in

New Cervelo S5

Last post 10-03-2017 4:07 AM by sausskross. 132 replies.
Page 7 of 9 (133 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-14-2015 2:17 AM In reply to

Re: New Cervelo S5

Mine (above) was with the black logo Zipps
  • 02-14-2015 4:06 PM In reply to

sausskross:

BruisedAlmighty:
    I'll put Zipps on it with the white logo if I had a 2015 S5 (I like the color scheme on the Dura Ace builds). I think it matches great with the white Cervelo logo on the black frame. However, I'm curious about what a de-badged or black Zipp logo would look too.

A picture from another forum ..

I admit. That looks nice!
  • 02-14-2015 5:51 PM In reply to

• Jimster
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2013
    • Barrhaven, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 299

Too dark looking for me.
    Cervelo 2016 S3 (Ultegra, Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubulars, Adamo Road Seat, QXL Chainring)

Cervelo 2013 R3 (Ultegra, Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubulars) SOLD

Cervelo 2013 P5 Three (Dura Ace 11 Spd, Zipp Sub 9 Disc Tubular, Zipp 808 Firecrest Front Tubular, 53 Tooth QXL Ring, Time Trial Seat)

Cervelo 2011 P2 (Ultegra) SOLD

Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp

Garmin Edge 520

• 02-15-2015 8:32 PM In reply to

• mozmo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2015
    • Posts 19

Jimster:
    Too dark looking for me.
    I love the new geometry and changes to the S5, it makes the frame more aesthetically pleasing. But I agree with the dark/black, we've been bombarded with so many black/stealth bikes they're all starting to look generic/indistinguishable. Bring back some color!
  • 02-18-2015 1:54 PM In reply to

Nightly build

Saddle position fixed, stem length decided, cables shortened, 7,5kg weight (58cm, complete bike measured as picture without lights) &
    > 0,019 cdA drag (Tour Magazine speed contest test result for 56cm DA mec. with leg dummy without bottle & bottle cage) .. oSo >>

• 02-23-2015 6:56 AM In reply to

My review for the new S5

After 300km on the new bike it’s a first impression of what the engineers did. They did great. Maybe a rider like Thor Hushovd can reach the limits of this bike, I simply can’t. It’s always accurate stable, precise reactive and blazing fast in acceleration and speed, no limits to label for me.

Riding road bikes since cleats were still nailed to leather soles and thinner distance rings were made from a local locksmith to get two more gears for some years 3000km a month was just normal. Since then all road bikes got a place in my private collection after 60 to 80 tkm.

From technical side the engineers have my trust in every detail they build in with what the mechanic and I saw while finishing this top notch build to ride on for years to come. A new bike has some peculiarities, always. That is how it will fit. Taking my familiar saddle and pedals on board, this parts were just easy. The Cervélo handlebar and the new Shimano levers without clothes line needed some adaption, the levers more than the handlebar. The new DA levers are similar to Campy’s lay on approach.

Not to bend the wrists on the tops of the handlebar too much while rolling the thumbs should be placed relaxed and gloves are good for grip. Uphill everything is all right for a good tension to work hard. The drops have a nice surprise if you grap the arc, the grip feels comfy on a barley visible nearly straight inviting to keep the head down even longer. For behind the hooks with slightly bent elbows just wrap the bar tape a little bit thicker before ending it in the crinkle to prop up the inner hand surface.

The all over balance on the bike can vary from powering to recovering and is TT like aero, if the elbows are bent with hands on the hooks. Having done some intervals that’s all fine for me. My buddies have a lot of fun with my pacing and I myself with the zero altitude flight on the road.

I’d like to say thank you to everyone who was and is involved to build this art of work. The new S5 is a classic from day one, maybe too much input for one release, maybe some months late for market turns. Who cares now it’s out and on for everyone choosing it to have fun, to learn from & with it to get faster .. oSo >>
  • 02-25-2015 2:47 AM In reply to

• smah
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-24-2007
    • Posts 166

sausscross, How would you compare the vertical compliance of your new S5 to your SLC?  I have an SLC and am considering this bike.  Is the S5 comfortable?  I heard one of the issues with the old S5 was that the tail was rather hard and the front was soft.

Thanks. 

• 02-25-2015 3:17 AM In reply to

Having no big issues sitting on my SLC 400km trained, I'd say on the new S5 I could go 800, if days would be long enough. It is smooth and fast on bumps and grooves, not a millisecond squashy. With the wider HED+ rims on bad roads 6bar fw / 7bar rw for 23mm wide tires is still stable ..
  • 03-12-2015 3:54 AM In reply to

With 1.5tkm on the new S5 there did appear and does confirm a hidden feature. The bike very calm and patient feeds to do the right things to get ore stay fast, if it is wanted & simply reminds to leave the unnecessary just out .. oSo >>
  • 03-26-2015 5:42 PM In reply to

What a little bit dust can tell .. oSo >>

• 04-21-2015 9:14 AM In reply to

• DavidL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-29-2015
    • Posts 1

I've just taken delivery of a 2015 S5 as a warranty replacement for a 2014 S5. I really like both bikes, but the new S5 certainly feels a lot stiffer. However, I'm sure there's no way the new frame can be as aero as the 2014 model: the down tube is nowhere near as thin and doesn't hug the front tyre quite so closely; and likewise for the seat tube and the rear tyre. I know the 21 W figure is for the whole bike but that is comparing the new aero handlebar vs the old trad one, and a set of HED Jet 6s vs Cosmic Elites... So what is the actual difference between the 2014 and 2015 S5s with the same wheels and bars on both?
  • 04-21-2015 9:23 AM In reply to

sausskross:

Very likely mud off the rear tire, rather than a sweet flow visualization of air wrapping around the seatstays.  Unfortunately.

2012 S5 Rival
  • 04-21-2015 2:49 PM In reply to

wrongwayup:

sausskross:

Very likely mud off the rear tire, rather than a sweet flow visualization of air wrapping around the seatstays.  Unfortunately.

Horizontally, mhm ..
  • 04-22-2015 2:35 PM In reply to

sausskross:
    Horizontally, mhm ..

Yup - water/mud comes off tires tangentially, which at the top of the wheel, is in a direction towards the front of the bike at 2x the bike's velocity relative to the ground.  Horizontally, as you say. 

Can you tell cycling is an outlet for my under-utilized engineering skills?

2012 S5 Rival
  • 04-23-2015 2:40 PM In reply to

wrongwayup:

Can you tell cycling is an outlet for my under-utilized engineering skills?

I can tell I prefer dramaturgy before unfortunately ..
Page 7 of 9 (133 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.