in

2013 S5 Rear Wheel Rubbing

Last post 05-10-2017 4:07 PM by Arnfinn. 69 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-29-2013 7:15 PM In reply to

Re: 2013 S5 Rear Wheel Rubbing

Just did my first century with my new rear 700x20 tyre with a total of 1817 meters elevation gain. Just suffered also my first flat tyre in more than two years. I thought it was a pinched flat but turns out caused by a puncture. Despite the unfortunate flat tyre, my cheap solution to rear tyre rubbing is still a-ok. No discomfort despite the 700x20 tyre.
    Road

2014 Cannondale CAAD10 6870 Di2 with SLS2 Cranks
    2013 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 6870 Di2 wtih Dura-ace Cranks & Calipers
    2012 Cervelo S5 SR11 Rotor 3DF

MTB
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced SL 1
  • 08-02-2013 10:53 PM In reply to

Update as of 8-2-13. Dealer just called and said cervelo sent new frame.
  • 08-12-2013 9:54 AM In reply to

• T-Hud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-12-2013
    • Posts 5

This is sad news for me as well.  I just recently order the S5 Team and was looking to add Zipp 404's with the Continental 4000's.  I'm worried now because I weight 215 and do some extensive long distance riding.  I'm wondering now if I really need to stop the order and re-order another bike due to the many discussion shown in this forum?  Any thoughts, and/or what would you recommend as it relate to the best combination of wheelset/tires?  T-Hud

• 08-12-2013 10:27 AM In reply to

T-Hud:

This is sad news for me as well.  I just recently order the S5 Team and was looking to add Zipp 404's with the Continental 4000's.  I'm worried now because I weight 215 and do some extensive long distance riding.  I'm wondering now if I really need to stop the order and re-order another bike due to the many discussion shown in this forum?  Any thoughts, and/or what would you recommend as it relate to the best combination of wheelset/tires?  T-Hud

T-Hud, it is an issue with some frames, but you shouldn't be discouraged by it from buying your S5 Team bike.  What I would recommend is to test, document, test, document.  What I mean by that is... have your LBS test the bike on the stand with whatever wheelsets they have available at the shop, preferably with different tires.  Let's say they can't do that for you in terms of wheelsets, at least bring your Conti GP4000S tires and mount them on the Fulcrum wheels your bike comes with and test on the stand on an a test ride.  Document what you notice, and ensure the LBS does as well, this way there is a record of your initial findings.  Look at it this way, if it looks very tight on the stand, you can bet it will be even tighter and likely rub on the road where the rear triangle will flex under your weight.

Zipp 404s Firecrests are excellent wheels... I own 303s FC and love them, plenty of my friends own 404s and claim they are excellent wheels for most of their riding, for the exception of the steepest climbs and/or the super windy days we have here in SoCal.  BTW, the GP4000s tires are certainly a bit taller than some tires out there when at full inflation, so it will be something to keep an eye on as soon as you switch wheels and tires on your S5. Great all-around tires no question. Keep in mind though, there are equally well balanced tires out there just like Conti from other brands.

If your LBS does initial documenting and you come back to the shop with some rubbing issues whether with the spec'd wheelset or whatever you buy next, it will be a smoother process to submit a warranty claim with Cervelo.  If shown to be a legitimate manufacturing defect, the frame is very likey to be replaced by the good folks at Cervelo.  Test, document, test, document. :  )

• 08-12-2013 10:40 AM In reply to

• T-Hud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-12-2013
    • Posts 5

Thanks Hutch!

I really needed to know that before investing a tone of money into the wheels/tires.  Again, the bike is on order, but I have not ordered the wheels just yet.  I'm in Houston, TX and our rodes consist mainly of flats, unless riding towards the hill country to Austin and San Antonio.  We do get our share of head/cross winds here and was my reasoning for wanting to purchase some better aero wheels.  So if not the continental tires then what other tubular tire are recommended, because we get so much debris on the roads here that I really hate having to repair flats on a regular basis?

• 08-12-2013 10:52 AM In reply to

T-Hud:

Thanks Hutch!

I really needed to know that before investing a tone of money into the wheels/tires.  Again, the bike is on order, but I have not ordered the wheels just yet.  I'm in Houston, TX and our roads consist mainly of flats, unless riding towards the hill country to Austin and San Antonio.  We do get our share of head/cross winds here and was my reasoning for wanting to purchase some better aero wheels.  So if not the continental tires then what other tubular tire are recommended, because we get so much debris on the roads here that I really hate having to repair flats on a regular basis?

No problem... however, if we are talking tires, what I suggest is not to stay on this thread... instead, use the SEARCH on the top right of the forum page and look for an existing thread that looks interesting and just make an entry there.  You are likely to get more responses there and the thread will stay on point...

That being said check out this recently published material about tires on Slowtwitch... PART 1 , PART 2 , PART 3 

• 08-12-2013 11:44 AM In reply to

Received my new frame from Cervelo this weekend at Bay Area Schwinn in Pasadena, Texas. The latest set of tires that I was running on the OLD frame and still on the NEW frame are the Vittoria Radiale 700X22 and work with NO problems. With this set-up, the NEW frame has more clearance by 2mm from the OLD frame. They must have some variance in the molding process. I'm happy with these tires and also the Specialized Turbo 700X23 tires on my Zipp 404's so I won't worry with the Grand Prix 4000S problem.

• 08-12-2013 11:50 AM In reply to

• T-Hud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-12-2013
    • Posts 5

Great news!  So, I will do the test as Hutch mentioned to see if I encounter the same problem minus the Conti 4000 S

• 08-12-2013 12:14 PM In reply to

I have run a 404 Firecrest CC on my S5 with Continental 4000s tires with no problem. I have also run non-firecrest tubular 404's with Continentals on the S5 with no problem. I think how tight it fits it will just be about the variance in your frame, but generally these wheels and tires do fit in the S5. If you check it out as as Hutch mentioned you'll be fine.
  • 08-12-2013 12:26 PM In reply to

This is great advice. However, from a consumer perspective it would be good to know what Cervelo say about what wheel width and depth parameters the S5 was *designed * for. If the design is supposed to support 25mm and your frame ends up rubbing then it seems logical that this would tell you that the frame you have is out of spec and worthy of a replacement. It seems to me that a lot of us are dealing with having bought S5s that are outside some design tolerances that mean the 25mm tires don't get enough clearance. I've dropped from 25mm to 23mm and still get rubbing and I'm working with my local bike shop to hear back from whether or not I can get a new frame. As a customer buying a product that presumably has gone through a QA process I'm surprised that so many frames are being allowed out into the consumer wild that clearly would fail the quality inspection (just check every frame with a 25mm tire?). Perhaps the lesson for Cervelo here is to adapt their post-manufacture checks before åccepting the frame as sale-ready? The fact that Cervelo are silently replacing frames does indeed suggest that they are recognising some issues with manufacture and kudos to the folks on this thread for being so helpful to each other to try and not only work around these flaws but also provide a lot of data to Cervelo to help them in the future. I love my S5 even with the challenges i've had trying to stop the rubbing and I'm sure that the next S5 manufacture will benefit from all the data we've shared with Cervelo so i'm hopeful we'll all benefit in the long run - both Cervelo and the Cervelo consumer community. Fingers cross my frame gets replaced....
  • 08-12-2013 12:36 PM In reply to

• rmerka
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-19-2012
    • Texas Hill Country
    • Posts 1,421

Hutch:
    Test, document, test, document

Best advice ever on new bike purchases!  It's soooo easy to be over excited when you're picking up your new bike not to thoroughly inspect it.  There's been more than one user on the forum that has been angry about a defect or whatever that they didn't notice on delivery only to find out about it after the fact.  Take a camera to the shop and document it all if you're at all concerned.  Taking a bunch of photos slows the adrenaline and you can then look at the bike objectively and then decide if you want to accept it.

@ T-Hud you'll love the S5, I rode my S5 in the BPMS150 year before last when we had those nasty headwinds and it was blessing to be a tad more aero.  FWIW I had 404 nonFC with 4000s' on it and it has plenty of clearance.

2012 R5
    2012 S5
    2014 S3 My son's bike now!
    My Ti bike

Had a fantastic time at --> COR!!!
  • 08-12-2013 1:33 PM In reply to

T-Hud, when I got my S5 in 2011, two months off the bike and some emotional rollercoaster stress eating saw my weight in excess of 220.  I have 404s on the bike with Michelin Pro3s (now Pro4s) and I've not had a problem with the rear wheel or tire rubbing.  The only time I've had an issue was through my own fault and not setting the rear wheel in correctly and have it off center, etc.

Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 08-12-2013 3:19 PM In reply to

• T-Hud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-12-2013
    • Posts 5

All, Thank you much for the warnings, recommendations, and most importantly, providing a much need answer to my questions and concerns.  I plan to test, document, test, and document again prior to leaving the dealer.  Now, I guess I'll work on finding and ordering the wheels/tires.  Thanks again for the much needed help.  This forum is a much needed help and I do plan to continue to stay here watching, listening, and providing feedback as well.

• 08-12-2013 10:52 PM In reply to

I have a 2013 S5 purchased in March. I'm running Conti 4000S tires on 303FC wheels. I experience tire rubbing every time I get into any kind of sand or gravel. Even riding in the rain produces a squeegee sound as the water tries to squeeze through. I love my Conti tires as they handle well and are very puncture resistant. However, I will check the wear on the frame at end of season with my LBS. Very uneasy about this design issue.
    2007 R3 - Sold March 2013
    2013 S5 - Picked up March 2013
    2014 R5 - Picked up March 2014
  • 08-26-2013 12:55 PM In reply to

Just a FYI. I took my 2012 S5 Team in because of a wear spot from wheel rubbing. (2012 404 FC and GP4000s 23s). Cervelo told my dealer that its not a warranty issue and that I should use a smaller tire. Disappointing.
Page 4 of 5 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.