in

Front tire rubbing fork - new RS

Last post 01-05-2010 12:15 PM by sam. 42 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2008 2:01 PM

Front tire rubbing fork - new RS

I have my new RS built and I love it!!!  One thing I have noticed (which is extremely minor) is that the front tire will BARELY rub the top arch of the fork when you spin it.  It only touches off at one place on the tire.....at first I thought it was the brakes rubbing as I could barely hear the rub when pedaling real slow.  I would not say it would actually affect anything, but wondering if anyone else has noticed the tight clearance between the tire and fork.  It has the tires that came on the  bike and the fork that came on the bike - 3T Pro.

• 05-26-2008 3:33 PM In reply to

• BTR43
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-26-2008
    • Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA
    • Posts 54

Re: Front tire rubbing fork - new RS

I have a stock RS with 3T Pro forks, Shimano RS10 wheels and Vittoria Diamante Pro Lite Slick tires. I have about 1 mm clearance between the tire and the top of the forks - no rubbing at all.

• 05-26-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

Yeah....I got about 1mm clearance also.  I think it was that I was running about 120psig.  I loosened the skewer and re-tightened and now running 130psig, Now no rub.....
  • 05-28-2008 9:54 PM In reply to

I went for another ride today and the front tire (stock) still touches off on the fork once every revolution.  I am running 135psig with stock tires/wheels/fork.  I weigh about 195lbs and can't believe that it is normal for a tire to touch the carbon fork, especially when the tire gets wet and dirty.  It does not appear to be any 'significant' bulge in the tire.  I loosened and re-tightened skewer and even flipped wheel around and the tire still touches off once every revolution.  Not enough to actually cause any significant friction but it is makes a sound similar to if a brake pad was rubbing...what's up with that!?
  • 05-28-2008 9:57 PM In reply to

It sounds like your wheel is not radially true. Take it back to the shop and ask them to retrue it. That should eliminate the rubbing in one spot. Running tires at 130psi would seem to be at the high end. It must really be noticeable compared to 100psi. 

• 05-28-2008 11:11 PM In reply to

The Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks on my RS are rated to run between 130 - 160 psi. I run them in the middle at 145. I don't experience any rubbing on my fork.

• 05-29-2008 8:38 AM In reply to

Thanks...I emailed the shop and will take it in on Friday.  I checked and a 23C tire I have on my old bike would probably solve the problem, but I think the shop needs to check the new wheel.  Thanks!

• 05-29-2008 12:16 PM In reply to

Wow, I have the new 3T fork and mine appears to have overly generous clearance w/ a Zipp rim and 20c tire.  I realize a 23c would close the gap some, but I had to lower the brake pads to reach the rim compared to the old Reynolds fork they were mounted on (using the same wheel), so it's definitely not just the tire.  I'm pretty close to the limit of the brake reach on both front & rear, so it doesn't appear to be just an odd coincidence w/ my particular fork.

• 05-29-2008 2:08 PM In reply to

I agree, but my old bike has a 23C tire and the Cervelo came with 25C tires.  Measuring the sidewall of the 23C vs. the 25C was actually an 1/8" difference....that would easily open it up enough to stop the 'very slight rub' and if you are using a 20C tire, I bet you have at least 1/4" clearance between the tire and fork.  I really don't like the 25C tires, but I don't think they should touch the fork either....I will let the shop take a look at it.  Maybe check the trueness of the wheel and maybe swap the 25C tires for some 23C tires....
  • 05-29-2008 3:55 PM In reply to

1mm clearence would make me nervous.

If a pebble or something got stuck on the rubber, it'd cut the fork going around???

• 05-29-2008 4:38 PM In reply to

I agree, when I rode through some water the tire immediately picked up some crud from the dry pavement and then the rub was a little worse.  Cervelo has already told me if there was an issue with the fork, they would replace it....I bet it is just the wheel needs trued from the factory.  Even when I get that done, I am going to put on my 23C tires that are brand new from my other bike...that will give a little more than 1/8" clearance between tire and fork.

• 05-29-2008 5:23 PM In reply to

• Hammertoe
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-10-2007
    • Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA
    • Posts 71

FWIW...

I just checked my RS with 3T Funda Pro fork, 23C Continental GP4000s tires and have about 1/8" clearance between tire and fork...

Looks like there is plenty of room on my fork...

• 05-29-2008 8:47 PM In reply to

Yes...with a 23C tire, there is plenty of room.  With the supplied 25C tire, there is maybe 1mm and depending on your weight distribution (and body weight) that 1mm disappears quick.  I hightly recommend Cervelo stop shipping these bikes with 25C tires...I rode tonight with an old Bontrager Select wheel with a Fortezza SE 23C tire and it was soooo much better.  Handled better and less rolling resistance.  The Shimano wheels that come on the RS have to go....Select wheels are not by any means a nice wheel, but they blow away the Shimano wheels that come on the RS...time for some Assaults or Attacks....and I think the LBS should give me a set of 23C tires since the 25C don't work...they can have those back for all I care.

• 06-13-2008 12:44 AM In reply to

• JohnC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-13-2008
    • Posts 12

I'm experiencing the same problem.  I'm going to visit my LBS about this tomorrow.

• 06-17-2008 1:24 PM In reply to

I got my RS this week and I have this problem too. Noticed it on my second ride yesterday.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.