in

Toronto bike shops and fits

Last post 09-23-2010 5:00 PM by ian379. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-20-2010 7:27 PM

• dkane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • Guelph, ON
    • Posts 12

Toronto bike shops and fits

Hi folks, Thanks to the eride at the Centurion this weekend in Blue Mountain, I've decided to put a purchase of a new bike from another company on hold until the 2011 line is released as the new RS may fit into my budget and have SRAM. If that's the case, I'll be looking for a bike shop since there is not one in my town (Guelph, On). I'm not into brow beating a dealer to save a few bucks but I would like to get a quality bike fit included with the purchase. Does anyone have any experience with GTA shops with regard to this? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Darrell
  • 09-20-2010 9:11 PM In reply to

Re: Toronto bike shops and fits

Enduro sport is the best fitters in town. They charge an arm and a leg for it but they are the best.They aren't the best when it comes down to bike stuff however. They know a great deal, but other bike specific stores will have a much broader product knowledge.

Wheels of Bloor is another excellent choice. They know their stuff cold, but they are not all that great when it comes to fitting. They also have the lowest prices come end of season. 

I also live in Guelph. 

• 09-20-2010 9:24 PM In reply to

If you are in Guelph, Neworld Cycle in Burlington is probably the closest.  Good group of guys there and they have the full line in stock

http://neworldcycle.com/

TrainingPeaks Athlete Ambassasor | Team NEO
    ICEdot Athlete | Team Vega Athlete
  • 09-21-2010 11:44 AM In reply to

• dkane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • Guelph, ON
    • Posts 12

Thanks. Have you had a fit done by them?

• 09-21-2010 11:46 AM In reply to

• dkane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • Guelph, ON
    • Posts 12

andrewm:

Enduro sport is the best fitters in town. They charge an arm and a leg for it but they are the best.They aren't the best when it comes down to bike stuff however. They know a great deal, but other bike specific stores will have a much broader product knowledge.

Wheels of Bloor is another excellent choice. They know their stuff cold, but they are not all that great when it comes to fitting. They also have the lowest prices come end of season. 

I also live in Guelph. 

Thanks. I know what bike I want so, honestly, having a good quality fit included with the purchase is much more important to me at this point. 

• 09-21-2010 6:33 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2008
    • Atlantic Canada
    • Posts 748

dkane:

[ ... having a good quality fit included with the purchase is much more important to me at this point. 

You should be aware that a "free" or "complimentary" bike fit might not be as extensive as one that you pay for consequently you have to decide what kind of bike fit that you want. There can be significant variability (and price) in what is done in a bike fit. Somewhere in the Cervelo forum discussion, Sam has described what he does in a bike fitting, in his shop. You can get a sense of the differences in bike fitting by looking at the description of bike fit at http://gearsbikeshop.com/ which is located in Mississauga. Also, Endurosport on its website describes 2 levels of bike fit. The chances of obtaining a "good quality fit" are better at those shops that specialize in bike fitting. These shops will advertise and describe what it is that they do when performing a bike fit service.

• 09-22-2010 2:11 AM In reply to

• Jasann
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 497

andrewm:

I also live in Guelph. 

Bought my Cervelo at Wheels of Bloor. Was very happy with the fitting and price. Owner custom fit crank, stem, handlebars and seat post. Spent almost an hour on fitting and bike fits like a glove. Also live in Guelph area. Enduro is good as well, but I prefer Wheels of Bloor (especially after Enduro installed my chain catcher backwards).

• 09-22-2010 6:03 PM In reply to

• dkane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • Guelph, ON
    • Posts 12

Don:
    dkane:

[ ... having a good quality fit included with the purchase is much more important to me at this point. 

You should be aware that a "free" or "complimentary" bike fit might not be as extensive as one that you pay for consequently you have to decide what kind of bike fit that you want. There can be significant variability (and price) in what is done in a bike fit. Somewhere in the Cervelo forum discussion, Sam has described what he does in a bike fitting, in his shop. You can get a sense of the differences in bike fitting by looking at the description of bike fit at http://gearsbikeshop.com/ which is located in Mississauga. Also, Endurosport on its website describes 2 levels of bike fit. The chances of obtaining a "good quality fit" are better at those shops that specialize in bike fitting. These shops will advertise and describe what it is that they do when performing a bike fit service.

Thanks for the reply, Don. I'm going to see what they include when they sell a bike. If they included the basic ft but you can get the more advanced fit for a discounted rate, i would be fine with that. Where I buy this bike is not going to be my LBS and since reading this forum, Cervelo dealers do not discount the msrp that much, so I'm trying to look at other factors to see when to spend my money.
  • 09-22-2010 6:11 PM In reply to

• dkane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • Guelph, ON
    • Posts 12

I've been in that store a few times (Wheels of Bloor) and I've always felt like an outsider, like i am bothering them. The staff was hundled at the back, they look at you when you walk in and that was about it. I read some comments from cyclists on here who really like them but I'm not a hard core racer typer... i bike for fitness and for duathlons so i tend to think I'm too pedestrian for them. I may check them out to see if they will be getting any of the RS eRide demo bikes with Red now that the eRide season is over. I would think you could get a good deal on them. If not, I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed for the 2011 RS.
  • 09-22-2010 11:50 PM In reply to

• BTR43
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-26-2008
    • Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA
    • Posts 54

I agree with rbuike, Newworld Cycle is a good place to check out. I found them a great group to deal with--knowledgeable staff, good service, good selection and good mechanics.

• 09-23-2010 9:54 AM In reply to

My vote goes to Enduro.

I made a very expensive mistake on my first bike by buying one size up.  I went to three stores (all in Mississauga) and they all told me that based on my inseam, there is NO WAY I can fit into a 58.  I bought a 61 thinking that it is the right size for over a year.  Then, I had the opportunity to ride a 58 and I felt sooo much more comfortable and not overstretched. 

So, I went to couple of bike stores and see how they would size me.  Enduro and La Bicicletta (Heath) and they both sized me at 58.  La Bicicletta has A LOT more selections than Enduro so I ended up buying my bike there. 

I witnessed a bike fit at Wheels of Bloor and I wasn't impressed.  The staff seems to be just wanting to move the bikes out of the store.

• 09-23-2010 10:17 AM In reply to

dkane:
    I've been in that store a few times (Wheels of Bloor) and I've always felt like an outsider, like i am bothering them.

Gee dkane, I thought that only I had that opinion of Wheels of Bloor. For that reason, I've bought both my Cervelos at Enduro Sport. They gave me a perfect fit for my Soloist. However, as they cater primarily to Triathletes, they are not quite up to fitting to UCI rules. My P2C fitter even told me that he rarely saw anyone being fitted except triathletes. I had to remind him about the various required positionings. I have been in Newworld Cycle several times and will probably buy my next Cervelo there. (For maintenance I always take by bikes to Gears in Mississauga; who hands down, they have the best mechanics around the GTA (ask for Andrew).)

2005 black Soloist Team, full Dura-Ace, Mavic Ksyrium SL
    2009 UCI compliant P2C, ZIPP Vuka base and aero bars, full Ultegra, ZIPP 404
  • 09-23-2010 5:00 PM In reply to

• ian379
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2008
    • Posts 2

I purchased by S1 at Wheels of Bloor and did not get much of a fit done post purchase.  It seemed very rushed and very arbitrary.  They did throw in some free accessories with the purchase though so that was good!  You could try a London store.  The current Cervelo store is Multisport Zone (more of a triathlon store but handle road bikes as well).

They seem to be very knowledgeable about bike fit and I'm sure it is included in the purchase of a bike.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.