in

R3 - Project

Last post 05-17-2017 3:35 AM by fabeyee. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2013 8:23 AM

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

R3 - Project

Very nice forum! I’ve been reading several posts and I found here really amazing bikes.

Today, I got my 2012 R3 Team frameset and this is my first post. I come from the vintage&classic bikes, but I always loved Cervélo. So, I’ll try to build my own bike and I’ll share it with you, hoping you can pass me some of your knowledge.

For start, as soon as I have money for that, I’ll choose a groupset: I have in mind Sram Red maybe with a Rotor crankset. Then, bars, stem and seatpost will be 3T (still don’t know which models). And I don’t have any idea about the wheelset, which will be my last decision. I hope I can have the bike ready to ride in the next 4-5 months.

Regards
  • 01-31-2013 9:20 PM In reply to

Re: R3 - Project

Welcome to the forum. Beautiful project! You'll love your R3. It's very different from vintage bikes, in a good way. Funny, in the steel frame days, most bikes (looking back now) had very similar performance. Now with carbon, aluminum, etc. it's possible for some bikes to be better... and some bikes worse(!) than vintage bikes.
  • 02-04-2013 9:22 AM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Hey, thanks for the encouragement.

I do agree with you regarding the steel bikes. We should open here a post with pictures of our vintage bikes. What about Cervélo vintage bikes, can we talk about that?

Today , I'm going to have a look to the Sram Red black edition group. I'm trying to get a price discount.

• 02-04-2013 2:27 PM In reply to

Not vintage bikes in general, but Cervelo vintage bikes are a good theme for the Cervelo forum.

I've been noticing more vintage Cervelo info on cervelo's web site under the Support section.

http://cervelo.com/en/support/products.html

Cervelo One, Dual or Renaissance anyone?

• 02-04-2013 3:43 PM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

I like the Renaissance with its slim tubes and horizontal top tube! By the way, does Cervélo explain the reason why adopted sloping top tubes?

• 03-17-2013 5:24 PM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Now I have the money and the time to spend with my R3 bike build. For now, I want to buy the groupset. I'd like a Cervélo R3 team bike, I mean a standard Garmin team build (I have other road bikes, but I want this one by the book). I've seen pro riders bikes with Dura Ace and Sram Red. Which one would fit better a Garmin team build? I've always seen Rotor cranksets, but I don't know if there's a base model. Do you know if I can get the last Garmins' R3s (2011-2012) specifications (of all components)? Thanks for your help.
  • 03-18-2013 6:08 AM In reply to

Great project, what size is it?

**Just seen the 56 sticker.

cheers

Pete

• 03-18-2013 6:39 AM In reply to

Congrats on your new bike/project. I admire your patience (waiting/building the bike for months before you can ride it...) Now to your question - IMHO since these are NOT a showroom bike, you should look for group-set, wheels, saddle etc. that fit YOU and YOUR riding style and preferences. Many teams in the Pro peloton choose their components (and bikes) based on sponsorship agreements (hence Garmin Sharp using Mavic wheels for example). Since you will be riding the bike, I think it is important the bike and it's componants fit you (and your budget) and not someone who rides for a pro team (e.g. and what if you built the bike with SRAM group and MAVIC wheels only to find out Garmin SHARP struck a deal with SHIMANO?) Happy building...
    2009 S2, SRAM Rival, 50/34 Rotor Q-Rings, Mavic Ksyrium SLs 7.2Kg
  • 03-18-2013 2:45 PM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Ralph1:

Great project, what size is it?

**Just seen the 56 sticker.

That's it, Pete.
  • 03-18-2013 3:12 PM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

WildeOne:
    Congrats on your new bike/project. I admire your patience (waiting/building the bike for months before you can ride it...) Now to your question - IMHO since these are NOT a showroom bike, you should look for group-set, wheels, saddle etc. that fit YOU and YOUR riding style and preferences. Many teams in the Pro peloton choose their components (and bikes) based on sponsorship agreements (hence Garmin Sharp using Mavic wheels for example). Since you will be riding the bike, I think it is important the bike and it's componants fit you (and your budget) and not someone who rides for a pro team (e.g. and what if you built the bike with SRAM group and MAVIC wheels only to find out Garmin SHARP struck a deal with SHIMANO?) Happy building...
    That’s not about patience; it’s a question of money… I wish I could have it ready! I understand what you mean and I agree the bike must fit my preferences (I have SRAM and SHIMANO in other bikes, and I’m fine with both). And I’ll try to stick to that. However, I’d like to build a 2011 or 2012 R3 Garmin team bike. I want to keep it with me for many years, as a pro team bike of these days.
  • 04-04-2013 6:49 AM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

I'll get a Sram Red black edition for my R3. I still don't know if I'll buy the 2012 or the 2013 groupset. It will depend on the price. Is there any main difference between these groupsets? Has anyone experienced both? Thanks.
  • 04-04-2013 9:09 AM In reply to

• jdais
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Long Island, NY
    • Posts 736

• 04-04-2013 12:04 PM In reply to

Stem:
    I'll get a Sram Red black edition for my R3. I still don't know if I'll buy the 2012 or the 2013 groupset. It will depend on the price. Is there any main difference between these groupsets? Has anyone experienced both? Thanks.

There are only a few Sram crankset moldes that will fit BBright without the need for adapters.  One is the BB30 S900/S950(compact) or the latest BB30 S951 found on '13 Cannondales...the others are any BB30 Quarq power meters, to include the older S975 and the newer '12/'13 Red Quarq (hidden bolt crankarm design). 

All Sram GXP cranks will work with either the Enduro or Wheels Mfg. adapters.  No Sram BB30 crank, for the exception of the ones listed above will fit because the spindle length is too short... they are built as true BB30 cranks for a 68mm wide BB shell with the narrower q-factor which was one of the original design features

Here is another thread that goes into this topic: http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/10333.aspx

See the chart below from the BBright website which goes into more detail as to what cranksets are compatible from most manufacturers...

• 04-04-2013 12:09 PM In reply to

• davidg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-27-2012
    • Las Vegas
    • Posts 55

I had 2011 Sram Red on my old bike and while I liked it, on my current R3 I have the new 2012 yaw red and like it much better. If you are looking at SRAM Red, I would save up the difference and go with the new red. I picked up a crankset on ebay off a 2013 cannondale. The S951 off the new EVO Red bikes is a bb30 compact set with the new yaw red chainrings.
    -2012 Cervelo R3
  • 04-09-2013 3:39 PM In reply to

• Stem
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-30-2013
    • Posts 49

Thanks a lot for your help.

Let me ask you if you can tell me which Dura-Ace groupset is this one? Here're some photos of the 2012 Tour of Flandres:

Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.