in

Cervelo vs Trek

Last post 11-04-2013 8:00 PM by JustKeepPedaling. 42 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-03-2013 10:52 PM In reply to

Re: Cervelo vs Trek

The new Madones still have a LOT more drag than the S5. If you truly are concerned about crosswinds, the new S3 will absolutely smash the Madone. Even the RCA shape is much better than the shaping on the Madone, integrated brakes or not.
  • 11-04-2013 12:09 AM In reply to

Actually a more apples-to-apples comparison would be between a Trek Madone and a Cervelo R3/R5. And your anecdotal story is anything but scientific as there are numerous factors which affect speed for a given power output.

Sure Trek makes fine bikes and they do some innovative stuff, but I think we are all grown up enough to make our own bike buying decisions. Glad you're happy with your purchase!

2012 R3 SRAM Force 22, Kinlin XR31T rims on WI hubs, Rotor 3D+
  • 11-04-2013 7:11 AM In reply to

A1234:
    I rode an S5 for three years. I live in a flat and very windy environment, while the S5 might have a slight advantage in a head wind to the Trek Madone it cannot handle worth anything in a cross wind. I now ride a Trek Madone 5.5 and find myself pushing faster speeds at the same wattage I was pushing with my S5. I would attribute this to Trek's R&D which in this conversation has seemed to be over looked. Trek has military grade carbon fiber and hand built frame in Waterloo Wisconsin compared to the outsourced S5 whihc is built in China. While Cervelo's 2013 S5 is actually decreasing in aerodynamics from 2012 to 2013 the new Trek Madone's are coming out with new integrated breaks and virtual cam-tail to allow for better aerodynamics in head winds and cross winds.

+1 on whoever it was that corrected your claim as to the country of origin for the 5.5.  My uncle owns a Trek store and he told me way back in 2011, when I was in the process of looking/ dealing with an insurance company that the 6 series and higher are the only ones built in Wisconsin still.

And I'd put forth that it is less the S5 & crosswinds and more your handling skills.  New England has some nasty wind in the fall & spring and I've never had a problem aside form a decrease in speed.

I could've gotten a wicked good deal due to my family connection when I was in the market for a new ride on a 6 series Madone.  I opted to go Cervelo and I doubt there is nothing that Trek will do to make me ever want to go back.  I like that at mass participation or even local club group rides, my bike stands out from the glut of Trek, Giant & Specialized.

Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 11-04-2013 9:42 AM In reply to

stanseven:

Actually I don't see it as silly.  The OP was told by his LBS to try the Trek and wanted feedback.  Several people who owned/rode both explained the differences and a couple commented that the Madone 5.2 was closer to the Cervelo RS.

I currently have a 2009 Trek Madone 5.2 H2 in my possession that I have been riding for about a week now after tweaking in my fit. I can admit that both the RS and Madone 5.2 (H2) are very close in handling and comfort but can honestly say that my RS is more stable in descending most likely due to the difference in the fort rake and slightly higher head tube while climbing, the Madone wins most likely due to the beefy BB and more rigid frame. Flats, I would have to say there is little difference other than the Madone being more responsive (twitchy). I didn't think anything could rival my RS (after coming off of Cannondale super-six and synapse) but I now have a little more respect for the Trek Madone. I think the OP needs to consider two items here. The S2 is an aero and stiff frame while the Madone comes in two flavors in geometry the H1 and H2 (the difference in head tube length). The "pro" configured Madone has a smaller length head tube (H1) for faster steering response that I would assume it to be similar to the S2 geometry. Finally, as others have said, fit is very important and I would like to add that mental fit is also important. If you had your heart set on a Cervelo (and it fits) get it or you might be sorry later on when some Trek hater scoffs at you.
    2010 RS SRAM RED
    2009 Trek Madone 5.2 H2 Ultegra
    2008 Giant Trance X0 XTR
  • 11-04-2013 10:11 AM In reply to

My guess is A1234 may be trolling - this is a thread from 2011.
    Road: 2006 Lynskey Level 4 Road, Zipp 303 with PT, Ultegra Di2
    Road: 2012 Cervelo S2, Zipp 404 with PT, Ultegra
    Cyclocross: 2010 Stevens Team Ultegra Cyclocross
    Travel: 2012 Ritchey Breakaway, 105
    Commuter/Tourer: 2014 Salsa Vaya 2, 105
    MTB: 2001 Giant XTC NRS1
  • 11-04-2013 11:37 AM In reply to

elapid:
    My guess is A1234 may be trolling - this is a thread from 2011.

I concur.  His comment read as being a bit too put together.  But to each there own.

Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 11-04-2013 11:49 AM In reply to

• A1234
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-04-2013
    • Posts 2

And what do you have to say about the Chinese that built your out sourced Cervelo?
  • 11-04-2013 11:58 AM In reply to

A1234:
    And what do you have to say about the Chinese that built your out sourced Cervelo?
    I have no facts that would support that they would make an inferior product. What do you have to say. Also, please address my pervious post.
    6.6kg Foil
    6.8kg S2
    8.84kg S1
    Speed Concept (7 frame w/ SRAM Red and 3T Brezza ltd (slammed with 20mm riser)
  • 11-04-2013 12:11 PM In reply to

The majority of the pro peloton ride chinese bikes. There's nothing wrong with them. Who's to say the guys at Waterloo can make a great bike...is Waterloo, Wisconsin some sort of mecca of carbon fiber experts? No, they are employees that were trained to do a task. Are people in Detroit amazing car builders compared to the builders in Japan? Steinway, the gold standard in pianos are built in a factory in Queens with workers who are not musicians...in fact, they are just union furniture builders. And they do a great job, building the world's finest pianos. Would I prefer to have a clunky GE television compared to a slick Samsung TV? Essentially all of Apple's products are made in China. If you can't stand the fact that Chinese build your bike, get the RCA. Handmade in California. :) Oh, btw, the OCLV, "military grade" carbon that Trek uses is now being used in China to build the lesser grade Madones My wife rides a Madone (unfortunately we can't afford the Waterloo version) and it's a fantastic bike. I ride an S2 and it's a fantastic bike. Too bad neither of us have the legs to truly maximize the potential of either bike.
  • 11-04-2013 12:38 PM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 269

A1234:
    Don't feed the troll
  • 11-04-2013 12:49 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 436

dsongalong:
    The majority of the pro peloton ride chinese bikes. There's nothing wrong with them. Who's to say the guys at Waterloo can make a great bike...is Waterloo, Wisconsin some sort of mecca of carbon fiber experts? No, they are employees that were trained to do a task. Are people in Detroit amazing car builders compared to the builders in Japan? Steinway, the gold standard in pianos are built in a factory in Queens with workers who are not musicians...in fact, they are just union furniture builders. And they do a great job, building the world's finest pianos. Would I prefer to have a clunky GE television compared to a slick Samsung TV? Essentially all of Apple's products are made in China. If you can't stand the fact that Chinese build your bike, get the RCA. Handmade in California. :) Oh, btw, the OCLV, "military grade" carbon that Trek uses is now being used in China to build the lesser grade Madones My wife rides a Madone (unfortunately we can't afford the Waterloo version) and it's a fantastic bike. I ride an S2 and it's a fantastic bike. Too bad neither of us have the legs to truly maximize the potential of either bike.

From my understanding:

I don't think the OCLV carbon that is used in the 5 series and below is considered "military grade" carbon fiber. The 6/7 series use OCLV2 which Trek consider as "military grade".

From Trek website:

300 Series OCLV - A great carbon at an amazing price. 300 Series OCLV is a smooth-riding, intermediate-modulus material, which proves that performance and affordability don't have to be mutually exclusive.

400 Series OCLV - Ultra high performance, within reach. The areal weight range and modulus mix of 400 Series OCLV provides an exhilarating sense of acceleration and confident handling.

500 Series OCLV - The best mix of materials available outside of North America. Light, strong, stiff, and perfectly suited to the sophisticated frame technologies that distinguish Trek frames.

600 Series OCLV - Advanced aerospace materials and weight-saving, performance-enhancing processes such as Step Joint technology provide the best frame weight/stiffness combinations in the industry.

700 Series OCLV - The lightest, strongest carbon lay-up in the cycling world, built from military grade materials available only in NATO countries. 700 Series OCLV is the ultimate combination of superior modulus and superior strength, and it's only from Trek.

There have been news articles where the Chinese tried to smuggle carbon fiber from the US for their military jets etc. It wouldn't surprise me that Trek manufactures carbon fiber to the US military contractors like Boeing/Lockheed etc for their jet fighters.

I'll assume that A1234's Madone 5.5 is an older one because the 5 series is made in Asia.

Anyways, I have both a Madone 6 and S5 both are good bikes.

2013 Cervelo R5 SRAM Red
    2017 Cervelo S5 SRAM eTap
    2018 Cervelo R5 Classics Edition Limited Frameset
  • 11-04-2013 7:40 PM In reply to

• TheBull
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-07-2010
    • Boston, Mass. USA
    • Posts 97

My Madone is every bit as good as either of my Cervelos. And that's taking nothing away from them. But a top of the line Madone is as good as it gets especially when paired with Zipps and full DA Di2. I'll give up my girlfriend before I give up my Madone. And my girlfriend knows it.
    2011 Trek Madone (Project One) 6-Series DA Di2 Zipp 404s
    2009 R3 (Sold)
    2009 S3 Olympic Edition (Sold)
  • 11-04-2013 8:00 PM In reply to

Not compared to a RCA IMO... Not even close
Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.