in

Compact crank shifting woes

Last post 09-02-2017 12:58 PM by nickdodo. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2016 10:19 PM In reply to

Re: Compact crank shifting woes

The K edge chain watcher requires a torque of 7 nM as opposed to the 5nM that comes stock on most FDs. I have found that if 7nM isn't applied the FD will move and toe in, causing the chain to drop. This may be your issue.
    2011 Cervélo RS - SRAM Rival22
    2013 Cervélo R3 - SRAM Red
    2015 Felt F1X - SRAM Force CX1
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2017 BMC Fourstroke01 - Shimano XT
  • 08-02-2017 6:13 PM In reply to

Hi, Did you find a fix for this as I seem to be having the same problem on a Cervelo R5 ( 2016). I've tried Etap and DuraAce Di2 9100. Rotor 3D+ with round chain rings. Changing from 34 to 50 the chain drops inside the 34 and chews up the frame. Fails about once every 100 or 200 miles. That's about once a week for me.
  • 08-02-2017 6:40 PM In reply to

No.  This problem never went away.  I popped a rivet on the FD mount and had to have it replaced.  So I am not crazy.....shifting UP is causing the chain to fall inwards for other cyclists.

• 08-03-2017 4:09 AM In reply to

NYCPrynne, No - I don't think you are crazy. Changing from 34 to 50 my chain will drop inside the front chainring. It only does this occasionally but when it does I am usually spinning 100+rpm. The chain gets forced past the chain catcher and pulled up between the inner chainring and the chain-stay. The result is the frame gets a bit chewed up. What size frame are you running - mine is a 51? Mine is a replacement frame as I had an accident with my first R5. That had DA 9000 mechanical and I rode over 4,500 miles and never dropped a chain. Rotor 3d with 50/34 praxis chain rings. So I know it can work! For the replacement I had SRAM eTap. Rotor 3d+ with rotor NoQ (round chain rings). I had the bike built professionally by a bike shop where I purchased all parts. I had trouble with the shifting & chain drop (both inside as above and outside!). Chain SRAM red and KMC were tried with no difference. The bike shop were excellent and replaced the eTap with DA 9150 Di2. The chain does not drop as frequently but still drops to the inside as described. I still have the Rotor 3d+ with rotor NoQ (round chain rings). I've done about 3,500 miles on the replacement. Chain DA. For a different reason (rear wheel out of alignment) the frame is being replaced. I am hoping the bike shop can resolve the chain drop before I get the new frame. I have managed to mimic the problem on the bike stand so I can see what is happening when the chain drops. I'm hoping that will enable it to be fixed. I'll keep you posted of any progress - maybe help you solve the problem. Nick
  • 08-03-2017 9:54 AM In reply to

Thanks for the details.  I continue to run the Rotor crankset with 50/34 praxis and a Dura-Ace 7900 groupset.  It is a 54cm frame.

Good luck with the replacement frame, and please keep all up to date if you straighten things out.

• 09-02-2017 12:58 PM In reply to

Ive had the frame replaced under warranty and I replaced the chainset with a DA chainset to eliminate any compatibilty issues (the Bike shop did an excellent Part Ex) So far it's working well Nick
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.