in

SRAM S900 crankset and FSA BBright press-fit bottom bracket: Do they play well together?

Last post 07-19-2012 2:57 PM by rmerka. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2012 3:00 PM

SRAM S900 crankset and FSA BBright press-fit bottom bracket: Do they play well together?

Anyone know if any special washers or spacers are needed when installing the SRAM S900 crankset with the FSA press-fit 30 bottom bracket? If anyone is riding this combination, what are your impressions?
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.

~H. G. Wells
  • 04-21-2012 5:46 PM In reply to

Re: SRAM S900 crankset and FSA BBright press-fit bottom bracket: Do they play well together?

Same as with the SRAM PressFIt bottom bracket.

Right side: All the BB's sealing parts (I think there's a gray plastic "washer" designed to mate with the rubber seal in the black plastic cup), then the crank's ~11mm spacer.  Nothing else on the right side.

Left side: All the BB's sealing parts, plus the crank's wave washer and as many thin (often clear plastic) spacers as necessary to get the wave compressed but not flat wen the crank bolt is fully torqued. I usually have to take it apart a few times to get the number of spacers right.

• 04-22-2012 11:51 AM In reply to

Re: SRAM S900 crankset and FSA BBright press-fit bottom bracket: Do they play well together?

d_1234:

Same as with the SRAM PressFIt bottom bracket.

Right side: All the BB's sealing parts (I think there's a gray plastic "washer" designed to mate with the rubber seal in the black plastic cup), then the crank's ~11mm spacer.  Nothing else on the right side.

Left side: All the BB's sealing parts, plus the crank's wave washer and as many thin (often clear plastic) spacers as necessary to get the wave compressed but not flat wen the crank bolt is fully torqued. I usually have to take it apart a few times to get the number of spacers right.

When you say "the crank's" ~11mm spacer, wave washer, spacers. Does this mean these should be included with my S900 crankset? I'm concerned because I bought the crankset new, but it didn't come with any of those bits.
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.

~H. G. Wells
  • 04-22-2012 5:51 PM In reply to

Yep. Get in touch with your crank's seller.

Oops, I was wrong: Only the ~11mm spacer should come with the SRAM crank. If you don't have it, then any number of "BB30" spacers that add up to about 11mm will also work. If you're off a millimeter or so either direction, then (1) you'll affect chain line (normally no serious consequences, just adjust your FD) and (2) you'll find you need to install a compensating amount (more or fewer) of thin spacers on the left to get the wave washer compressed (but not flat).

The wave washer and clear spacers have been coming with the SRAM pressfit bottom brackets, but I don't know whether they also should come with an FSA pressfit bottom bracket. But these are common parts, often not needed in various bb configurations, so most bike shops should have plenty of spares you could buy cheap (or get for free if they like you).

• 04-22-2012 6:16 PM In reply to

Thank you d_1234, that's very helpful. Interesting though that the spacer wasn't included, but as you say, my LBS is a Cervelo dealer and should have the necessary parts. Cheers, Lloyd

~H. G. Wells
  • 07-19-2012 10:51 AM In reply to

I am building a S5 and using a Dura Ace crank.  What is the best solution? I see that the stock S5 VWD Di2 uses SRAM PressFit BBright™, is that the way to go?

I now see that the VWD Di2 uses a Rotax crank so it does not address my question, I do not seem to have the option to delete.

• 07-19-2012 11:36 AM In reply to

v70cat:

I am building a S5 and using a Dura Ace crank.  What is the best solution? I see that the stock S5 VWD Di2 uses SRAM PressFit BBright™, is that the way to go?

I now see that the VWD Di2 uses a Rotax crank so it does not address my question, I do not seem to have the option to delete.

Here you go...

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=BB+Right+Shimano+Adapter%2DBottom+Bracket&vendorCode=CERVELO&major=1&minor=6

• 07-19-2012 11:43 AM In reply to

Yes that would work but I also see the following:

1) Enduro BBRight To GXP BB Adapter http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=1&minor=6

2) Wheels Adapter http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom...no-cranks.html

3)http://shop.praxis-works.com/BB30-PF30-Conversion-Kit_c7.htm

Which is better?

• 07-19-2012 1:50 PM In reply to

v70cat:

Yes that would work but I also see the following:

1) Enduro BBRight To GXP BB Adapter http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=1&minor=6

2) Wheels Adapter http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom...no-cranks.html

3)http://shop.praxis-works.com/BB30-PF30-Conversion-Kit_c7.htm

Which is better?

1) Shimano cranks are not designed around Sram's GXP standard.  What does that mean?  Shimano cranks have a spindle/axle that is 24mm drive side and non-drive side, while Sram tapers from 24mm to 22mm.  So, I would assume that #1 does not work because the adapters have different diameters on both sides.

2) This one works, but consider that you first need to have the PressFit bottom bracket installed, then these adapters go pressed into the PressFit BB taking up the remainig space necessary for your crank to be installed.  These are made out of Delrin, which is essentially a very strong thermoplastic.

3) This solution would be nice,  however, if you read the description, it is meant for a 68mm wide frame shell.  Your S5 is designed around the BBright standard which is 79mm wide, so I don't know if both sides connect through the middle tube section considering you need an extra 11mm.  In any case, you have to remember that BBright is an asymmetrical design, so all other adapters are always wider on the drive side so you are able to reach proper chainline.  This BB from Praxis appears to have identical widths on the outside cartridges where the bearings are housed.  If this is the case, you are likely going to have to add some sort of spacer to the drive side in order to move the crank outward enough for proper chainline.  Just give Praxis a call and they'll let you know whether it is compatible with BBright... but I believe this option will not work.

So, which is better?  I don't really know, but I believe the BBright Shimano adapter makes more sense since it is one single bottom bracket/adapter assembly that is fitted on the frame.  The only thing that is not available with the BBright Shimano adapter is a ceramic option, but someone on this forum managed to buy the ceramic bearings and swap them using the proper tools.  The Wheels Mfg. adapters still requires you to install a PressFit BB into your S5 frame, then add these adapters to take up the remaining space required for the crank assembly.  More pressed parts, more chances for stuff to be out of tolerance, more chances for stuff to creak and/or potentially have the slightest play.  Perhaps others will have an idea about what is better...

• 07-19-2012 2:57 PM In reply to

• rmerka
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2012
    • Texas Hill Country
    • Posts 1,421

Hutch:
    The only thing that is not available with the BBright Shimano adapter is a ceramic option, but someone on this forum managed to buy the ceramic bearings and swap them using the proper tools.

I have a Rotor crank so no need for adapters.  I used the Rotor aluminum cups, loctite'd them in.  I screwed up the bearings that were in there with too many spacers (really stupid but I learned my $$$$ lesson).  I pulled just the bearings out with a blind bearing puller and replaced them with the Enduro XD-15 BB30 bearings.  I took that little white plastic ring off the back and pressed the outer races in by themselves.  I never put the retainer back on so now I can service (clean and lube) the bearings with a simple crank pull.  I'm really happy with this setup and it is unbelievably smooth and noise free and I don't ever have to bang on the BB again which always gave me the creeps.  I agree with Hutch on the one-piece.  Fewer things to cause problems or noises.

2012 R5
    2012 S5
    2014 S3 My son's bike now!
    My Ti bike

Had a fantastic time at --> COR!!!
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.