perfect as the day I took them out of the box.  Yes they cost more but are still quite a bargain. 

• 04-26-2009 2:13 AM In reply to

• Ed_B
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-01-2009
    • San Diego
    • Posts 53

I love my R28 Aero4s. They are a great wheelset that I've used mainly for Crits and longer days in the saddle. There are about 10 riders in my club that ride Neuvation wheels and I don't know of any troubles concerning them. Highly reccomend them.

eD

2009 RS

• 04-26-2009 12:07 PM In reply to

I have several thousand miles on a pair of M28 Standards, which are still out-of-the-box true, and have never had to have the hubs serviced. (I'm 195 lbs). I don't have personal experience with the higher end models in the line, so can't comment on them, but here are a few other opinions:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/neuvation-cycling/MPR_12881crx.aspx

http://www.testrider.com/fly.aspx?layout=player&video=9

• 04-26-2009 9:44 PM In reply to

Neuvation Wheels have in general quality control issues.  Search forums and you will always read a 60/40 split  on happy/sad owners of these wheels.

Alarm bells!!!

• 04-27-2009 3:21 AM In reply to

AeroSlave:

Search forums and you will always read a 60/40 split  on happy/sad owners of these wheels.

IMO, the math is way off. (I've read many more positive reviews than negative). But the advice is spot on. Do some searches. I recommend you throw out any reviews that are not first hand. As with many product reviews, it seems there are lots of opinions out there from folks who've never tried them.

• 04-27-2009 11:13 AM In reply to

R28 Aero 2's, +12,000 miles and still straight, true, and spin as the day I bought them.  Awesome wheelset. I will never consider anything else.

• 04-27-2009 3:01 PM In reply to

I agree the math is off as well....no way it's 60/40...more like 90/10.  Any time you read reviews remember angry people are way more vocal than satisfied customers. 

Neuvation's model makes sense.  Low overhead, virtually no ad budget, and one employee.  How cheap would Mavic's be if the payroll dropped to one & they didn't advertise!?  There's no magic formula to building products overseas.  You design the product, negotiate with a factory to build it, import, and sell.  John Neugent has simply taken on all these steps 100% on his own using his experience in the business.  Good for him!

Neuvation is on my short list for my next wheels.  The only negative is you can't really hold & ride the wheels before your purchase.  The graphics are pretty weak, but the stickers are easily and cleanly removed from what I've read.   

I'd say go for it.....take the money you save and spend it on traveling to ride those nice wheels!

2008 56cm R3
    Sram Red
    3T cockpit
    2005 Zipp 404 tubulars
  • 04-27-2009 7:14 PM In reply to

I got a pair of M28 Areo 2 for my training wheels. Still true after 3000km. I did make it rub my rear brakes going up a steep hill once. I like my HED Bastogne better, but for what I paid for them, you can't beat them. I would recommend Neuvations to my riding buddies.
  • 04-27-2009 8:01 PM In reply to

I too am not sure of the math, however I don't have any conclusive evidence to counter it. When I did finally pull the trigger on wheels it was after hours of extensive online research, I think I read every review out there. Yes, there were some QA issues a few years ago with some wheelsets. What company out there produces perfect products 100% of the time? What did win me over was the company's willingness to correct issues, immediately, without question. In the rare occasion someone did have an issue John bent over backwards to correct it, and in the end almost all reviewers who had issues were satisfied customers. I really like my Neuvations. If money were not an issue I'd be running something flashier on something higher end than my SLT, but it is. I think they offer an exceptional wheelset at an exceptional price. LB
  • 04-27-2009 8:19 PM In reply to

• mudrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Finger Lakes NY
    • Posts 701

I had a pair of R28s, standard spokes, that I got Fall '07 for $300 with a $60 upgrade to ceramic bearings. After a few hundred miles one of the bearings started leaking (the bearings were aftermarket, not Neuvations) so I replaced it with one of the standards. John had popped in the ceramics for me before he shipped, and included the original ones and the press tool to pull them. He was great to deal with. Besides the bearing the wheels were great, held true with no problem. The only problem is I'm a bike snob and wish they had said Mavic or Zipp on the side.

Alex
  • 05-06-2009 9:17 AM In reply to

I have about 3,000 miles on a set of M28 Aeros with the enduro ceramic bearing upgrade.  No problems what so ever.  I'm big (240 lbs) and really punish wheels.  These are the first wheels I've ridden that have been able to stand up to the punishment of riding on all types of roads in all sorts of conditions without major issues.  I did break a couple of spokes at one time when I crashed into a immovable object (long story!), but John sent me some new ones within a couple of days and after replacing the broken/bent spokes and truing up the wheel I was back in business.  Not the lightest around, but for a training wheel or good all-around general riding wheel they are a great buy.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.