in

Question about Ryder's R5ca set up

Last post 01-31-2012 12:15 PM by GT1. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-29-2012 11:48 PM

Question about Ryder's R5ca set up

What kind of top cover on his headset is this?  Or is he using one at all? http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2011/05/14/photo-gallery-ryder-hesjedals-cervelo-r5ca

• 01-30-2012 12:29 AM In reply to

• outhere
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2010
    • Probably out riding
    • Posts 151

Re: Question about Ryder's R5ca set up

It looks as though the headset bearing cap was removed. 

I speculate the following: the R5ca (and other current Cervelo R series) has a long head tube when compared to most other road bikes used by top professionals.  In order to cancel out the extra high rider position caused by the long head tube, Hesjedal uses a -17 degree stem and removes anything that would add additional height to his bars.  For this reason, even the bearing cap is removed.

• 01-30-2012 6:06 AM In reply to

You can see in the fourth pic in the link above, there's nothing but bearing under that stem. This is fine if you have an endless (well, more endless than most of us) supply of bearings and a mechanic to clean and lube after every ride.
  • 01-30-2012 7:09 AM In reply to

• webmaster
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2007
    • Mount Livingroom, Toronto, ON - Canada
    • Posts 188

If you look very closely at the first picture you will see the top cap is the standard Cervelo top cap with the words Cervelo following the outline of the cap opposite of each other.

Matt.
    webmaster@cervelo.com
    www.cervelo.com
  • 01-30-2012 9:05 AM In reply to

• outhere
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2010
    • Probably out riding
    • Posts 151

webmaster,

C'mon, you know the OP is not talking about the top cap that is above the stem.  He or she is referring to the lack of anything covering the top headset bearing. 

• 01-30-2012 12:27 PM In reply to

This is one example of how the revised frame geometry is not as versatile as the older geometry. The headtubes are very tall and may not work for many people in their regular frame size. Couple this with the shorter top tubes and the current generation of Cervelo's will not fit riders the same way the older generation frames would. Loosely speaking, the old frames were long and low and the new ones are short and tall. What I find curious is that Cervelo stated the same thing regarding fit for both generations of frame geometry but in practice this can fundamentally change frame sizing for some people.
  • 01-30-2012 2:23 PM In reply to

• outhere
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2010
    • Probably out riding
    • Posts 151

I suspect that Cervelo changed its geometry in order to fit a wider swath of the riding public.  Thus, notwithstanding having earlier positioned itself as making mostly "racing" bikes (and I use the term "racing" loosely), Cervelo now builds bikes that allow for a more upright, less aerodynamic body position.  For Cervelo's sponsored racers, the new geometry forces set ups like Hesjedal's.  Even though it has fundementally changed the geometry of its frames, Cervelo must still market its bikes' geometry as being the best.  It can hardly expect better sales if its marketing message is: "while our new geometry is not as [fast/aero/etc.] as our old geometry, it is still the best racing bike geometry around."

• 01-30-2012 6:05 PM In reply to

....not as versatile? I am fairly certain that Ryder and perhaps Tom D are the only Garmin riders (but will need to verify) who were riding with this sort of extreme position, which means that every other pro rider on the team was able to fit on the new geo frames, regardless if they had to fit -17 degree stems on the frame. Add the fact that the new geo fits a wider swath of weekend warrior consumers and I would call that very versatile. EM3
  • 01-30-2012 6:18 PM In reply to

• webmaster
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2007
    • Mount Livingroom, Toronto, ON - Canada
    • Posts 188

Sorry, my bad. Looking at my R5ca it may very be the AER headset from Cane Creek with basically no cover, or, it is with the cover and it isn't very visible because of the 3T stem. I can see the cover on mine but then I am using an Extralite stem which has a much thinner wall than the 3T.

Matt.
    webmaster@cervelo.com
    www.cervelo.com
  • 01-30-2012 8:30 PM In reply to

• Arne
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2009
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 92

Ryder's bike did not have a headset spacer cover when I saw his bike at the Montreal race last summer.

2011 Grand Prix Cycliste Montreal

2016 S2 etap
    2013 R3 red
    2013 T1 legs
    2011 S3 DA7900
    2010 P2 DA7900 mix
    2008 Rancilio Silvia & Rocky
  • 01-30-2012 9:45 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies.  I figured he wasn't running any cover between the stem and top bearing.  I was just wondering if there was any ultra thin covers out there.  I can't seem to find one.  His position on the bike is extreme.  It looks like he just stole the bike.  I agree IMHO Cervelo should have stayed with the original head tube lenght on the R series bikes.  I don't see the problem with running a 5 or 10 mm spacer and a stem tha rises up if thats what you need.  I already run a -17 3t stem and am trying to eek out every last mm if posible.

• 01-30-2012 10:25 PM In reply to

• outhere
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2010
    • Probably out riding
    • Posts 151

CobraDriver,

You might want to try the Carbon Fiber IH Dust Shield manufactured and sold by Veloflyte.  Here is a link to the website: http://www.veloflyte.com/carbon_fiber_integrated_headset_upper_dust_shield

I don't have the dust shied but I have purcahsed other carbon creations from Veloflyte and have always been satisfied.

• 01-30-2012 11:54 PM In reply to

outhere, thanks for the info. I think I'll order one. 

• 01-31-2012 2:52 AM In reply to

crazy drop
    2007 SLC Sold
    2008 R3 Di2 Calfee internally wired SOLD
    2012 Crumpton SL Di2
    2014 Crumpton Type 5 Di2
    2015 Berk Di2
  • 01-31-2012 10:04 AM In reply to

eddymerckx3:
    ....not as versatile? I am fairly certain that Ryder and perhaps Tom D are the only Garmin riders (but will need to verify) who were riding with this sort of extreme position, which means that every other pro rider on the team was able to fit on the new geo frames, regardless if they had to fit -17 degree stems on the frame. Add the fact that the new geo fits a wider swath of weekend warrior consumers and I would call that very versatile. EM3
    Yes, in some cases not as versatile and in others it may be more versatile. The shorter top tube/reach can easily be accounted for with stem length but the taller head tubes present a problem if you need to get lower. If the swath as you call it of riders that this works for represents the bulk of the riding public then fine but alternatively I ride with plenty of weekend warriors/racers that run their stem right on top of the bearing cover with the older "R" and "S" bikes and some who need spacers and a higher rise stem. The angle I'm coming from is that the geometry of the new frames, especially the taller head tubes may not fit as wide a range as was previously possible. This is all variable though and I have no doubt that counter points can and will abound and I really think there is validity either way but it can be influenced by the demographic of riders we know or see on the road, in print, or on TV.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.